• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Goggle Box Thread

Just finished the first series of Killing Eve. Will be diving straight into series 2. Excellent stuff.
S2 isn't on over here yet. BBC America have exclusive rights to show every episode before the UK is allowed to show it.

Unless you're downloading it...

Seen the first 4 episodes of season 2 and it's as good as season 1.

Watching food unwrapped on C4. Vegan Special. A company in San Francisco produce a chicken nugget from chicken cells/ DNA (hi Cyber) which the presenter likes and says it tastes like chicken if a slightly different texture. Not a single chicken harmed as the DNA comes from feathers (better for the environment too).

Presenter asks his vegan cameraman if he would eat it knowing the ethics of the product. The cameraman says without missing a beat that it's still an animal so he wouldn't. Its this level of cuntitude that makes me want to soylent green all vegans.

Just seen this. 2 things....

1. Not all vegans are the same so just don't with the generalisations please....

2. Surely, synthetic meat isn't meant to appeal to people who have already chosen to become vegan? It'd be like offering a vape to someone who's already successfully quit smoking. I thought the idea behind "grown" meat is to help people who eat too much meat to cut down with a long term aim of replacing it mostly, if not entirely.

2. Surely, synthetic meat isn't meant to appeal to people who have already chosen to become vegan? It'd be like offering a vape to someone who's already successfully quit smoking. I thought the idea behind "grown" meat is to help people who eat too much meat to cut down with a long term aim of replacing it mostly, if not entirely.

That's a bizarre notion. To equate meat to smoking is very strange, it isn't a poison.

Why would you want to cut down on meat? It provides B12 which you struggle to get from a purely vegan diet and cooked meat improves cognitive function. The idea behind grown meat is threefold:

1) Ethically it is better than breeding livestock as you don't kill anything. It is effectively the same as growing a mushroom.
2) It is environmentally friendly as it reduced supply chain needs (reduction in fuels for transport, growing feed for animals, destruction of waste products, gases from livestock). Improves quality of soil, habitat for wild animals and plants and lowers risk of contaminated product
3) It provides cost savings for the meat supply chain which could be passed on to the consumer.

Why wouldn't a vegan want to eat grown meat? They eat grown things as a prerequisite of being a vegan.

Not all vegans are the same, so I'm sure some would happily eat synthetic meat.

My comparison with smoking was more from a 'giving up something you don't want to consume anymore' perspective - which would go some way to explain why a steadfast, hardcore vegan wouldn't be interested in eating a synthetic meat. Just in the same way that I wouldn't want to now consume a "safe" nicotine hit.

I think a lot of people want to cut down on meat and can see the benefit in doing so. What you replace that with is difficult for a lot of people though as meat is such an easy/convenient option. You're not going to go from burgers, hotdogs, fried chicken and kebabs to preparing your quinoa, beetroot and hummus salads in one seemless step. Synthetic meat offers a pathway into reducing meat consumption, imo.

Meatist. As a staunch carnivore who will never give up meat, I don't think I ever eat hotdogs, fried chicken or kebabs.

I suppose I might have the occasional burger (as in once every few months) but I certainly don't have any of the others.

Meatist. As a staunch carnivore who will never give up meat, I don't think I ever eat hotdogs, fried chicken or kebabs.

I suppose I might have the occasional burger (as in once every few months) but I certainly don't have any of the others.

You're pretty handy in the kitchen though. I'm not and I rely on convenience food more than I should.

I gave up meat a year or so ago. It's the shit like this I really miss particularly after having a few.

Not all vegans are the same, so I'm sure some would happily eat synthetic meat.

My comparison with smoking was more from a 'giving up something you don't want to consume anymore' perspective - which would go some way to explain why a steadfast, hardcore vegan wouldn't be interested in eating a synthetic meat. Just in the same way that I wouldn't want to now consume a "safe" nicotine hit.

I think a lot of people want to cut down on meat and can see the benefit in doing so. What you replace that with is difficult for a lot of people though as meat is such an easy/convenient option. You're not going to go from burgers, hotdogs, fried chicken and kebabs to preparing your quinoa, beetroot and hummus salads in one seemless step. Synthetic meat offers a pathway into reducing meat consumption, imo.

My word that's a lazy stereotype.

There's much more health benefits to eating meat (not processed crap) than not and it's a myth about reducing meat consumption driven by an uneducated media. I'm new to the meat growing technology but it is fascinating to what it can do and how our diets do not need to change but our habits and behaviour do. You can also 3D print meat.

Nicotine is a poison and equating meat to it is not helping the argument. It looks pious.

Yeah, it's a stereotype, but it applies to a lot of people. Especially ones who rely on convenience food.

And it's not like grown meat is ready to step in a take on our entire consumption. So cutting down/giving up meat is surely a good thing for the environment.

Yeah, it's a stereotype, but it applies to a lot of people. Especially ones who rely on convenience food.

Much like vegans are pious wankers?

And it's not like grown meat is ready to step in a take on our entire consumption. So cutting down/giving up meat is surely a good thing for the environment.

Grown meat is in its infancy right now but companies are investing millions into mass market consumption as that is the only way they can do it in the future, much like medicine production. So the plan is to take on a huge percentage of our consumption.

Cutting down meat in the short term until grown meat is ready would be good for the environment but we are probably only 5-10 years away from grown meat as a staple in supermarkets and with the time it takes to change people's behaviour it probably isn't worth it.

Here's another book for you machin!:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Takeaway-Secret-2nd-cook-favourite/dp/1472140052/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=the+takeaway+secret&qid=1556627941&s=gateway&sr=8-1

I don't eat red meat. Personal preference (taste and texture thing). However the implications on the body of red meat mean it is arguably a poison, or has certain toxicity to it.

Processed meat, well the clue is in the first word.

Machin, langers is bang on. Just experiment in the kitchen. Cook stuff together with the kids. A lot of stuff isn't that difficult to do to a basic level. After that, you just experiment with salts, flavours, herbs and spices and so on. Get a slo cooker (ace, put the meat in, add a little water, turn on, leave for 6 hours).

I've barely the tolerance to bake a cake with the kids, let alone cook an entire meal :icon_lol:

I can cook, when Em is happy for it to take twice as long as when she does it! I just fall back on convenience quite often. There's millions more like that and worse.

Using a slow cooker isn't even cooking half the time! Get up first thing in the morning before work, bung stuff in slow cooker, stir a bit, turn slow cooker on, come home several hours later, serve, eat.

Piece of piss. And it'll save you a fortune.

Yeah, we've got a slow cooker. Done a few chillis and curries in there. Good stuff.

Back