• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Manager Sacked/Hired Thread 2024/25

On the other hand...give it someone for a laugh like Wayne Rooney. 🤣🤣🤣

I'd rather we didn't limit ourselves to English managers, and I think with it being a World Cup cycle it's a lot more attractive for an out of work manager - two years, lower workload, greatly talented group, shit loads of money, high profile...maybe a bit early for Klipperty but could you talk Zidane, Pochetino, Xavi into it?

I'd rather we didn't limit ourselves to English managers, and I think with it being a World Cup cycle it's a lot more attractive for an out of work manager - two years, lower workload, greatly talented group, shit loads of money, high profile...maybe a bit early for Klipperty but could you talk Zidane, Pochetino, Xavi into it?
Zidane is a really weird one, loads of Champions Leagues on his CV but I couldn't tell you how his teams play. Pretty sure his English is awful too.

Poch, a lot going for him but if we're happy to let Southgate go because he can't quite get teams over the line...

Don't like Xavi. Wouldn't have got near the Barcelona job without his playing career (à la Lampard at Chelsea) and they looked fucking shit this season under him.

Maybe so. The reservations I have with that is Eriksson and particularly Capello.

Maybe so. The reservations I have with that is Eriksson and particularly Capello.
Not every single foreign manager will be exactly like those two.

I'd take Tuchel if he's available. It wouldn't be a best of the best appointment, but i think he'd do better than Southgate

Eriksson and capello aren't reasons to rule out vast numbers of potential candidates. Eriksson didn't do badly, most seem to think he should have done better than he did (like Southgate). Capello had things bang on at the start. His selections & tactics were good right up to the moment he picked a terrible squad for the world cup undoing all his good work. We ended up being rancid in the tournament. He should have stuck with his original principles.

Zidane is a really weird one, loads of Champions Leagues on his CV but I couldn't tell you how his teams play. Pretty sure his English is awful too.

Poch, a lot going for him but if we're happy to let Southgate go because he can't quite get teams over the line...

Don't like Xavi. Wouldn't have got near the Barcelona job without his playing career (à la Lampard at Chelsea) and they looked fucking shit this season under him.

Aye I was going off reputations for illustrative purposes tbh, I can't remember the last time I watched a foreign domestic game unless it was on bet365 in my acca 🤣

I fact if I hadn't googled my names just in case I'd have included Flick, not knowing he'd gone to Barca. I'm not paid to know about foreign football etcccc

I gather Carsley plays attacking football and I've always enjoyed watching Potter's sides but really every English manager has more questions than answers atm, so don't think we should unnecessarily limit the size of the talent pool we're fishing in

Aye I was going off reputations for illustrative purposes tbh, I can't remember the last time I watched a foreign domestic game unless it was on bet365 in my acca 🤣

I fact if I hadn't googled my names just in case I'd have included Flick, not knowing he'd gone to Barca. I'm not paid to know about foreign football etcccc

I gather Carsley plays attacking football and I've always enjoyed watching Potter's sides but really every English manager has more questions than answers atm, so don't think we should unnecessarily limit the size of the talent pool we're fishing in
Yeah, don't get in the McClaren 2006 trap of "well, we have to go English and he'll have to do, the others are even worse", because we saw where that left us. But I do think the main three mentioned so far in Potter, Howe and Carsley are better than that anyway.

No, its a genuine question. Personally I'd prefer someone who is English, not thick, not smarmy, with a proven track record of managing in the premier league.
That rules a few out and probably only leaves Potter. 😂
Why English?

Poch is a really good shout. Better than any of the English managers mentioned by a distance, can handle big stars and would get the best out of the players.

I'm not a fan of Tuchel I think he struggles with big ego players but he did get the best out of Kane this season and would play a system to suit the players.

No doubt he's a winner too.

Surely Harry Kane gets the job by default?

I know GS walked, but from a pub pundit point of view there are plenty who'd have sacked him at half time of the Slovakia game. Plenty on here too.
Tbh I don’t think it would have made any difference. Call that crazy if you want.

I think Lampard is fucking useless, but I reckon even he gets us to the QFs by default at the WC.

It's as if England prior to Southgate never happened for some people? We have been largely garbage since 66.

We were fucking useless in this tournament. We were a long throw and bicycle kick away from going out to fucking Slovakia. Barely “deserved” to win a single game.

He’s had the best players and fine margins go his way. No one else has ever had that.

We were fucking useless in this tournament. We were a long throw and bicycle kick away from going out to fucking Slovakia. Barely “deserved” to win a single game.

He’s had the best players and fine margins go his way. No one else has ever had that.
We were a last minute winner away from penalties against Belgium in 1990.

We beat Cameroon with 2 penalties in 1990, they dominated us.

Scotland missed a penalty in 96, and then Gascoigne scored a worldie.

Spain had a perfectly legitimate goal disallowed against us, and we beat them on penalties.

Were 90 and 96 "fucking useless" too?

Christ even Alf Ramsey had the goal that probably didn't cross the line in 66.

These are moments, this is what wins games. This is football.

We were fucking hideous in 92, didn't qualify for 94 or 2008, lost to Iceland in 2016, bottom of the group in 2014. Shit in 2000 too, put out by Vio Ganea!

Then there is *that* Algeria game and getting pissed on by Germany 4-1.

There are a lot of England fans who are just like United and Liverpool fans, the entitlement is off the scale.

We were a last minute winner away from penalties against Belgium in 1990.

We beat Cameroon with 2 penalties in 1990, they dominated us.

Scotland missed a penalty in 96, and then Gascoigne scored a worldie.

Spain had a perfectly legitimate goal disallowed against us, and we beat them on penalties.

Were 90 and 96 "fucking useless" too?

These are moments, this is what wins games. This is football.

We were fucking hideous in 92, didn't qualify for 94 or 2008, lost to Iceland in 2016, bottom of the group in 2014. Shit in 2000 too, put out by Vio Ganea!

Then there is *that* Algeria game and getting pissed on by Germany 4-1.

But now the entitlement is off the scale!

There are a lot of England fans who are just like United and Liverpool fans, the entitlement is off the scale.
Born In 1991…

Back