• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Goggle Box Thread

Awesome. Just checked on SickBeard and there's so much stuff queued up this week. Homeland, NCIS, CSI, Fringe.

http://blogs.ajc.com/radio-tv-talk/...eland-big-bang-theory-dancing-with-the-stars/

Tell me about it. As I mentioned above I have 12 coming up next week.

I notice you mentioned CSI. I really like the addition of Ted Danson and the current story arc is pretty damn good. I was sad to see Morpheus go at the time but it never hardly skipped a beat. CSI Vegas is one of those shows where it's the same format every week but there's rarely a drop in overall quality.

Last edited:
In my TV folder, I have 170 items to watch. Most are single episodes but there are some complete series as well. This doesn't include to 30 odd films I've yet to watch!

Thats the downside - its almost too easy to add stuff.

My media server has 4Tb of stuff on it....and im currently making plans for building a new one of 12Tb size.

I'm going to have to look into this as I usually stream and the quality is shit usually.

It is easy. I just set up the downloads when I get up and by the time I'm ready I can shut all the software off with the downloads in the correct folder. If I'm bored at work, I shut the office door, break out the earphones and watch some stuff.

Watched the final episode of The Sopranos earlier this evening.

Not sure what to make of it really - I don't think I liked how it ended.

Watched the final episode of The Sopranos earlier this evening.

Not sure what to make of it really - I don't think I liked how it ended.

I think most of us thought 'Is that it?' But when I thought about it some more and watched it again, and considering the whole tone (no pun intended) of the series I thought it was fitting to end the way it did. Watch it again Langers.

I think most of us thought 'Is that it?' But when I thought about it some more and watched it again, and considering the whole tone (no pun intended) of the series I thought it was fitting to end the way it did. Watch it again Langers.

I've watched the scene again and have thought about all the plot lines that could have culminated in something 'final' happening but although I understand the reason why it ended like that, it seems to be slightly out of sync with the whole series which made bold decisions about key characters.

One thing it is successful at - it makes you think a lot about it! But I do have this nagging thought that the writers bottled it a little bit. Maybe my opinion will change but that's the reaction I have right now.

But what a spectacular series it is! I've loved it.

WARNING MAYBE A SPOILER: Do you think? I think the fact that it's a 'life goes on.... or does it?' ending is fitting, although I take your point about the braveness of the writing and I agree, what an exceptional series. Pity it was buried late at night on Channel 4 originally but I don't think HBO have produced better.

Talking of spoilers. I hope anyone planning on watching the third season of Boardwalk Empire has finished watching the second season, as the advert currently being shown on Sky basically shows the finale of the second.

I've read interviews with David Chase and the ending is exactly as the creator planned and intended it to be from a long way out. When I get home I'll send you a link with a fantastic analysis of the last scene Langers. After you've read it you'll realise what a subtle and clever thing he did with all the shots in the scene, whch were very specifically planned and put together. I applaud him for ending the series on his terms.

I hope these spoiler tags work:

The main gist of it is:

The sudden cut to black is Tony dying from his POV. Did you notice the shady looking guy in the baseball cap get up and walk past Tony to the toilets? He could have easily come back out of them and shot him in the head and he wouldn't see it coming, hence the sudden cut.

Last edited:
MORE SPOILERS!!

I understand that living that kind of lifestyle will always mean that they'll be looking over their shoulders just in case, so I do appreciate the reason WHY they ended it like that. But I really don't think it was in keeping with the rest of the series. So many questions were left at the end - and the number of times that cliffhangers were given closure in the past meant that the last half hour of the last show is more of a whodunnit as opposed to the drama you've got to know and love over 6 series.

So I understand it but right now, I don't think I agree with it. But that could change the more I think on it!

Bear - my wife actually put that forward as a possible answer!

As for HBO - The Sopranos would make my top 3 along with Game of Thrones and Band of Brothers.

I just watched the final scene again on YT. I still love it! :D

When I said the guy with the baseball cap earlier, I meant the guy with the jacket at the bar who comes in with AJ who keeps looking over at them.

If you watch it again you'll notice that Tony sits looking at the door as he's waiting for his family to come in. Every time someone comes through the door and the bell rings you get a shot of him looking up at the door immediately followed by his POV shot of the person who's just come in.

After the shady guy in the jacket has gone past you finally get Meadow walk in through the door and again you see Tony look up and then then it immediately cuts to black, which most people interpret as the POV shot just as he dies.

It's now my favourite ending to a TV show ever. To have such a clever way of ending it yet still retain ambiguity over what it meant. Superb. I choose to believe the dying interpretation as that works best for me as i think it's brilliant to kill your lead character off as an ending yet not actually show it!![

Langers - I think I mentioned it before but the main writer for Solranos was Matthew Weiner who is the guy who created Mad Men. which is why I think you'll like that.

Back