• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Incoming Transfers Everywhere Thread: Summer 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.
That was an argument that pissed me off about Lage. More than one person on here accused me of wanting him to fail because I thought he would. Like some cheap Internet points to 100 people would trump the overall misery and financial amount invested. Silly accusation, even I want to be happy

That was an argument that pissed me off about Lage. More than one person on here accused me of wanting him to fail because I thought he would. Like some cheap Internet points to 100 people would trump the overall misery and financial amount invested. Silly accusation, even I want to be happy
I was with you all the way to here.

It wasn't really aimed at people here, moreso people I actually know in real life who would genuinely be happier if he is indeed shit. Wouldn't be surprised to hear they are generally bellends.

Tricky one, IMO.

Obviously you want whoever is the guy in charge to be successful because that means the club is successful. However, once it becomes abundantly clear that the guy in charge ain't gonna be successful, it's tempting to want them to fail hard so that they're gone sooner than later.

We've seen this season the price of failing slowly.

He didn’t fail slowly this season, he carried over the shitness from February last season and carried it on from the first game this season. He failed as soon as the season kicked off, solely because he is fucking shit at every aspect of football management.

First time I've heard him speaking. He comes across well: confident and positive. We seem to be laying a firm foundation off the pitch, which ought to underpin success on it.

For him to mention the stadium expansion, womens team etc for me that indicates his job is a lot bigger than just replacing Scott.

Also the fact Jeff is not doing this interview or been publicly involved in much since the day JL arrived also indicates he has gone back to doing his job rather than trying to do 15 others at the same time

Million times better than Scott, but then my dog would be better and her main skill is sniffing bottoms.
Does she have a whiteboard to assist other dogs in this area?

An interesting, if slightly throwaway comment in there for me, and maybe I'm reading too much into it, was when he said about Lopetegui 'not managing through fear'. Is that a veiled dig at 'he who shall not be named'?

An interesting, if slightly throwaway comment in there for me, and maybe I'm reading too much into it, was when he said about Lopetegui 'not managing through fear'. Is that a veiled dig at 'he who shall not be named'?
I doubt Lage could scare Jarred Gillett, so no chance he is striking fear into the players

I doubt Lage could scare Jarred Gillett, so no chance he is striking fear into the players
I get that, but I wonder if that was part of the problem? He tried to manage through fear, and basically just didn't have the respect of the players because of it?

The way the team fell away and couldn't recover would suggest a respect thing but I think that is more from his tactics of "keep doing the same thing until it works" rather than trying to install fear.

I would say Nuno had the players fearing him more than Lage...but they respected him

Ultimately when you've got someone bawling you out all the time (often publicly)...if it's José Mourinho even miles past his peak, he gets away with it because of his gravitas and the fact that he's won everything there is to win. When it's some chump who never played for anyone and has had one managerial job (that he fell into from being caretaker, and then got sacked), as an international footballer you're going to think "who the fuck are you". Especially when said chump took over from someone who all the players loved, whether they were in the team or not.

I don't blame the players for having no respect for Lage, I had none for him whatsoever.

Might not have been fear in the physically imposing way or bawling and shouting way.

Could have been the snide middle manager way of blaming shit on other people to sympathetic ears above them.

Which then becomes insidious and downright nasty when the negativity hits the whole team.

I can see Lage doing that.

I may have said before, I felt that’s why Saiss, Ruddy and Coady were shipped out, they may have been speaking out or against Bruno and contributing to him losing the dressing room, , he run to Jeff, Jeff gets rid of the three of them to prove a point, couple of other players think fuck this, put transfer requests in, moral collapses.

And because you love this meme, here it is just for you Johnny xx ;) 478C1412-1EAB-4C8C-A013-1D480D686F88.jpeg

Don't think Coady was causing bother. Just in his stupid hamfisted way, Lage couldn't say "Hi Conor, Max and Nathan will probably start the season but don't worry, you will get plenty of game time and we still really value you". No, he has to leave him playing friendlies solely with the likes of Connor Ronan and Yerson Mosquera, who are clearly never going to play any actual competitive games. Superb messaging. So then he asked to leave.

For at least some time, you can get away with being a good tactician/coach but a bad man manager (allegedly this was Hoddle, although I'm not sure I agree with the first bit) or the other way around, which I guess Ken would fit into to an extent. It'll fall apart eventually but you can have some success along the way.

Lage was fucking wank at both.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back