• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Incoming Transfers Everywhere Thread: Summer 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.
As it stands, we could, theoretically, walk away from a deal involving a CB. As soon as Kilman goes we can't.
We absolutely could as long as we still had a good week of the window left. We'll have numerous targets to work our way down.

Last edited:
As soon as we sell Berra we'll be fine.

Chill out man.

Pretty much any time a transfer is classed as a "panic buy" it's because the buying club is desperate and/or has lots of money to spend and the selling club is aware of those factors.

You and Johnny can tag team me all you like but if you think the value isn't effected by the desperation of the buyer or seller then you're talking pure unadulterated bollocks.

Panic buys don't happen 3 months before a season starts.

I think it goes without saying that we won't be approaching Jody Craddock.
So what's the worry, then?

Getting a player better than Max is going to cost regardless. We're either prepared to pay up or we're not, and I'd bet we'll feel more comfortable paying up with 40m Kilman Bucks burning a hole in Hobbs' suit pocket.

Like it or not, rational or not, the price we're asking for Kilman is fairly indicative of the market for CBs at the moment.

So what's the worry, then?

Getting a player better than Max is going to cost regardless. We're either prepared to pay up or we're not, and I'd bet we'll feel more comfortable paying up with 40m Kilman Bucks burning a hole in Hobbs' suit pocket.

Like it or not, rational or not, the price we're asking for Kilman is fairly indicative of the market for CBs at the moment.
Simple economics. If the person who is selling the thing knows we definitely need the thing then it's harder to negotiate for the thing.

It might not be price, it could be the terms of deal. Bonuses, buy back clauses etc.

It's much easier to negotiate a good salary for a new job if you already have a job.

Percy says we are still under pressure to sell more to ease FFP worries, he's usually reliable so whether it's true or not, that's the line he's being fed so I don't get how that marries up with us rejecting a bid of over 30m for a player you could probably replace for about 15m.

Percy says we are still under pressure to sell more to ease FFP worries, he's usually reliable so whether it's true or not, that's the line he's being fed so I don't get how that marries up with us rejecting a bid of over 30m for a player you could probably replace for about 15m.
He's talking bollocks. He's good for transfers but maybe he doesn't understand FFP? Plenty of journalists don't.

It's the only response to absurd arguments.

Do you reckon another club will charge us more for a winger if Podence goes?

Anything around £10m for Podence and we’ve got to take that, really. Of course, fans of other clubs and journalists outside of Wolves will scoff at the deal as he was our top scorer last season etc etc etc.

Been a while since you're better than that has been rolled out.

I didn't even clock it was you that posted it, I'm not picking on you.

Simple economics. If the person who is selling the thing knows we definitely need the thing then it's harder to negotiate for the thing.

It might not be price, it could be the terms of deal. Bonuses, buy back clauses etc.

It's much easier to negotiate a good salary for a new job if you already have a job.
There's no such thing as "simple economics".

Moreover, Wolves, being a Premier League club, are not on financially equal footing with 99% of clubs the world over. We're richer. Way richer.

Point being that there are a number of reasons why a selling club might play hardball with us and they could justifiably do so regardless of the number of CBs on the roster. And, equally, we can play hardball with them, because hard cash is more valuable to Rennes than to West Ham, for example.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back