• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Incoming Transfers Everywhere Thread: Summer 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nunes issue had never particularly been effort has it? He has been under 3 different managers, moved around, seemingly worked at fitting where ever he has been asked to play. Describing him as a rat deserting a sinking ship is unfair, I am sure everyone thinks this about their club, but am convinced we have a bigger ratio of idiot fans than other teams. (I dont mean Jinky btw!)

Yeah, I don’t think effort has been an issue. Brain farts, poor decision making yes.

I think the structure of the way Pep will coach him will make or break him. If he knows exactly what he has to do where and when rather than being as free as we let him be he could be world class. Pep won’t tolerate the carelessness with the ball

He'll go down as one of our least memorable big signings and stupidest deals for me.

Ordinarily all I'd care about it getting as much money as possible for him, but as I doubt we'll see much of it anyway, I don't even feel that.

Pretty meh about the whole thing, let's just get him gone and try and reshape with what we have left

It's a risky move for Nunes. He needs to perform much better at City or he'll be sidelined like Kalvin Phillips.

In a year at Wolves he's not been good enough, not lived up to the hype or the price tag.

It's plain to see he has oodles of potential, other than glimmers, he's been nowhere near City levels.

City have proven before that they won't go beyond a certain valuation for a player (Cucurella).

I've seen some suggesting we hold out for £80m! He's not worth that. I'm not sure he's shown enough to have increased his value TBH. We should be thankful for anything above £50m IMHO.

A half decent preseason and one of those glimmers at United has made people giddy, he's been decidedly average in a Wolves shirt - some of that is to do with not being played in his best position I'm sure, but he's been average none the less.

He'll go down as one of our least memorable big signings and stupidest deals for me.

Ordinarily all I'd care about it getting as much money as possible for him, but as I doubt we'll see much of it anyway, I don't even feel that.

Pretty meh about the whole thing, let's just get him gone and try and reshape with what we have left
If we end up with £60m, he'll be considered a successful deal and rightly so.

On the playing side, yeah if he goes now, he'll have been very meh.

I keep reading this, but he was shit when we played him in his 'best position'?
We don't have the personnel to play him in his best position. His best position doesn't work for Wolves. He's never been a good fit for us, he may thrive in a different (better) environment.

If we end up with £60m, he'll be considered a successful deal and rightly so.

On the playing side, yeah if he goes now, he'll have been very meh.

I didn't say successful or otherwise, I said stupid.

I hope we never pay a stupid amount again just to be a year's placeholder for a player waiting a big club, and just get 6/10 performances from them during that time. Waste of everyone's time and we get nothing out of it.

I didn't say successful or otherwise, I said stupid.
Oh right, successful but stupid! Nice one, make lots of sense :rolleyes:
I hope we never pay a stupid amount again just to be a year's placeholder for a player waiting a big club, and just get 6/10 performances from them during that time. Waste of everyone's time and we get nothing out of it.
We're on the verge of getting circa £20m out of it.

I'm with you though, paying big fees for flipping players is a risky business. Far better to spend sub £20m when wheeling and dealing.

I keep reading this, but he was shit when we played him in his 'best position'?
Read an article about how he played that position in Portugal, where he had Paulinha (wrong spelling maybe) beside him. He’s never played alongside a player like that for us.

Im not saying that’s necessarily the reason why he never performed in that position, but definitely a factor.

We have also been pretty turgid the time he’s been here, you see with a lot of players when they play for a different/better team they’re a totally different player.

Wouldn’t suprise me he goes to city and is outstanding.

Yeah it’s weird, it’s kinda what we expected when we signed him in terms of getting a profit for him after a year but without the performances inbetween

Nunes issue had never particularly been effort has it? He has been under 3 different managers, moved around, seemingly worked at fitting where ever he has been asked to play.
It was clear last summer he wanted to move to a bigger club than Wolves but he came anyway. His effort levels last season were acceptable but I think most of us would have happily taken our money back as there wasn’t much else most of the time. Clearly playing just two games under GO has added £15m to his value 😁😁

I'm with you though, paying big fees for flipping players is a risky business. Far better to spend sub £20m when wheeling and dealing.
Spending sub 20, or even ‘wheeling and dealing’ feels a pipe dream at this point 🤣

Read an article about how he played that position in Portugal, where he had Paulinha (wrong spelling maybe) beside him. He’s never played alongside a player like that for us.
Elements of that, elements of playing for a team that dominated the ball rather than one that doesn’t.

I'd try and get all 3 of Doyle, McAtee and Palmer (1 on loan). Solves all our playing personnel problems bar CB.

But the Semedo money would do that along with a new RB.

I wouldn't want Doyle as the only part of the deal unless he was almost free. I don't see the point of buying a 4th choice midfielder unless you get his mates as part of the deal too.

Last edited:
Not sure how you can call him a rat leaving a sinking ship. Plus, in any normal circumstance where we are likely to be reinvesting the money, then him leaving is doing us a favour. He hasn’t provided £45m of output for us, so getting that plus more is a bonus and allows us to reset and try again.

But obviously losing a first XI player with no clue whether we will spend the money or spend it wisely if we do, is the issue with the deal.

I'd try and get all 3 of Doyle, McAtee and Palmer (1 on loan). Solves all our playing personnel problems bar CB.

But the Semedo money would do that along with a new RB.
Could well have asked and Palmer and McAtee aren’t interested. Hard to imagine that if Doyle has been discussed the others haven’t.

Even if we did 'make' £20m profit out of it when we take out Sporting's cut (big if), we've had a player who's been unspectacular for us but still an integral part of the first XI, we now have to replace him in an already small squad and it's doubtful we'll see much of that £20m to do that.

So yeah, it was a stupid deal and I don't see much success for anyone there except for Nunes and his agent

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back