• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Goggle Box Thread

True. His Dark Materials is famously complex, especially for a kids book, so can see why it would be difficult. I will reserve judgement until I have seen it, but definitely don’t judge the books by the Rev series.

The books are great. I thought the first episode of this series wasn't too bad

The books are great. I thought the first episode of this series wasn't too bad

I agree. A bit clunky but that's often the way with the first episodes.

Series 2 of The End of the Fucking World started last night. Great first episode.

Of the new Apple TV series;

For All Mankind is decent
Dickinson is dog shit
The Morning Show is okay
See is okay but has potential.

Rich Hall's programme about the cold war last night was brilliant.

Started watching World on Fire. Quite liked the first episode, interesting seeing a glimpse of the start of WW2 from a Polish perspective. Will stick with it.

Also got The Name of the Rose to start. I loved the film so hopefully the series isn't too much of a disappointment.

New End of the Fucking World is on C4 now rather than Netflix, in case anyone missed it

New End of the Fucking World is on C4 now rather than Netflix, in case anyone missed it

I thought it was on Channel 4 originally anyway???

Watched the first two episodes of season 2. It's superb.

I thought it was on Channel 4 originally anyway???

Watched the first two episodes of season 2. It's superb.

Ah fair enough. They must of added it to Netflix after that then

I'll watch it as not got much to watch - currently re-watching Friday Night Dinner :hmmm:

Back on topic, the new series of Glitch on Netflix is excellent.

Funny isn't it, I enjoyed the previous series and was looking forward to the new one but thought it was laughably poor...as if their writers had gone on strike so they'd made it all up as they went along.

Utterly fascinating programme on BBC tonight with Gary Lineker tracing the footsteps of his grandfather, who was in the Army Medical Corps during the Italian campaign in 1943-1944 and was at Monte Cassino.

Amazing interviews with the veterans involved.

Utterly fascinating programme on BBC tonight with Gary Lineker tracing the footsteps of his grandfather, who was in the Army Medical Corps during the Italian campaign in 1943-1944 and was at Monte Cassino.

Amazing interviews with the veterans involved.

Yeah, this was excellent. My great uncle, whom I'm named after, died in the Italian campaign so it's good to see it getting a bit of exposure. Those interviews were very moving.

I've recorded that Lineker programme and am very much looking forward to watching it tonight.

We watched the finale of The Affair last night. It was a very enjoyable and satisfying ending to the show which seems to be a rare thing in TV these days. As a result, I have also had The Whole of the Moon stuck in my head all night and all morning so far (although this is no bad thing).

His Dark Materials - slightly slow paced but better than last week. And Ruth Watson is basically the psycho character she played in Luther which can only be a good thing.

I'm not sure what to make of His Dark Materials. I haven't read the books but have seen the Golden Compass film (although I can't really remember any of the plot!) so I am not sure exactly quite what is going on yet but it seems enjoyable enough to persevere with.

Incidentally, Ruth Wilson was also one of stars of the aforementioned The Affair even though she left before the final season. She plays an American in that so I think this is the first time I have heard her speak in her English accent!

Ruth Wilson is great in Luther.

She's a cardboard cut out pantomime villain in HDM. I thought I'd give the second episode a go seeing as people say it gets better as it goes along, I'm struggling with it as it isn't engaging at all and whilst GOT was slow paced at least it had interesting characters to base plots around.

I think (hope) HDM will escalate a bit in the next episode.
I'm enjoying it (I have read the 3 books, and will start on the next 2 after watching the series) but appreciate the feeling that it is a little slow moving.

Like a good boy I've done all my work for the day and I'll be watching The Mandalorian this afternoon. Looks awesome.

Back