• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Manager Sacked/Hired Thread 2019/20

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's really conflicting. I like O'Neill a lot, but I was really looking forward to stoke slumping back in to league 1 where they belong with PV, PVF, PVFC.

Phil Neville is getting pushed at the end of his contract, but before the Euros that was originally supposed to signify its end

Since the women's world cup England have been pretty below par but it isn't a lot of thanks for a good job at that tournament to then get turfed out.

Since the women's world cup England have been pretty below par but it isn't a lot of thanks for a good job at that tournament to then get turfed out.

Another good player but shit coach. It's almost like being a good player has no bearing on how good a coach you are.

Another good player but shit coach. It's almost like being a good player has no bearing on how good a coach you are.

Yep Im sure you'll find all the best coaches were mediocre players (or backup keepers :) )

It's a valid point obviously.

Fergie - shit player in Scottish football
Wenger - shit
Klopp - average Mainz defender
Mourinho...

Obviously Ancelloti, Capello, Guardiola, Cruyff and Zidane slightly weaken the theory!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I would like to see Zidane away from Real. I don't think that much of him despite cleaning up in Europe a millions times with them

It's a valid point obviously.

Fergie - shit player in Scottish football
Wenger - shit
Klopp - average Mainz defender
Mourinho...

Obviously Ancelloti, Capello, Guardiola, Cruyff and Zidane slightly weaken the theory!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You can add Sacchi, Sarri, Nagelsmann and AVB to the list of people who have never kicked a ball as a professional to be top level coaches. And of course those who have kicked a ball as a pro but not very often include our resident Demi-God of a manager.

The NFL rely on your coaching ability at the top level no matter background but football chairmen and fans seem to think that being a player somehow makes you a good candidate to be a manager. This is exsassabated by the FA fast tracking ex-players to be coaches making football a closed shop.

It's not a football specific issue though is it?

Just one of those things that happens in various places, people do well at something so they're given an opportunity to progress to a higher role on the assumption that good performance in the first role will easily transfer to the second one, it doesn't always work out. We've got a few middle managers at work who are blatantly not cut out for any sort of management position, they were very good at the initial job role and have just sort of coasted into the management role through their seniority rather than anything else, they lack the people skills and leadership to be effective managers of a team but they're seen as the best of that discipline so get that role by default.

It's not a football specific issue though is it?

Just one of those things that happens in various places, people do well at something so they're given an opportunity to progress to a higher role on the assumption that good performance in the first role will easily transfer to the second one, it doesn't always work out. We've got a few middle managers at work who are blatantly not cut out for any sort of management position, they were very good at the initial job role and have just sort of coasted into the management role through their seniority rather than anything else, they lack the people skills and leadership to be effective managers of a team but they're seen as the best of that discipline so get that role by default.

Unusual for a governing body to fast track qualifications in coaching (managing) because you're good at playing (tradesman).

Graeme Jones sacked by Luton.

Nigel Clough out at Burton to save them cash. Jake Buxton in as player managerh

New four year deal for Hassenhuttl.

Pep Clotet leaving Blues whenever this season ends.

Go on, reappoint Cotterill, you know you want to.

From what I've seen/read it seems to me he did a decent job there, wants to go back to Spain now. Lot of Blues fans on Twitter want Craig Gardner as manager, go for it I say...

Surely some unfinished business for Harry or maybe time to give JoH a chance higher up the ladder. He succesfully, via a season being voided, saved Billericay Town from relegation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back