• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Golf Thread

I'm playing off 18 and driver is my favourite club.

That's great as lonh as you can hit it, I am still somewhat erratic woth the driver, and got down to 18 without ever hitting one. In reality you only need to hit one on the holes you need that extra distance to reach in 2 t all depends on your game, I play regular with a 10 handicaper who can't hit his lob wedge regular, where if I need height and soft landing I hit my 60 degree, which by the way is a blade.

a plus 3 golfing pal of mine once told me, 18 Fairway's 50 yrds shorter are better than 18 rough's / trees, 50 to 75 yards closer to the hole. Something that has stayed with me for years.
actually plaig golf with these golfers is brilliant the way they plot there way round the course is a lesson to all golfers, also of course at that level it's a different game they play

I would add to GLASGOW's post that most high handicap golfers' reasons for staying high handicap is down to them not playing the course to their handicap. Remember if you're off 28 (for example), you have 2 extra shots for holes stroke index 1 to 10 and one extra for holes 11 to 18. Where a lot of shots can be saved is on your short game. Golf isn't just about belting the ball off the tee, it's about working the ball around the course.

I agree. I am just fortunate that I can hit my driver very consistently. My weakness is around the greens where I must chuck ten shots away every round, along with a tendency to block my irons right if my natural draw isn't happening on a given day.

How many putts would you average over 18 holes? Less than 36?

120 yards and in, and I'm comfortable I'll land on the green, but my putting is a disgrace lately. I'm averaging 45 putts a round on my last 5 rounds.

Driving is erratic, but irons are solid (apart from Sunday!). But I do disagree with Glasgow suggesting that you leave your driver at home and go round with a 5. It's no good being scared of the thing - you've got to practice with it to get better. All the range work in world will help, but it's just *different* from the tee at the course, and so you've got to persevere in my opion. Yes, it'll hurt your scores for a summer, but you'll be a better golfer for it in the long run.

120 yards and in, and I'm comfortable I'll land on the green, but my putting is a disgrace lately. I'm averaging 45 putts a round on my last 5 rounds.

Driving is erratic, but irons are solid (apart from Sunday!). But I do disagree with Glasgow suggesting that you leave your driver at home and go round with a 5. It's no good being scared of the thing - you've got to practice with it to get better. All the range work in world will help, but it's just *different* from the tee at the course, and so you've got to persevere in my opion. Yes, it'll hurt your scores for a summer, but you'll be a better golfer for it in the long run.

As mentioned, my dad loves his hybrids too much, & now struggles with irons around the course.

Though my drives aren't great, I'm content-ish with them.
My iron play can be good, but equally if I ground the club, or top the ball, & it trickles 10 yards, it is exceptionally frustrating. Consistency is the thing I'd like to acheive.

My short game needs improving. A mate I play with has a very good short game (though again, this has got worse since he got his hybrids...)

I can putt ok. Not brilliant, but ok. Last year I played a round of golf with my dad & putted in twice from off the green. He could've choked!

I tried out a new putter yesterday. I think I shall use it instead of my old one. The results were very pleasing.

I tried out a new putter yesterday. I think I shall use it instead of my old one. The results were very pleasing.

Hope its a mallet and not a blade.

Looking to play for the 1st time this year next week so not expecting a particularly low score.

It's a blade . I'm suffering today after yesterday especially as I carried my bag.

I got a pull trolley for a birthday, & would never go back to carrying a bag.

carrying a bag is good exercise, but you can be exhausting by the time you get to the 15th...

So my game thursday was called off.
Friday, 4 of us were due to play. 2 Hours before tee off, 2 had dropped out. 1 hour before, my dad calls. I expect him to cancel. He says, lets go for it.

we went. Had 5 mins of very light drizzle in the 3.45 hours. Excellent!

Bit windy, which caused a struggle.

Lost 3 balls during the round, but that is the first time for a couple of years I've lost any.
Started the front 9 weakly - obviously first game of the year rustiness.
Back 9 went well though. Worst score was a 6, but plenty of 4's & 5's, with 3 pars!

Happy day overall.

feeling tired now though...

Chanced it again today, & managed to get a game in with 3 hours of sunshine!
Finally broke my patshull hoodoo & got round in 96. I've never broken 100 there before.
Watched my dad chip in from 55 yards, & on the same hole managed to chip to within 3 inches from 45 yards!

Have to do a full weeks work next week, & then hoping to get a game in on friday 13th :gloom:

Fingers crossed the weather looks passable for tomorrow for a game.
Also got a game pencilled in next tuesday (tbc).

Following this:
Yeah, I also don't play Oct-April usually.

Okely dokely:
29 June (tbc)
18/19 July
1/2 August
9 August
2 days out of 14/15/16/17 August

September is definitely out for me, but I can't say why on a public forum....

Are we still looking at august? I seem to recall Penk said 9 august or the 2 from 4 dates?
If I have nothing to do on 18 & 19 July, I've gotta do some painting & decorating!:eek:hnoes:

Fingers crossed the weather looks passable for tomorrow for a game.
Also got a game pencilled in next tuesday (tbc).

Following this:

Are we still looking at august? I seem to recall Penk said 9 august or the 2 from 4 dates?
If I have nothing to do on 18 & 19 July, I've gotta do some painting & decorating!:eek:hnoes:

9th August is good for me. I can't do the 18th or 19th as I'm playing golf at Little Aston and at the Open respectively.

You're playing golf at the Open?! I should be recovered suffieciently by the ninth. Will be able to confirm in a couple of weeks

Yes.

Golf-Simulator.jpg

We need one more to make a four ball.

Back