• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Goggle Box Thread

Just finished seies 3 of Fargo. Brilliant again. Each series has been brilliant in different ways. Highly recommended.

Only watched half the one with McGregor in. Didn't really like it.

Finished Mindhunter last night. Bit morose towards the end and an annoying very last scene (seems like that's a common trait for Netflix), but a brilliant series. Can't wait for the next one!

So, what now? Narcos?

Finished Mindhunter last night. Bit morose towards the end and an annoying very last scene (seems like that's a common trait for Netflix), but a brilliant series. Can't wait for the next one!

So, what now? Narcos?

Watch Manhunt: Unabomber first. I think Tredman recommended it to me, it's by the same people who did Mindhunter (fucking excellent stuff) and is only one season in so far so will be a quick watch before starting Narcos.

Caught a bit of The Mash Report on BBC2 last night. Another lame attempt at recreating something like The Daily Show. Awful awful stuff. Some of the material wasn't bad but the delivery was just terrible - appalling scripted "ad libs" produced with all the spontaneity of a Latin mass. It's sad that the Americans do satire so much better than we do now.

Caught a bit of The Mash Report on BBC2 last night. Another lame attempt at recreating something like The Daily Show. Awful awful stuff. Some of the material wasn't bad but the delivery was just terrible - appalling scripted "ad libs" produced with all the spontaneity of a Latin mass. It's sad that the Americans do satire so much better than we do now.

I unfortunately watched this midway through the first series and it's sad to see the BBC 'comedy' department commissioning this shite. Even the audience, seemingly composed of students, were struggling to laugh and that's desperate. Russel Howard audiences sounded more convincing.

Watch Manhunt: Unabomber first. I think Tredman recommended it to me, it's by the same people who did Mindhunter (fucking excellent stuff) and is only one season in so far so will be a quick watch before starting Narcos.

Will take a butchers mate. Cheers!

Happy Valley.

It's good, and Sarah Lancashire is excellent in it, but fucking hell it's APPALLINGLY named.

I unfortunately watched this midway through the first series and it's sad to see the BBC 'comedy' department commissioning this shite. Even the audience, seemingly composed of students, were struggling to laugh and that's desperate. Russel Howard audiences sounded more convincing.

I don't have a problem with the BBC commissioning new stuff that turns out to be shite, as they do still get plenty of stuff right and you never can tell what's going to work. However, I don't like this endless search for a satirical news/chat show to match what they have in the States. It's been tried so many times and it's just never going to work here. Not sure why but were just not very good at it. We're much better when we go full-on absurd like The Day Today or with a sitcom setup like The Thick of It.

I don't have a problem with the BBC commissioning new stuff that turns out to be shite, as they do still get plenty of stuff right and you never can tell what's going to work. However, I don't like this endless search for a satirical news/chat show to match what they have in the States. It's been tried so many times and it's just never going to work here. Not sure why but were just not very good at it. We're much better when we go full-on absurd like The Day Today or with a sitcom setup like The Thick of It.

I would agree with you but the Beeb have commissioned this shite for a second series when the first wasn't funny at all. The same with rubbish like Citizen Khan and Count Arthur Strong.

I would agree with you but the Beeb have commissioned this shite for a second series when the first wasn't funny at all. The same with rubbish like Citizen Khan and Count Arthur Strong.

Yeah, agreed. No call for a second series. I guess some people like CK and CAS but they're not for me. But if TV companies only put on things I liked they'd very quickly either go out of business or be closed down and jailed on obscenity charges. :)

Coincidentally I finally finished watching unabomber myself last night. It got better and better, great little series.

Happy Valley.

It's good, and Sarah Lancashire is excellent in it, but fucking hell it's APPALLINGLY named.

Are you just getting to it? Make sure you start with series one, if so. Truly disturbing TV there. James Norton brilliant in it, too, I thought.

Are you just getting to it? Make sure you start with series one, if so. Truly disturbing TV there. James Norton brilliant in it, too, I thought.

Yeah I've just finished series 1. Excellent Goggle Boxing indeed.

Yeah I've just finished series 1. Excellent Goggle Boxing indeed.

like many on here I thought HV excellent too. great acting and the story follows the traits of the characters rather than having them doing things you wouldn’t expect just to create a storyline. I think the great French series Spiral which has favourable comments on here is the same in that respect which just gives these progs a bit more credibility.

here’s the latest trailer of the Terror based on true events :)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l328p5sSEmc

Just watched episode 1 of the 1st series of The Tunnel as we missed it when it first came out. Gripped from the very start. Not sure how I missed it before. Top stuff.

The Tunnel’s fucking brilliant from start to finish.

Absolutely buzzing for this.

yep, me too. It looks like they’ve done an amazing job with the setting. great cast so be interesting to see how the story is received.

The Tunnel is based on the Swedish/danish The Bridge isn’t it? The Bridge has been great and I think another series is due to start but no idea if the Tunnel follows the story exactly.

Back