• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Manager Sacked/Hired Thread 2024/25

But I didn't expect Punts to use his age as a reason for his poorly made point either.
You ignore all context to suit your narrative but then have the audacity to call me ignorant because I don’t know if we deserved to win against Cameroon in a tournament before I was born. And a fucking semi final in that very tournament with that squad wasn't ‘failing’ by your metrics anyway

I can tell you England were shit in the 70s. Very good in 1982 and unfortunate to not make the semi finals

I can also point to the formidable qualifying record when England play lower ranked teams and say they should be blowing teams like Slovakia away.

And saying the possibility of the replacement being shit means making a replacement is a bad call is a decision as cowardly as Southgate’s tactics.

The FA is the richest national assocoation in world football. Klopp is out there. Pay him

I don't think expecting England to be pretty comfortable and dominant against teams like Slovakia is especially arrogant. I'd expect wolves to be comfortable and dominant against Rotherham for the same reasons. It was one of a number of completely unacceptable performances that deserved to be derided. Expecting that game to be close or a battle is just Cyber levels of paranoia. Nobody expected 6-0, but it was pathetic

You ignore all context to suit your narrative but then have the audacity to call me ignorant because I don’t know if we deserved to win against Cameroon in a tournament before I was born. And a fucking semi final in that very tournament with that squad wasn't ‘failing’ by your metrics anyway
I was challenging this comment:

"He’s had the best players and fine margins go his way. No one else has ever had that."

And specifically highlighted the second part because I don't agree with it, I gave you loads of reasons why and you said you were too young to know!

Yes, making a bold statement like that and then just dismissing my argument with it because of your age, does show ignorance.

Who said it was failing!? My entire point was regarding your statement that no other manager has had fine margins go their way.

They have.

Ramsey, Robson, Venables, Southgate, all rightly seen as successful England managers.

They've ALL had fine margins go their way.

Ramsey was before my time, but I do know this...

Last edited:
And saying the possibility of the replacement being shit means making a replacement is a bad call is a decision as cowardly as Southgate’s tactics.
If you are suggesting that I have made this statement, and I think you are. Then you are wrong.

As I have clarified, it was time for Southgate to go, for his sake and England's.

However I absolutely do not expect his replacement to be more successful than him, especially if we go down the Lampard, Howe or Carsley route, which I think we will and is why I have been "just enjoying" every moment of these Euros, appreciating getting to the final, because I think it'll be a long time until we do again.

If we go down the Klopp or Pep route then great, but I'd be amazed.

In time Southgate will be appreciated far more than he is now.

Time for the FA to show some bollocks then and go for a top tier manager rather than settling for a Carsley.

Doing the same thing and expecting different results is of course the definition of insanity.

I mean Klopp is ACTUALLY available. No compensation to pay. Sure you have to convince the bloke to want it, but opportunities like this for a national side are hen's teeth and it needs to be an opportunity taken. Safe options will see England still qualify (which I genuinely don't think a Lampard would guarantee), get through group stages while everyone says team X are playing all the football, and England are dull, and then a "gallant" failure to follow against a top ranked team.

With the players available, it doesn't have to be like that. You invite the current squad to play Klopp heavy metal football and it would put the shit up any team in world international football. Any team. England would be respected and feared.

The top teams don't particularly fear England just at the moment. Especially if they back themselves to be good at penalties. England need to release the hand brake. Let the talent shine, and then it might be a lot of fun to watch.

Lost 4-1 to Celtic yesterday

I can't see an elite manager being interested in the Chelsea job when it comes back up.

The squad is so bloated and so imbalanced. The way they've structured deals mean there's surely a period of austerity on the way, the owner is a fucking nutjob...other than a disgusting salary it's just got nothing attractive about it

I think Maresca has the making of a very good manager but it's not going to be brilliant straight away and Chelsea have proven that they won't give managers time if they don't succeed in the first 6 months.

I suppose the only thing in its favour is it being a super-deluxe version of the Watford job. The place is a nuthouse so no-one is going to blame you too much if it all goes wrong, or if they randomly decide to sack you.

Reactions: b3h
Chelsea fan I know said the defence was horrendously unorganised to an alarming degree in the Celtic game

Chelsea fan I know said the defence was horrendously unorganised to an alarming degree in the Celtic game
It's always going to be at the start when you switch from someone like Poch to Maresca. Things like that take time and you need to build a squad carefully to suit the style to really see positive results.

Thiago Silva was still easily their best CH last season and he's 58 years old. None of the other ones they've signed since the takeover particularly impress me and they keep putting Colwill at LB when he's fit which is just crazy.

Back