• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Goggle Box Thread

Enjoyed MOTD tonight, debating the top 10 premier league captains. For me it's always interesting to hear the little stories of what went on behind the scenes.

Enjoyed MOTD tonight, debating the top 10 premier league captains. For me it's always interesting to hear the little stories of what went on behind the scenes.

Just rewatched Maradona on C4, yes he was a (fantastically gifted) dick head at times but surely no one on the planet could deal with the pressure he faced in Italy.

It's a truly brilliant piece of film. Went to watch it with DW at the Lighthouse Cinema. Thoroughly enjoyably evening.

This sounds like it should be decent. About the birth of football.

The English Game:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-51574065

Just watched this. More a period drama than a history lesson. Eton boys v Northern Scum. The main characters are based on real people but a pointless bit of fiction to finish off the story as they put the key players in a match that their team never played in, one from the same town but still not the right team and changed the scorers. Didn't really need to make that change as the story was fine if they stuck to the truth

I haven't started it yet. Is there much actual football, or it is it mostly drama?

I haven't started it yet. Is there much actual football, or it is it mostly drama?

The football bits are nearly all games between Eton and Darwen & Blackburn (they seem to have merged Rovers and Olympic for this show) so there is a fair amount but the majority of story is based around the lives of one Eton chap (Arthur Kinnaird) and 2 Scottish players (Fergus Suter & James Love) that came down to Darwen and were paid to play. Its like they made Downtown Abbey but chucked some football in to get more men interested. Personally would have prefered them to focus on the football and how it went from the Gentlemans game to including the working class and eventually the pro game. Its still a decent watch but a little bit disapointing with the history rewrite and overall focus

Just watched this. More a period drama than a history lesson. Eton boys v Northern Scum. The main characters are based on real people but a pointless bit of fiction to finish off the story as they put the key players in a match that their team never played in, one from the same town but still not the right team and changed the scorers. Didn't really need to make that change as the story was fine if they stuck to the truth
Utterly dreadful.

The football bits are nearly all games between Eton and Darwen & Blackburn (they seem to have merged Rovers and Olympic for this show) so there is a fair amount but the majority of story is based around the lives of one Eton chap (Arthur Kinnaird) and 2 Scottish players (Fergus Suter & James Love) that came down to Darwen and were paid to play. Its like they made Downtown Abbey but chucked some football in to get more men interested. Personally would have prefered them to focus on the football and how it went from the Gentlemans game to including the working class and eventually the pro game. Its still a decent watch but a little bit disapointing with the history rewrite and overall focus
Cheers Kenny. I had hoped for more based on the trailer.

Into season two of Bloodline and it has got better. Still quite slow and a couple of the characters really grind my gears (think it’s the actors rather than the characters) but the storyline has got some depth now.

We started Luther last night - the other half loves it but I've never seen it. 3 episodes in and it's awesome!

We finished The Tunnel which was consistently good throughout all 3 seasons.

We started Luther last night - the other half loves it but I've never seen it. 3 episodes in and it's awesome!

Never watched Luther, so might be the time to check it out. Is that on the iPlayer?

It was definitely on iplayer, last I looked Netflix didn't have all the series but that has probably changed now.

I'm going to re-watch Stranger Things from the start, just finished The Pacific for the 2nd time. My other half won't watch The Wire with me which frankly is almost grounds for divorce...

I was annoyed the other day when I went to watch the last season of Peaky Blinders and can't seem to find it anywhere. Some companies are not taking this lockdown seriously...

It was definitely on iplayer, last I looked Netflix didn't have all the series but that has probably changed now.

I'm going to re-watch Stranger Things from the start, just finished The Pacific for the 2nd time. My other half won't watch The Wire with me which frankly is almost grounds for divorce...

There are 4 seasons of Luther on Netflix - is that all of them?

My other half has finally agreed to watch Band of Brothers with me. If she doesn't like that, I won't be impressed. If she does, I too have The Pacific to follow it up.

Yeah I think its 4. They must have put the 4th one up in the last couple of months maybe.

I've watched Band of Brothers so many times I can recite most of the lines!

"Remember boys, flies spread diseases, so keep yours closed" is a particular favourite!

Yeah I think its 4. They must have put the 4th one up in the last couple of months maybe.

I've watched Band of Brothers so many times I can recite most of the lines!

"Remember boys, flies spread diseases, so keep yours closed" is a particular favourite!

Amazing to think that BoB was filmed 20 years ago - it improves with every watch and has aged beautifully. I think it has to be my all time favourite drama series - with Chernobyl and Game of Thrones making up the rest of my top 3.

The later series of Luther were tosh anyway.

Is Band of Brothers on Netflix too? Quite fancy watching it again.

Back