• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Manager Sacked/Hired Thread 2024/25

Its the right time (2 years late probably) thanks for the good times.
Looking forward to the meltdowns when we choose the next one.

Fair play to Southgate . It would have been easy to hang on ,and no doubt the FA would have wanted him to .

He knows he can take them no further and also that he does not have the skills / courage to play a more exciting brand of football , a more entertaining brand as well .

He has however left the players with great experience of playing at this level , going deep into tournaments etc , something that few other English Managers can say . That can be put to good use by the next man .

So that's that then. Will always be remembered as the nearly man. Can't argue with his record. "Decent" to quote Jimmy Anderson.
Not going to knock him. He did his best and almost delivered a trophy. May the next man do better.

My only problem with Southgate leaving is who they replace him with. I think they'll be pressure to make it an Englishmen. Howe might suit all parties at this stage as it's only a matter of time before Newcastle go with a bigger name. Carsley would be the continuity candidate and I think will be seen as English enough. Personally I'd go with Potter, question marks about how he handled Chelsea, but it was a hospital pass

Thanks for the memories but it is the right decision. Taken us as far as he can.

Zero confidence in the FA to appoint a good candidate. They didn't choose Southgate willingly, they chose Allardyce and interviewed Bruce. Southgate stepped in after that debacle.

Betting odds full of spurious candidates, of the serious ones I would be interested in Potter or Pochettino. I would not want Carsley or Howe and definitely not Lampard or anyone like him.

I don't think it has to be a big name or anyone particularly tactically innovative. The best managers just don't work in international football anymore.

I haven't seen anyone mention O'Neil yet. He's absolutely someone England should be looking at.

I don't think it has to be a big name or anyone particularly tactically innovative. The best managers just don't work in international football anymore.

I haven't seen anyone mention O'Neil yet. He's absolutely someone England should be looking at.
GON might get a mention in the press but I doubt it will go beyond that.

Press will throw out names from every angle now but if the FA shortlist isn't just Carsley, Potter and Howe I will be amazed

Kinda feel about Southgate how I do about McCarthy, achieved more than anybody else in my lifetime (at the time) but was limited for the brief he had with glaring weaknesses. Southgate gets to go with heads held high and some gratitude before it turned sour though, which he deserves.

Good on him for recognising he needs to leave. He's taken them as far as he can but couldn't quite take that last step.

A bit of a more attack minded coach and we could be on to something.

Well Spain's manager won the Euros with the U19s and U21s before the full team. Nothing wrong with that route.

For what it's worth, neither the manager of Argentina nor Spain have anything like a solid CV at club level.

I have Bear on Mental Ignore™, apparently.

Gaz 50/1 on Betfair. Looking at some of the other names on the list, I nearly threw up - Rooney 🤮Steve Cooper 🤮 Scott Parker🤮.
Apologies - That's enough now.

Back