• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Goggle Box Thread

I used to use EZTV, but use a more private site now.

Oh and PabloWolf - Get started on Mad Men. Brilliant character driven show from Matthew Weiner (the bloke who wrote The Sopranos).

Anyone on here watch it?

The only series i'm actively watching at the moment is Homeland but even then i dont think i've caught a single episode at its normal Sunday evening time, i've ended up watching them on +1, 4od or the midweek repeat. There are plenty of programs i'll watch whenever i see them listed though but i'm not really that bothered about watching the newest series' and episodes as soon as they're available, i dont tend to watch things with much of a storyline to follow so its not that important to keep up to date.

Oh and PabloWolf - Get started on Mad Men. Brilliant character driven show from Matthew Weiner (the bloke who wrote The Sopranos).

Anyone on here watch it?

It's on my "to watch" list, but I've got 157 assorted episodes to watch first. I also want to give 24 a go.

Watching the end of The Pacific that I've been watching throughout the week. It's actually bloody good - it's major weakness is that Band of Brothers was so much better!

Watching the end of The Pacific that I've been watching throughout the week. It's actually bloody good - it's major weakness is that Band of Brothers was so much better!

I think what disappointed me with it was that they changed around between too many different characters in different situations, at the end of The Pacific i didn't feel like i really knew any of the characters.

I think what disappointed me with it was that they changed around between too many different characters in different situations, at the end of The Pacific i didn't feel like i really knew any of the characters.

I see what you mean, aside of the three main ones of course. This has been the third time I've seen it, and although it's obviously easier to follow after a couple of watches, it was quite confusing the first time around.

I see what you mean, aside of the three main ones of course. This has been the third time I've seen it, and although it's obviously easier to follow after a couple of watches, it was quite confusing the first time around.

If they'd been released the other way round there probably wouldn't be any complaints, you'd say The Pacific was a quality series but Band of Brothers just trumps it in every way, think they may have purposely tried to do things slightly differently in The Pacific because they knew BoB would be difficult to top.

If they'd been released the other way round there probably wouldn't be any complaints, you'd say The Pacific was a quality series but Band of Brothers just trumps it in every way, think they may have purposely tried to do things slightly differently in The Pacific because they knew BoB would be difficult to top.

Pretty much!! I'd also argue that if there was no BoB, The Pacific would have been better received.

Managed to get up to date with Game of Thrones last night. It's pretty damned faithful to the book and very, very good with each episode getting better. And Melisandre? Rrrrrrrrr... Is that wrong?

It's much better than the book IMHO - they've done really well do alter it enough that it makes more sense, doesn't introduce unnecessary and potentially confusing characters and removes a hell of a lot of padding.

They've made Joffrey much more of a bastard too which is good!

I'm thoroughly enjoying it. Only thing that doesn't quite feel right is Stannis - a bit too distant and looks too 'slight' for me. But it's a minor quibble.

It's much better than the book IMHO - they've done really well do alter it enough that it makes more sense, doesn't introduce unnecessary and potentially confusing characters and removes a hell of a lot of padding.

They've made Joffrey much more of a bastard too which is good!

I'm thoroughly enjoying it. Only thing that doesn't quite feel right is Stannis - a bit too distant and looks too 'slight' for me. But it's a minor quibble.

Oh yeah, Joffrey is a total bastard. I don't recall there being quite so much about Renly and Loras in the book either, they seem to have raised the significance of that relationship a bit.

Oh, and I bought A Feast For Crows this morning.

No comment on Melisandre?

Renly and Loras is implied in the books but the actual affair is original to the series - which makes sense when you know what happens to Margaery. Again, it makes more sense that way.

Melisandre is just scary. She terrifies me!!!

Renly and Loras is implied in the books but the actual affair is original to the series - which makes sense when you know what happens to Margaery. Again, it makes more sense that way.

Melisandre is just scary. She terrifies me!!!

I can't recall what happens to Margaery, which book is that in?

As for Melisandre being scary? Maybe, but you would though, wouldn't you? Even if she subsequently slaughtered you in your sleep, I'm pretty sure it would be worth it...

I can't remember which book and don't want to put it here as it'd spoil what happens very soon in the series for anyone unfamiliar with the books!

And no - she's too scary. I like the red hair but Stannis's sloppy seconds isn't a nice thought.

I can't remember which book and don't want to put it here as it'd spoil what happens very soon in the series for anyone unfamiliar with the books!

And no - she's too scary. I like the red hair but Stannis's sloppy seconds isn't a nice thought.

Wuss...

Melisandre is played by Carice Van Houten. If you want to check out another of her other naked roles then go and get "Black Book" (Zwartboek) directed by Paul Verhoeven about a woman who goes undercover in the Gestapo for the Dutch resistance in WWII. Great film and Miss Van Houten is absolutely stunning in it.

I've seen a lot of book readers say they are disappointed in how unlikeable Littlefinger is becoming in the TV show, and that he's a lot more charismatic in the books.

I don't think Littlefinger is too different. And as there's plenty yet to happen, many opinions on him will change.

I think Littlefinger comes across as sly, ingratiating and two-faced in the early books as well to be honest. He is somewhat charismatic but it isn't readily apparent until later on in the series.

Brilliant episode of GoT this week. The ending was crazy!

Back