• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Incoming Transfers Everywhere Thread: Summer 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pep and Klopp haven't adapted. They impose their style on the squad.

Good managers have an identity and stick with it.
You're right on that , but it helps when you have massive funds to buy the players you feel will fit your identity or way of playing .

Maybe Julen will be given those funds , who knows .

Very hard to see Semedo suddenly firing in crosses all over the place .

On the other hand the World Cup gives the new Management team an opportunity they will never get again at this point in November . Perhaps all that the likes of Jonny , Nunes , Kilman , Semedo and others need is an injection of confidence that the likes of JL will bring , and as a result very much take to whatever style JL has .

Not sure we have the financial clout of Barca, Liverpool, man city or Dortmund tbf.

Really good managers very rarely take over in the circumstances Lopetegui has!

Not sure we have the financial clout of Barca, Liverpool, man city or Dortmund tbf.
The first 3 I'll give you but Dortmund have spent less than us in the last 4 seasons.

This is true, the man clearly likes a challenge!
I suspect as part of that challenge he will have to be pragmatic and use existing squad to the best of their abilities. The summer will be when he can build a team that fits his footballing philosophy.

I suspect as part of that challenge he will have to be pragmatic and use existing squad to the best of their abilities. The summer will be when he can build a team that fits his footballing philosophy.
I don't think he'd have taken the job if that was the case.

I would think he's been promised funds in Jan.

The first 3 I'll give you but Dortmund have spent less than us in the last 4 seasons.

Whilst true, the calibre of player they are able to attract is higher. Bellingham for example would never have signed for us or Haaland.

I think we'll see a balance of pragmatism from him, especially initially. If I look at our squad and how Sevilla played whenever I watched them we'd need serious surgery, a completely new front 3, additional midfielder minimum, right back.

I don't think he'd have taken the job if that was the case.

I would think he's been promised funds in Jan.
Undoubtedly but he’s unlikely to get all the players he would like in January so a full move to how he wants to set up might to have to wait. Hopefully not but any team sitting in the relegation zone is likely to be unattractive to many players.

Whilst true, the calibre of player they are able to attract is higher. Bellingham for example would never have signed for us or Haaland.

I think we'll see a balance of pragmatism from him, especially initially. If I look at our squad and how Sevilla played whenever I watched them we'd need serious surgery, a completely new front 3, additional midfielder minimum, right back.
I don't think it's as drastic as that at all.

Certainly a striker and probably a RB are immediate concerns but that's not unknown.

I think the two wide positions with Pod/ Guedes/ Campbell/ Neto (when fit) are fine.

I can see a CB coming in but may well just recall Sanderson to do that role.

I don't think it's as drastic as that at all.

Certainly a striker and probably a RB are immediate concerns but that's not unknown.

I think the two wide positions with Pod/ Guedes/ Campbell/ Neto (when fit) are fine.

I can see a CB coming in but may well just recall Sanderson to do that role.

Who is going to be the Ever Banega/ Rakitic type creative midfielder?

Campbell is completely unproven, Neto is more of a traditional winger than inside forward.

For Sevilla last year 34 of their 52 goals came from players who played in the front 3. Could you see ours get anywhere near that? They'll do well to go 10 between them.

Pretty sure "the Dortmund model" or words to that effect were being used back when Fosun took over to describe their plans.

Who is going to be the Ever Banega/ Rakitic type creative midfielder?

Campbell is completely unproven, Neto is more of a traditional winger than inside forward.

For Sevilla last year 34 of their 52 goals came from players who played in the front 3. Could you see ours get anywhere near that? They'll do well to go 10 between them.
Both Neves and Nunes are very creative and can certainly do that job. Moutinho certainly can but not all the time.

It's the more forward midfielder where I think we may have problems but I'm sure he has a plan for that and may see Torres or Jordan come in.

It will be interesting to see what he does and I'm looking forward to it

Campbell may be unproven but he's looked good when he's come on and I like Guedes and think Lopetegui will get the best out of him.

Everybody has said we need a striker and I think Lopetegui will get goals out of all of them. It won't be swashbuckling but I think it will be effective.

You would have to assume that Lopetegui will start with a clean slate with regard to all the existing players , giving them all a chance to prove their worth under him . He has 5 / 6 weeks to watch them before the window opens .
We've all been disappointed with several of our players from existing ones to new players that arrived in the Summer , but for me it's draw a line under the sand time and re assess everyone under a proper Professional outfit , which shouldn't lack for much .

Both Neves and Nunes are very creative and can certainly do that job. Moutinho certainly can but not all the time.

It's the more forward midfielder where I think we may have problems but I'm sure he has a plan for that and may see Torres or Jordan come in.

It will be interesting to see what he does and I'm looking forward to it

Campbell may be unproven but he's looked good when he's come on and I like Guedes and think Lopetegui will get the best out of him.

Everybody has said we need a striker and I think Lopetegui will get goals out of all of them. It won't be swashbuckling but I think it will be effective.

Creative in the middle third but not final, as shown by their low assist numbers. We need someone who is going to be able to link in the final 3rd.

Torres had 3 assists last season, Jordan 1, not what I'd describe as the answer to our predicament.

I think Campbell is talented but isn't premier league ready as it is, I don't rate Guedes so we differ there.

I hope he is able to turn players who average about 3/4 goals a season into something more, I'm not convinced.

Pretty sure "the Dortmund model" or words to that effect were being used back when Fosun took over to describe their plans.
I said to Johnny on Saturday, Jeff has mentioned Spurs, Leipzig & Dortmund among others as 'role model' clubs but we don't actually seem to operate anything like any of them. We don't have the scouting, multi club structure or continuity in style of play like RB do, we don't buy low/sell high like Dortmund (I'd imagine they'd point to Jota but the way that deal has been structured makes a mockery of that argument), we haven't invested in our infrastructure or been ruthless in the transfer market like Spurs have... Can't think of any clubs at all who are run similarly to the way we are at the moment.

