• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Golf Thread

I'll pencil in the 9th.
How much is it to play the open? (judging by that pic, you need 4 to make your 4ball)

I was kidding, I'm going to watch The Open.

Whilst I like playing, the idea of going to watch golf just seems boring to me. Ryder cup aside, I CBA watching golf. There are a few sports I like to play but don't like to watch.
I seem to recall looking into my dads 65th birthday present, & one idea was to play somewhere like st andrews. I think they have 4 courses, & I'm pretty sure one of the courses was over £200 to play!

:icon_lol:

I managed to get a game again today. Again the briefest of a very light shower for 5 minutes.
Went round in 99. There were 7 or 8 temp greens though. Had 2 poor holes where I repeatedly took too much ground & ended up taking 2-3 more shots than I should've:argh:

There was aguy following us & we invited him to play through, as we were holding him up. He asked to join us instead, & we had a pleasant back 9 with his brogue. He hailed from Dublin but moved over here just over 20 years or so ago. & he could hit a ball! Apparently his wife paid for a golf weekend for him for their wedding anniversary! She'd walked the first 4 holes with him, but had gone off to take some photographs.

Driving was a bit hit & miss, half were really good, the other half wou;ld've been good had they been straight!
Putted ok, & seem to be improving my short game a little this year.

Hoping to get a game next tuesday.

I went to hit some balls on the range today, in anticipation of playing for the first ever time in September.

I am not very good at this game.

I went to hit some balls on the range today, in anticipation of playing for the first ever time in September.

I am not very good at this game.

.... And most golfers will tell you that their best shots always happen at the range.

I don't mind at all really.
I will be getting a game tomorrow morning at hill top.
I can travel.
I haven't played too many courses. Usually play hill top, patshull if my dad is playing (as he's a member). Have played chesterton, found it to be a bit meh & didn't like having to cross a road - that's just wierd! Usec to play the grange at walsall. Played perton once as a kid. It was a new course then, & was just long.

In summary, I'm open to suggestions. You or del have any preferences?

Went & played Hill Top today. It is holding a shedload of water. Got very muddy. Not in great shape at all. Should have been close to breaking 90, but didn't, & am choosing to blame the conditions.

Leeds' mantra of aiming to putt less than 36 times in a round has been adopted thoroughly!

Edit - hill top is holding water. Made me think I'd dread playing brandhall at the mo - that has always held loads of water!

So who are people's tips for the British Open?

I'll be having a flutter on Ricky Fowler and Hunter Mahan. Both excellent straight ball strikers which should be a huge asset this week.

I feel like it could finally be Westwoods year. I hope so anyway!

Wish I was going actually I've got a free day on Saturday!

With the weather the way it is then it could be anyone depending on tee times. Very doubtful it will be an American.

Hilltop is a nightmare if it's rained in the previous week.

I'm playing Wergs on Sunday, and I'm dreading it. I'm still walking with a crutch as I can barely put any weight on my left foot at all. Hoping that by the time it comes it's eased up a bit, and a change in stance, extremely light swing and a buggy get me through the day. I'd be loathe to miss it as it's my football team's annual golf day :(

On the 9th, I'm not fussed where we play tbh, there are some cracking deals on teeofftimes so there's plenty of choice for £25 or under. Not worth me playing anywhere too spectacular or challenging as I'm going to be very rusty - including Sunday I'll have only played twice in 7 weeks.

On The Open, I fancy either Luke or Koooooch.

Anybody who keeps it straight as the rough will be ridiculously penal after all the rain. So that probably rules out Bubba Watson, and Phil Mickelson, and potentially Tiger unless he has the driver right on song.

Kuchar is a very decent shout - US Open shows he can certainly keep it straight.

McIlroy is driving it all over the place so I think he is unlikely to win. Maybe McDowell if he has his A game with him.

BTW - Been looking at courses in Edinburgh to play on my stag and Kenny has found an absolute beast called Braid Hills to thrash around. LOTS of heather.

If we're doing this after an elegant sufficiency of lager and a red-hot bowel-scorching curry - Sorry, I mean a thoroughly bland and unexciting three-course meal, served with water - I'm sure you'll be glad of the softness to calm your screaming sphincter.

Back