• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Goggle Box Thread

Hold The Sunset - John Cleese, what were you thinking? I know you've got to pay off the various ex-wives but surely there must have been something better than this sitcom straight out of the 1980s.

Hold The Sunset - John Cleese, what were you thinking? I know you've got to pay off the various ex-wives but surely there must have been something better than this sitcom straight out of the 1980s.

I lasted a whole 2 minutes watching that. Abysmal stuff.

I'm not quite sure why. It looks great, the premise is cool and there's plenty of S'n'V to distract from the occasionally clunky dialogue. It just got a bit boring.

usually it's trying to explain too much. so him recollecting his back story whilst being critical to the book, as it's all about him and his thoughts, just seems to add some confusion in the series. the story and dialogue lack sharpness - that does help add to the sleazy nature they seemed to be going for.

Bit of an understatement. Good though.
yep, it was pretty good. bit slow in parts. i'd watch another series.

Just watched all 6 episodes of Save Me...Lenny James is magnificent.

I usually watch TWD when it airs on a Monday night but I didn’t bother this week, it’s gone right down the pan. I’ll record them all and binge watch when I’m struggling to sleep I reckon. Given I was a huge fan of the comics that’s some pretty damning feedback.

It's been dreadful since season 2.

:Stirthepot:

No it hasn’t. Season 2 was boring as fuck but it was introducing some major characters and laying the foundations of what was to come. It picked up again in season 3 but has tailed off badly in the last couple.

No it hasn’t. Season 2 was boring as fuck but it was introducing some major characters and laying the foundations of what was to come. It picked up again in season 3 but has tailed off badly in the last couple.

This current series is the only one I haven’t really enjoyed, mainly because I’ve just stopped caring about anyone and it’s got even more silly. Where the hell are they getting all these bullets from?!

This current series is the only one I haven’t really enjoyed, mainly because I’ve just stopped caring about anyone and it’s got even more silly. Where the hell are they getting all these bullets from?!
Eugene made 10million of them in S3 e654[emoji16]

Kirkman has deviated drastically from the comic storyline apparently now (although there have been some major differences throughout, its followed the same basic plot) and it looks like that’s what’s dragging it down. I stopped reading about halfway through the Negan storyline so don’t really know, but what has really turned me off it is how jerky the storytelling has become, very stop start and fractured. The characters are proper one dimensional as well.

Kirkman has deviated drastically from the comic storyline apparently now (although there have been some major differences throughout, its followed the same basic plot) and it looks like that’s what’s dragging it down. I stopped reading about halfway through the Negan storyline so don’t really know, but what has really turned me off it is how jerky the storytelling has become, very stop start and fractured. The characters are proper one dimensional as well.

Yeah I’d agree with that, I started reading the comics last year, think I’m up to volume 11 or 12 and I’ve quite enjoyed the fact it’s similar but has differences along the way.

Yeah I’d agree with that, I started reading the comics last year, think I’m up to volume 11 or 12 and I’ve quite enjoyed the fact it’s similar but has differences along the way.

The big difference for me was that the comics read as a story, it flowed. The constant jumping to and fro between sets of characters in episodes of the TV series kills the flow, and the changes of pace are really jarring.

The big difference for me was that the comics read as a story, it flowed. The constant jumping to and fro between sets of characters in episodes of the TV series kills the flow, and the changes of pace are really jarring.

This series in particular seems to jump around between different periods of time without explanation or warning

This series in particular seems to jump around between different periods of time without explanation or warning

It has definitely got worse, it's killed a lot of interest for me. It's strange because Kirkman's usually very good at telling stories, Outcast is a much easier watch even if the subject matter isn't as deep as TWD.

Gomorrah - S3 is even better than the last two, if that were even possible. Absolutely the best thing on TV or netflix etc for years.

Gomorrah - S3 is even better than the last two, if that were even possible. Absolutely the best thing on TV or netflix etc for years.

Is that the subtitled Italian series? I've had that on my watchlist for ages, must get round to watching it.

Is that the subtitled Italian series? I've had that on my watchlist for ages, must get round to watching it.
Yeah, it's absolutely brilliant. Every episode is special, I try and only watch one a week to keep them going.

Watched the last 2 series in about 10 days. Couldn't help myself.

Back