The recruitment is completely scattergun. We've tried to pick up highly rated young players (but ended up paying a ridiculous fee for Silva which completely defeats the point) but then lost out on huge transfer fees with Pote & Vitinha, we've tried to pick players up like Chiquinho, Aït-Nouri and Mosquera before they make the move to a bigger club and their value skyrockets but then we've also overpaid for players like Guedes, Semedo etc (and would've if we'd activated the deal for Trincão) after they've made their 'name' at another club, we've lurched from relying on Mendes to that reliance apparently being a factor when we've sacked a manger and now right back to that same 'strategy'...

There's this weird thing we do where we just give in to players wishes and let them go wherever they want. Adama to Barça for free for 6 months like he's a make-a-wish kid, Coady to Everton for a fraction of his value so he can be closer to home and get game time before the World Cup, now this weird situation with Raúl where we've basically just allowed him to act like a free agent while he prepares for the WC, all of this under the guise of rewarding players for past loyalty at vast cost to the club. Then on the flip side we treat loyal players like Saïss and Ruddy like shit when their contracts wind down.

It's clear they don't have a clue what they're doing on this front.

They've been after Lopetegui for a long time, he was apparently advising them on various matters before they took over and he appears to have a large management team (instead of just letting Bruno, his bro and Big Tone run the show) who he can hopefully delegate to. Hopefully he's a long term appointment and his remit is larger than just the coaching side. If he's here for 4/5 years, has a big influence on all aspects of the club and is backed appropriately I can't see it being anything other than a success. If he's just a Head Coach and the rest stays the same then he's going to have his work cut out for him no matter how good of a coach he is.

Creative in the middle third but not final, as shown by their low assist numbers. We need someone who is going to be able to link in the final 3rd.

Torres had 3 assists last season, Jordan 1, not what I'd describe as the answer to our predicament.

I think Campbell is talented but isn't premier league ready as it is, I don't rate Guedes so we differ there.

I hope he is able to turn players who average about 3/4 goals a season into something more, I'm not convinced.
It's a funny one at Sevilla, was Monchi a genius for picking up undervalued players or did his head coaches improve them/get the best out of them? Probably a bit of both but Lope can definitely point to a few success stories there where he's got the best out of someone that other managers couldn't.

Well, Rakatic was the top assists man last season and he's deep lying like Neves. Then it's the inverted forward players, Ocampos and Corona (Guedes + A.N.Other at Wolves).

Top scorer was Mir followed by Ocampos.

We'll certainly be in for a target man on loan but I think Guedes and Campbell/ Pod/ Neto will be good enough for the other berth.

The other two midfield players barely contributed to assists (4 for Torres from 38 games) so not as important as I first thought.

Well, Rakatic was the top assists man last season and he's deep lying like Neves. Then it's the inverted forward players, Ocampos and Corona (Guedes + A.N.Other at Wolves).

Top scorer was Mir followed by Ocampos.

We'll certainly be in for a target man on loan but I think Guedes and Campbell/ Pod/ Neto will be good enough for the other berth.

The other two midfield players barely contributed to assists (4 for Torres from 38 games) so not as important as I first thought.

Rakitic played further forward for Sevilla. He was very much the link between the midfield and attack. Jordan plays the role Neves would as the single pivot who drops into the back 3.

I said to Johnny on Saturday, Jeff has mentioned Spurs, Leipzig & Dortmund among others as 'role model' clubs but we don't actually seem to operate anything like any of them. We don't have the scouting, multi club structure or continuity in style of play like RB do, we don't buy low/sell high like Dortmund (I'd imagine they'd point to Jota but the way that deal has been structured makes a mockery of that argument), we haven't invested in our infrastructure or been ruthless in the transfer market like Spurs have... Can't think of any clubs at all who are run similarly to the way we are at the moment.

The recruitment is completely scattergun. We've tried to pick up highly rated young players (but ended up paying a ridiculous fee for Silva which completely defeats the point) but then lost out on huge transfer fees with Pote & Vitinha, we've tried to pick players up like Chiquinho, Aït-Nouri and Mosquera before they make the move to a bigger club and their value skyrockets but then we've also overpaid for players like Guedes, Semedo etc (and would've if we'd activated the deal for Trincão) after they've made their 'name' at another club, we've lurched from relying on Mendes to that reliance apparently being a factor when we've sacked a manger and now right back to that same 'strategy'...

There's this weird thing we do where we just give in to players wishes and let them go wherever they want. Adama to Barça for free for 6 months like he's a make-a-wish kid, Coady to Everton for a fraction of his value so he can be closer to home and get game time before the World Cup, now this weird situation with Raúl where we've basically just allowed him to act like a free agent while he prepares for the WC, all of this under the guise of rewarding players for past loyalty at vast cost to the club. Then on the flip side we treat loyal players like Saïss and Ruddy like shit when their contracts wind down.

It's clear they don't have a clue what they're doing on this front.

They've been after Lopetegui for a long time, he was apparently advising them on various matters before they took over and he appears to have a large management team (instead of just letting Bruno, his bro and Big Tone run the show) who he can hopefully delegate to. Hopefully he's a long term appointment and his remit is larger than just the coaching side. If he's here for 4/5 years, has a big influence on all aspects of the club and is backed appropriately I can't see it being anything other than a success. If he's just a Head Coach and the rest stays the same then he's going to have his work cut out for him no matter how good of a coach he is.

This is a superb summary. Agree with everything here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back