• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Incoming Transfers Everywhere Thread: Summer 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.
He's still a decent outball defending a lead with 10 minutes to go to get you up the pitch, so I can see why having that option on the bench would appeal. I don't think that's worth the money he's looking for or that he'd be up for it
He isn't and hasn't been for 18 months. He's lost a yard of pace and his control isn't as good as it was.

He has improved his standing jump though.

All coincides with him being too muscle-bound.

I agree with you that he isn't going to get what we want to give him. Bin and not before time.

I really don't understand how PTS and LL have let this "Wolves are considering Semedo's affordabilty" nonsense stick without challenge. If they're genuinely considering just letting him go in June, then it's a scandal. The only possible thinking behind it is that they're trying to get him to accept reduced terms by manufacturing some threat
My take is it's nothing to do with Semedo directly and is Jeff preparing the fans for a Summer of low net spend by rolling out the FFP bullshit again. No sign of an Ask Wolves this year so he needs to get it out in another way. LL took the full bait, PTS only part of it. I'd be OK if they said we've spent a lot in the last 12 months so need to cut our cloth, as I would if Neves amongst others has to go to fund the changes. I don't know why FFP always has to be used as the excuse when the truth is perfectly acceptable

If they are genuinely considering whether or not to let him go it'll be because they have someone lined up and presumably think Bolla can get a work permit and is capable of being involved rather than it being we can't afford it imo

Any PL club outside the rich 6 is always looking for those £10-20m signings that are effective and can later possibly be flipped for bigger money.

That's not news.

Any PL club outside the rich 6 is always looking for those £10-20m signings that are effective and can later possibly be flipped for bigger money.

That's not news.
No way we get Scott or any other British signing we've been linked with for less then £20m

My take is it's nothing to do with Semedo directly and is Jeff preparing the fans for a Summer of low net spend by rolling out the FFP bullshit again. No sign of an Ask Wolves this year so he needs to get it out in another way. LL took the full bait, PTS only part of it. I'd be OK if they said we've spent a lot in the last 12 months so need to cut our cloth, as I would if Neves amongst others has to go to fund the changes. I don't know why FFP always has to be used as the excuse when the truth is perfectly acceptable

If they are genuinely considering whether or not to let him go it'll be because they have someone lined up and presumably think Bolla can get a work permit and is capable of being involved rather than it being we can't afford it imo
Indeed, selling MGW for £45m (book value) gave us an incredible amount of headroom and covers all the spending of this season (close to £150m!) under FFP rules.

I'm at the point I just want Fosun to sell up and fuck off.

No way we get Scott or any other British signing we've been linked with for less then £20m
I don't think that's what the club had in mind when they fed the media that line. Wanting to try and stick to that range of fees doesn't mean you can't push the boat out a bit more for the right player now and then.

I think for the FFP stuff, again they've fed a line based on the fact we spent a lot of money in two windows just gone and we can't keep doing that for a full 3 year period or we'd be in trouble. Which is obvious.

Saying we need to sell to buy is also obvious. Leicester used to make a big sale almost every season which allowed their spending. They didn't make that last season and found themselves unable to spend much last summer. I guess they've seen what happened with Leicester, the relegation issues it has brought with it, and something similar is trying to be avoided.

And no doubt it is in the club's best interests to put out there that they need to keep a tight rein on the finances. One to manage expectations, but also to tell clubs we aren't going to be held ransom to huge fees.

It's all financial PR.

I don't think that's what the club had in mind when they fed the media that line. Wanting to try and stick to that range of fees doesn't mean you can't push the boat out a bit more for the right player now and then.

I think for the FFP stuff, again they've fed a line based on the fact we spent a lot of money in two windows just gone and we can't keep doing that for a full 3 year period or we'd be in trouble. Which is obvious.

Saying we need to sell to buy is also obvious. Leicester used to make a big sale almost every season which allowed their spending. They didn't make that last season and found themselves unable to spend much last summer. I guess they've seen what happened with Leicester, the relegation issues it has brought with it, and something similar is trying to be avoided.

