• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Incoming Transfers Everywhere Thread: Summer 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.
What did they pay? £50m plus rings a bell
They did.
But they won't be getting that back for him. He wants out and the club want him gone to free up his wages to waste on someone else

I will say that for as much as think people tend to underrate Nelson, I don't know why we think he's a better RWB than RB.

He's much better defensively than going forward, although we haven't really helped him out by shunting the likes of Adama or Trincao out there in front of him. The mistakes this season have been bad, for certain, but he's hardly alone in being below par this year.

I will say that for as much as think people tend to underrate Nelson, I don't know why we think he's a better RWB than RB.

He's much better defensively than going forward, although we haven't really helped him out by shunting the likes of Adama or Trincao out there in front of him. The mistakes this season have been bad, for certain, but he's hardly alone in being below par this year.
Some of his defending this season has been atrocious as has Jonny's. Either of them could get back to the players they were or are capable of but it's a big risk. Not one I'd be taking if other options genuinely exist at an affordable cost

In our position in the table, the only players we'll be able to attract are fringe players or those who used to be good but haven't quite hit the heights recently. Gambles basically. No wonder we're after 6 as the chances of them all working out are slim.

Bang average 😂

I'm personally more worried about our CBs than our fullbacks at the moment, by and large. We need depth at RB so we either need to be looking at upgrading Nelson or we need to be frugal/cost-effective.

Hard for me to imagine AWB fits either bill.
He was awful when he came. Then got to a situation where he wasn’t awful which got miconstrued as good.

He was a WB who offered zero in the final third and defensively still had a rick in him. Now he was very good 1 v 1 generally (after the first 6 months). But thats not enough on its own.

There has always been this wierd dichotomy with him where people say he’s either great or shit and can’t just say he’s average. It was often said “he carries the ball up the pitch well”. Great, he runs into the gaping hole in front of him (which is often a result of playing a back 5 against a back 4 or a midfield 3) then doesn’t actually do anything just plays it back to Neves. That is not a stand out characteristic.

As TT says he’s been rubbish this year. So have the CBs. We need both.

I'm not against the signing of AWB, but surely he's as big a risk as hoping Semedo or Jonny get back to form. At least we know those 2 have been good within the last 12 months, don't think AWB has done anything really worthwhile all the time he's been at Utd as he?

He was good last season but he's been abysmal this season, and it's not because we've hung him out to dry with a mental formation or anything.

He was dreadful vs Cadiz, as was Nathan Stearman next to him. If we keep picking them we'll go down, it's a free goal down there.

But AWB doesn't seem to fit what we want either.

I'm not against the signing of AWB, but surely he's as big a risk as hoping Semedo or Jonny get back to form. At least we know those 2 have been good within the last 12 months, don't think AWB has done anything really worthwhile all the time he's been at Utd as he?
Mainly good in his first 2 seasons there, poor last when they wanted him to play further forwards. Not in the team at all this.

They got pissed off with him because he’s a pretty poor attacking option. And when teams play United they often park the bus meaning the FB is the spare man.

How many teams are going to park the bus against us? Very few if any.

And if we’re asking him to just overlap and put it in the mixer then he’s more than capable of that.

They got pissed off with him because he’s a pretty poor attacking option. And when teams play United they often park the bus meaning the FB is the spare man.

How many teams are going to park the bus against us? Very few if any.

And if we’re asking him to just overlap and put it in the mixer then he’s more than capable of that.
Fair enough, although I hope JL has more of a plan than 'put it in the mixer' given the forwards we have.
I realise we might sign a few Duncan Ferguson types but we'll have to wait and see.

Fair enough, although I hope JL has more of a plan than 'put it in the mixer' given the forwards we have.
I realise we might sign a few Duncan Ferguson types but we'll have to wait and see.
Liverpool play put it in the mixer. Just with loads of quality, numbers in the box and good movement.

Nothing wrong with it as a tactic. It’s not long hoofs from the CBs Pulis style.

If we only want our RB to do the bare minimum, we shouldn't be breaking the bank over it.

Liverpool play put it in the mixer. Just with loads of quality, numbers in the box and good movement.

Nothing wrong with it as a tactic. It’s not long hoofs from the CBs Pulis style.
I've nothing against balls into the box with quality, or even the occasional long ball, as long as that's not the only tactics and also we have the players to take advantage of that.
Apologies if I misconstrued 'putting it in the mixer' as Pulis style, if that's not what you meant.

I don't think we're in a great position to be particularly choosy at the moment. I'd happily take a RB who is better defensively than Semedo.

If JL starts asking AWB to start doing things that he's not capable then maybe he isn't the messiah.

If we go 4-2-3-1 or 4-3-3 and want a RB to be a RB then there is some logic to signing Wan Bissaka. We would defo need a minimum of one more CB, probably 2. Kilman and Collins are getting ripped up.

I’m also thinking JL has taken a look at Nelson and is rather less than convinced

I don't think we're in a great position to be particularly choosy at the moment. I'd happily take a RB who is better defensively than Semedo.

If JL starts asking AWB to start doing things that he's not capable then maybe he isn't the messiah.
Sure, but as Tony has pointed out, equally we don't want to blow £40m on another RB we're looking to replace in two years.

I just can't imagine United asking a fair price for him, nor do I want to consider his wages.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back