• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Goggle Box Thread

The best of men, BBC doing what it does best, the birth of the paralympics, a wonderful drama that had me in floods at the end.

Finished watching the first season of Falling Skies last night. Not brilliant, but decent enough to keep me watching throughout. I'll start on season two tonight.

The Walking Dead is much, much better.

He can be funny without swearing too much, which helps.

He stand up is pretty much stale these day but will forever be a God for his part in the beautifully written Phoenix Nights

He stand up is pretty much stale these day but will forever be a God for his part in the beautifully written Phoenix Nights

True I went to see that show and it was pretty much same stuff as what he did 7 yrs ago.
I once was working across the road from where Phoenix Nights had been filmed (Farnworth Catholic Club), asked to get in to have a look round and was told to feck off as they were sick of tourists!

I was actually quite relieved that last night's stuff was material I hadn't heard before. Not as good as his first two shows (the popular ones - Blackpool Tower and Bolton Albert Halls) but still really made me laugh.

But you're right - Phoenix Nights is absolutely amazing and pisses all over his stand up stuff.

I didn't get into the whole Peter Kat 'thing' until a couple of years ago, which is strange as half of my family lives in the Preston/Chorley areas. Consequently, I've only seen a couple of episodes of Phoenix Nights.

You need to watch them all Pablo - one of the best comedies ever written IMHO.

It helped that Peter Kay co-wrote it with Dave Spikey and Neil Fitzmaurice - they fell out after they finished Phoenix Nights and haven't worked together since, which may be why Peter Kay hasn't done another sitcom since.

I thought he did that one where he and another bloke were doormen?

EDIT - Max and Paddy

EDIT - Max and Paddy

Max and Paddy was ok, but was basically an extension of his stand up. Spikey and Fitzmaurice (Shabba) added something to extra to PN

EDIT - Max and Paddy

I'd forgotten M&P to be honest, I thought it was pretty weak.

I love Phoenix nights, it was brilliant, right up there with Farther Ted and Blackadder in my humble opinion - I wasn't aware that he'd fell out with the other writers, it would explain a few things

Yeah, they didn't help him write Max and Paddy. I actually didn't think that was very good.

I might have to stick Phoenix Nights on now actually - the one with The Captain's wake is my favourite. "Das Jackpot!!!" :icon_lol:

I wasn't aware that he'd fell out with the other writers, it would explain a few things

Basically they got pissed off that Kay got all the credit for PN and never ever when collecting awards or doing interviews mentioned their input.

Yeah, they didn't help him write Max and Paddy. I actually didn't think that was very good.

Against PN its like comparing Mourinho and Terry Connor as managers...........as a stand alone, 1 off series it was ok. Had its moments and thankfully they left it at 1 attempt.

I might have to stick Phoenix Nights on now actually - the one with The Captain's wake is my favourite. "Das Jackpot!!!" :icon_lol:

Right, watched them all now! Most episodes were very good, but the quiz night for the free beer was the best.

The Accused on BBC1 has been very good so far. Olivia Colman is last nights episode was excellent.

Back