And no doubt it is in the club's best interests to put out there that they need to keep a tight rein on the finances. One to manage expectations, but also to tell clubs we aren't going to be held ransom to huge fees.

It's all financial PR.

Only for people who don't understand simple finance and FFP.

You've even managed to get it wrong.

I’m not sure how loan fees received are booked under FFP but surely selling duds like Guedes for a low fee is much better than loaning them out? Or is the loan sometimes used to move ‘income’ into a future period when it can be better attributed?

MGW in effect ‘paying’ for all of this seasons outlay in FFP terms is a good example (Johnny 75 above) of how it works

I’m not sure how loan fees received are booked under FFP but surely selling duds like Guedes for a low fee is much better than loaning them out? Or is the loan sometimes used to move ‘income’ into a future period when it can be better attributed?

MGW in effect ‘paying’ for all of this seasons outlay in FFP terms is a good example (Johnny 75 above) of how it works
I could be wrong, but if Guedes was signed for 35m on a 5yr contract, he is 7m per year on the books (I’m away on holiday and a few beers in so apologies if figures are wrong)

If you then loan said player, for say a 4m fee for the year, then effectively you’d have negative 3m on the books for that year.

I’m not sure how loan fees received are booked under FFP but surely selling duds like Guedes for a low fee is much better than loaning them out?
Depends on the sums. We signed Guedes for £27.5m on a 5 year deal, so we have £22m left from an FFP perspective. If we were to sell him for £15m, the remaining £7m would be charged straight to next seasons numbers. If we were to loan him for £2m he'd cost half of that FFP wise next season, but obviously we don't have the real cash and presumably would still be paying instalments to Valencia for him

At least that's my understanding

Last edited:
Depends on the sums. We signed Guedes for £27.5m on a 5 year deal, so we have £22m left from an FFP perspective. If we were to sell him for £15m, the remaining £7m would be charged straight to next seasons numbers. If we were to loan him for £2m he'd cost half of that FFP wise next season, but obviously we don't have the real cash and presumably would still be paying instalments to Valencia for him

At least that's my understanding
Just realised my numbers were Fabio’s. Ooops.

So based on that, say we sold Guedes for 15m this year, it wouldn’t be profit and we would basically have a 0 effect for him (wiping out 15m from what we currently owe) and pay the remainder next year?

Or is it amortised over the term of his contract still? So we sell him for 15m which leaves 7m for next year, or would that 7m be distributed over the remaining 3 yrs of his contract?

Just realised my numbers were Fabio’s. Ooops.

So based on that, say we sold Guedes for 15m this year, it wouldn’t be profit and we would basically have a 0 effect for him (wiping out 15m from what we currently owe) and pay the remainder next year?

Or is it amortised over the term of his contract still? So we sell him for 15m which leaves 7m for next year, or would that 7m be distributed over the remaining 3 yrs of his contract?
£7m straight into next season

Sell the player at a loss and you crystallise the loss of the remainder of their contracted amortisation immediately. Loan out and you postpone the pain, reduce it by one seasons worth of amortisation and may receive a loan fee and cut the wages to be paid.

Jonny and RAN are the same position and the replacement already exists
Neves' replacement is already here
Raul, Fabio and Costa all play the same position and imo aren't viable options irrespective of whether we sign somebody or not
Adama and Moutinho bearly play now and definitely aren't in our first 11

In the majority of the examples you've given the players need moving on either because they are past their best or the manager doesn't fancy them. The decisions sit outside of recruiting players in.

The likes of Kilman, Semedo, Sa etc stay or don't leave until they are replaced
We can move them on all if people wish ( not disagreeing with your views on those players ) , but replacements do not grow on trees . Strikers are really hard to find ( scoring ones that is ) .
I didn't even mention Podence , Hwang or Sasa , Collins or any of the loaned out players .

It will take far more than one window to replace all those .

I reckon Oxlaide-Chamberlain to Newcastle is a given this summer if they qualify for the CL.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back