• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Incoming Transfers Everywhere Thread: Summer 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.
There's zero need to sell him. Until someone comes in and shows they can out perfom him we need him.

He was an unused sub last week, few of us would ever put him into a preferred XI. He has one year left on his deal and whether he's (just) our top scorer or not, he doesn't generally do enough when he does play.

How anyone can argue that Podence is a first XI caliber in the Premier League, after all we’ve seen, is baffling to me.

He should go to Spain, he’d do far better there.

Podence has had a bit of purple patch this season compared to previous seasons. I totally get the point he's our top scorer this season but i wouldn't be confident saying he'd score the same amount next season. And if he doesn't score at 1 in 4 to 1 in 5 there is no point having him in the team.

I’d be happy for Podence to go.

I’ve done a complete u-turn on Hwang, though. More than happy for him to be in the squad. As said earlier, he’s cheap, doesn’t cause problems and has a knack of being in the right place at the right time. Something we don’t have a lot of in the PL.

Actually quite excited to see what he can offer under Lop.

He's been here over four years now. Has he ever had three good games in a row?

I'd certainly never hang my hat on him getting 10 in a season, which would only just bring him to par to account for all the weaknesses in his game (disappearing, falling over all the time, pointless flicks to nowhere to end attacks, not contributing defensively).

How anyone can argue that Podence is a first XI caliber in the Premier League, after all we’ve seen, is baffling to me.

He should go to Spain, he’d do far better there.
He wouldn't and that's a little lazy TBH. Back to Portugal for Podence for me.

I'd sell Podence too, he doesn't offer anything that others in the squad don't already offer/could offer. I'd start Sarabia and Hwang over him as they fit the tactics better.

I still haven't forgiven Hwang for his schoolboy error against Newcastle that cost us 2 points.
To be fair to him he has improved since then but every time he gets the ball defensively I remember that lob into our box so I'm no big fan. I'd like to see him replaced next season.

he doesn't offer anything that others in the squad don't already offer/could offer.
Wide attackers comparison.

Mins/Shots/Goals

Podence - 1617/39/6 (Mins per goal - 269.5)
Hwang - 764/8/2 (Mins per goal - 382)
Traore - 1267/17/2 (Mins per goal - 633.5)
Sarabia - 642/15/1 (Mins per goal - 642)
Cunha - 683/22/1 (Mins per goal - 683)

Not only does he score more goals per minute, he has more shots on goal than anyone else. Traore is the only one with a credited assist out of the above.

Neves has the most shots on goal of anyone in the entire squad with 56, which is telling in itself. Podence is next best with 39. He's the only attacker with any substantial goal threat. New players might be better yes, but I'd rather keep Podence around just in case than sell him and be left with "might".

And then he goes for free in a year?

Balls to "just in case", just in case what. When you pick him now you have no idea what you're going to get.

No, he signs a new contract this summer. I haven't heard anything that suggests he wouldn't want to or that we wouldn't offer him one.

If Lopetegui wants to keep Traore (which he has said) then surely he'd want to keep Podence.

Oh and just in case whoever we sign this summer can't score goals either.

I don't think Lopetegui does particularly want to keep Adama or that we've offered him a new deal.

I doubt we'll be offering Podence one either.

I don't think Lopetegui does particularly want to keep Adama or that we've offered him a new deal.

I doubt we'll be offering Podence one either.
“He is one player I want to continue here,” says Lopetegui. “I think it would be a good decision for him and the club.”

We'd be crazy not to offer Podence a new deal, even if it's just protecting his value.

What value?

We can wait for a club to give us our £18m back but I suspect that would be a very long wait.

As for Adama, he isn't going to say "he drives me up the wall, he's shit and I can't wait for him to leave". He won't be here in six weeks.

No-one is questioning that value, it's reducing the argument down to "he is our top scorer so he has to stay and we should give him a new deal" which is daft.

Olofinjana was our top scorer in 2006/7. He needed hoying in the sea.

If we get to a point where he's not a viable member of the squad then brilliant, but I don't think we are. I could stomach another year of Podence twatting about if it meant we upgraded say GK, CB and Striker.

He shouldn’t be starting and, Forest aside, he’s fucking appalling as a sub. So what’s the point in keeping him on the bench ahead of Chiquinho or Campbell.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back