• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Incoming Transfers Everywhere Thread: Summer 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rightly or wrongly that's been the consistent message coming out of the club all year. He still wants 100k a week though which is why he hasn't already signed for someone. It'll be interesting to see at what point Mendes tells him he's deluded.

The biggest problem , needless to say , with wishing to move on a whole load of players , as some hear would like us to do ( I'm not disagreeing with them by the way , the players in question haven't measured up ) , is that we need proper replacements lined up that are willing to come and want to play for us .
Those replacements are extremely hard to find - actually no, it's not hard to find players , it's hard to find players of the necessary quality . Look at all the money we have spent - similar to a lot of other clubs - on players who have fallen far short of what we needed .

Fine - let's move on Adama , Costa , Sa , Semedo , Moutinho , Neves , Jonny , RAN , Kilman , Fabio , Raul...............but are we going to find better replacements . In some cases yes we will , but in a fair few cases , no .

Jonny and RAN are the same position and the replacement already exists
Neves' replacement is already here
Raul, Fabio and Costa all play the same position and imo aren't viable options irrespective of whether we sign somebody or not
Adama and Moutinho bearly play now and definitely aren't in our first 11

In the majority of the examples you've given the players need moving on either because they are past their best or the manager doesn't fancy them. The decisions sit outside of recruiting players in.

The likes of Kilman, Semedo, Sa etc stay or don't leave until they are replaced

Then why are there so many shit keepers in top level football?
I deleted that as I thought better of it and amended to player stays unless better option is found. I do think we can easily change Sa though not necessarily with a better overall keeper, but one with attributes that better suits what the manager is looking for. Brighton are a good example, they are playing what many see as an inferior keeper, but the manager prefers what he offers

Jonny and RAN are the same position and the replacement already exists
Neves' replacement is already here
Raul, Fabio and Costa all play the same position and imo aren't viable options irrespective of whether we sign somebody or not
Adama and Moutinho bearly play now and definitely aren't in our first 11

In the majority of the examples you've given the players need moving on either because they are past their best or the manager doesn't fancy them. The decisions sit outside of recruiting players in.

The likes of Kilman, Semedo, Sa etc stay or don't leave until they are replaced
Not to mention Adama and Moutinho are out of contact (as is Semedo technically) and will leave

We don't need to replace Adama as he does fuck all anyway.

It still amazes me that some fans can't see the game that unfolds in front of them and what type of football the manager plays. They must watch it on Ceefax.

There does seem to be a lot of noise about Lop wanting to keep Adama.

There does seem to be a lot of noise about Lop wanting to keep Adama.
He's still a decent outball defending a lead with 10 minutes to go to get you up the pitch, so I can see why having that option on the bench would appeal. I don't think that's worth the money he's looking for or that he'd be up for it

Semedo is in the balance for me: he's a decent enough PL right-back (looks a lot better with Nunes in front of him) but then can we get cheaper, younger and with the potential to get better?

I do think the noise coming out against over-relying on Mendes is really refreshing and much needed. Guedes was pants, Nunes has taken a long time to adjust and is still is not all there, Sa is quite hit and miss at times - the biggest success he has given us is Neves, closely followed by Boly and Moutinho. Jota too, I suppose, as again we signed him for fairly little and, at the time, he was fairly instrumental to how we played.

I get the onus being put on transfer fees that we don't need to spend north of £30m to get decent players as we can do it in that £5-15m range (Dawson, Lemina, Gomes, Sarabia, Moutinho, Hwang, B. Traore, potentially Sasa) and Brighton and Brentford are both proof you can sign Premier League ready players for those fees and flip them for big money when the big boys inevitably come calling. We also seem to be scouting those players (remains to be seen if it continues, however) and of course we actually have an incredibly competent coach now.

I mean, the FFP stuff is fairly concerning, but I think the noises are right on the whole.

Can we buy and pay a new RB (for the next two years) for less than two years of Semedos wages would be? I'd doubt that we could. Financially, it makes sense to extend Semedos contract.

Can we buy and pay a new RB (for the next two years) for less than two years of Semedos wages would be? I'd doubt that we could. Financially, it makes sense to extend Semedos contract.
If as assumed Jonny is on his way, then we'd need to sign 2 RBs, Lembikisa just isn't ready yet imo.
I don't get the shouting for Semedo to be sold/let go, he's not as good as I'd hoped but he's fine defensively for the most part, our quickest, most athletic defender. His attacking play isn't good enough but as he's our player already I think there are positions much more in need.

Liam has taken out the bit about mendes trying to get Gomes into Lyon.
He took that out quite quickly to be honest, as when I read the article yesterday, I went through it 2-3 times wondering what the fuck all the chatter was on here about mendes getting involved in that transfer. I couldn't find the reference and wondered if you had all gone mad, or whether it was just me.

If as assumed Jonny is on his way, then we'd need to sign 2 RBs, Lembikisa just isn't ready yet imo.
I don't get the shouting for Semedo to be sold/let go, he's not as good as I'd hoped but he's fine defensively for the most part, our quickest, most athletic defender. His attacking play isn't good enough but as he's our player already I think there are positions much more in need.
It's the Sa example again for me, what the manager wants from the position isn't what he offers. He'd be 4th on my list to upgrade of what is our current best 11 behind Costa, Kilman and Sa

If there’s any truth in Liam’s article and we are indeed looking for sub-£20m signings

If there's any truth to it we should be hoping Forest nudge to safety so we can get that sweet £8-10m (?) MGW money!

He's still a decent outball defending a lead with 10 minutes to go to get you up the pitch, so I can see why having that option on the bench would appeal. I don't think that's worth the money he's looking for or that he'd be up for it
we don't use him in that way though. He keeps in shape and will be back defending. Can't remember which game it was in april, but Lopetegui prepped adama to come on. we were defending at the time. He should have just stayed on the halfway line for that outball, but no, he trotted back to "defend". we recovered possession, and had no outball.

I really don't understand how PTS and LL have let this "Wolves are considering Semedo's affordabilty" nonsense stick without challenge. If they're genuinely considering just letting him go in June, then it's a scandal. The only possible thinking behind it is that they're trying to get him to accept reduced terms by manufacturing some threat

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back