• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Incoming Transfers Everywhere Thread: Summer 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.
It wasn't that long ago FFS!

Like Leeds signed Robbie Fowler off Liverpool in December 2001. It's hardly sepia-tinged memories here.

Tough shit, plan better (hypothetically).

With the money in the game right now, a "365 window" sounds like chaos to me.
It wasn’t a 365 window though was it?

It wasn’t a 365 window though was it?
I have no idea what it used to be! Windows are all I've ever known.

I really don't love the idea that you could be in mid-October and have player just decide "you know what, fuck this, sell me". There's definitely something about the idea of "you're here for 6 months, bare minimum, pitch the fuck in because the rest of us are, too" that appeals to me.

I like players being able to control their own careers but making it easier to force your way out of a club just whenever feels to me like it would be rife with exploitation.

I dunno, just my feeling. I don't think y'all are stupid for suggesting otherwise.

Tough shit, plan better (hypothetically).

With the money in the game right now, a "365 window" sounds like chaos to me.
Not at all, it makes things very simple, you want a player, you offer money, they accept or tell you to fuck off and you move onto your next target. You get players when you need them rather than wait 4 months.

At least with transfer windows there are 7 months of the year for us to not sign anyone without it pissing you off

Not at all, it makes things very simple, you want a player, you offer money, they accept or tell you to fuck off and you move onto your next target. You get players when you need them rather than wait 4 months.
And don't have to panic and just sign any old wanker on August 31st. You know, we could just sign someone better next week if there weren't some arbitrary rule there.

I thought it was but my memory is fucked.
Last week in March to the end of the season you couldn't sign anyone. That seems a fine cut off.

Worked for decades on end too without a single soul saying "you know what would be better? Having loads of months where no-one moves anywhere".

If I remember rightly it was to stop title contenders buying the best players off their rivals to “buy the title”. Or maybe I dreamed that bit.
Seems like the sort of argument people would have used even if it had no basis in reality tbf.

If I remember rightly it was to stop title contenders buying the best players off their rivals to “buy the title”. Or maybe I dreamed that bit.
Yeah. And at the other end of the table too, imagine this year if we're 17th and Luton are 18th with 3 games left, we bid £30m for their best three players and they'd all want to go.

You don't need what we have now, it's bollocks.

It did happen. I can’t give any examples as my memory is fucked. Not as badly as sycophantia’s though thankfully.
Oh, I bet it did. What I mean is more that that argument suggested that the windows would help tamp down on a "Big 6" taking up permanent residency at the top of the table; as has been pointed out, in some ways the windows have perpetuated that (though I'd probably argue that historical clout, UCL football, and wages are still the bigger factors).

Oh, I bet it did. What I mean is more that that argument suggested that the windows would help tamp down on a "Big 6" taking up permanent residency at the top of the table; as has been pointed out, in some ways the windows have perpetuated that (though I'd probably argue that historical clout, UCL football, and wages are still the bigger factors).
They've just served no positive purpose at all. Various hoarding and panic buys at either end of the scale are the only consequences.

I'll happily big up all the improvements from the 80s/90/00s. I'm not an IN MY DAY wanker. This has been a stupid move, there wasn't a problem to start with.

Just don't think we'll see eye-to-eye on it. I like that a squad is crystallized for roughly 6 months at a time. Work with what you have.

Really not trying to pick a fight or anything and I certainly don't think you're a wanker.

Oh, also, not meaning to imply that the window setup has no drawbacks whatsoever. You guys were there in the before times, I wasn't.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back