• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Manager Sacked/Hired Thread 2023/24

Status
Not open for further replies.
Doesn't matter really does it. We can chat bubbles on the subject but the end result will be.

Decide we have money: Someone decent
Decide we still have nowt: The Portugese Gary O'Neil or one of the standard Brit bosses like Sammy A (depends if we go back to being Team Jorge or stay as Team Hobbs).
Isn't that the point of this place?

I did we say we can chat but we know the outcome is dependant on what mood Jeff is in when the time comes.

I think he will be quick in binning GO because he didn't pick him. Soon binned Lambert off when he realised he was shit. He clung on to Bruno for longer as he was his pick (as in Jorge said he should)

So if/when GO goes the hope is Jeff is happy to spend again. If not, GO failing will = that failure carrying on.

I don't think we have a bottom three squad (not when you consider what everyone else has), so really it's up to O'Neil to keep us out of that conversation. If we are mired at that level then he won't last very long.

Like we weren't as bad this time last year as Lage made us look.

I wouldn't want him (Nuno) back either, I'd rather keep that chapter closed. I didn't want him sacked, I'm just not a fan of trying to recreate the past.
I’d love to have him back. I’m not convinced he would be a success but I’ve just never been able to let go. :cry:

Reactions: b3h
I don't think we have a bottom three squad (not when you consider what everyone else has), so really it's up to O'Neil to keep us out of that conversation. If we are mired at that level then he won't last very long.

Like we weren't as bad this time last year as Lage made us look.
GoN has performed as badly as Lage did.

GON deserves the chance to be proven to be out of his depth, FWIW I think he will be and is on that pathway. The difference between him and Lage is the club decided to appoint him as part of a process which Hobbs and Fosun need to own. The process was cheap, English and unemployed, but if the alternatives are Smith and Lampard then I'd have employed him as the less obvious candidate. Lage was a coronation based on who Mendes wanted. They are both disgraceful choices, but choices made with different agendas

I'd argue Lage absolutely was a disgraceful choice.

We were one weirdo season with no fans removed from back to back 7th place finishes (and no Covid pause means 2019/20 would have been better than 7th, I can say that with 99.9% certainty). His half page CV and zero profile was never anything like suitable for that brief nor was the fact that his English was appalling. To go directly from our best manager since Cullis/McGarry/Barnwell (choose your own candidate, as someone removed from all those eras I would argue Cullis) to that was spectacularly bad judgement.

If we're accepting that we think/hope we will finish 14th-17th this season with a budget to match then Gary O'Neil sort of fits that, even if it's not the choice any of us would have made.

Lage has actual failure on his twice (might fill a page now), literally Benfica's worst run in their entire history and the drivel that was March-October 2022 here.

Arguably O'Neil doesn't have any yet...

And O'Neil isn't a cunt, at least as far as I can tell. Lage absolutely was.

GON deserves the chance to be proven to be out of his depth, FWIW I think he will be and is on that pathway. The difference between him and Lage is the club decided to appoint him as part of a process which Hobbs and Fosun need to own. The process was cheap, English and unemployed, but if the alternatives are Smith and Lampard then I'd have employed him as the less obvious candidate. Lage was a coronation based on who Mendes wanted. They are both disgraceful choices, but choices made with different agendas
I don't agree with you first sentence but I do with the rest of your post.

We've made a mistake.

I was more interested in who people think should/ could be next.

It’ll be big Sam for his legendary avoiding relegation reputation, even though it’s not that great.

Allardyce has relegated his last 2 clubs. Only 4 games at Leeds but he had half a season at Albion

He "retired" six years ago.

Since then he's had half a season at Everton who didn't need saving from anything, football was so bad that it was completely untenable and he got sacked. Relegated Albion, relegated Leeds, and he's 69 next month.

Just wouldn't happen, he was a bit of a managerial meme regarding survival some time ago but it may as well be ancient history now. He isn't even cheap, he cost Leeds £500k for a month of work that was fucking shit.

All good points, but Jeffs in charge so who knows?

But we do know, we have no track record of making that kind of appointment, he isn't even vaguely a suitable candidate. There's as much chance of us signing Leon Clarke on a free because we're light on strikers.

I still have a forlorn hope that something is going to change at Wolves, he knows it, hence why he's hanging around in Wolverhampton and why we've hired a cheap, inexpensive patsy in the meantime. Bullshit I know but I can but hope
Hang on, what do you mean 'hanging around in Wolverhampton???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back