• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Goggle Box Thread

The whole season is already on there apparently Leeds.

I have inadvertently just seen some dancing polar bears on the television. The good lady said it was Britains got talent. Little wonder I do not watch much television.

Just watched How to get a council house on C4. I'm pretty shocked at the state of the system in the UK tbh.
A Romanian man took his 4 kids and wife over to the UK, no job lined up, none speak a word of English, no money etc.
They popped straight in to the Council in Hounslow who processed their application and got them a 4 bed house in Birmingham. Unbelievable. They should have been put in a B&B for a night and flown straight back home.

No wonder there's a shortage of houses in Britain

Just watched How to get a council house on C4. I'm pretty shocked at the state of the system in the UK tbh.
A Romanian man took his 4 kids and wife over to the UK, no job lined up, none speak a word of English, no money etc.
They popped straight in to the Council in Hounslow who processed their application and got them a 4 bed house in Birmingham. Unbelievable. They should have been put in a B&B for a night and flown straight back home.

No wonder there's a shortage of houses in Britain

This should be in the EU thread...

Having never seen it before, I've started watching The World At War. Its very good - the fact that people like Albert Speer and others who actually lived and fought during the conflict are interviewed definitely give it the upper hand over more recent documentaries.

Having never seen it before, I've started watching The World At War. Its very good - the fact that people like Albert Speer and others who actually lived and fought during the conflict are interviewed definitely give it the upper hand over more recent documentaries.

I've got the series on DVD. Absolutely superb program but harrowing at times too.

I've got the one that was made about WWI on DVD too

The World At War is a seminal work. The way they started the first episode with the ruined French village where horrific atrocities were committed is just breathtaking.

I've got the series on DVD. Absolutely superb program but harrowing at times too.

I've got the one that was made about WWI on DVD too

Yep, very harrowing. But it's extremely interesting and must be one of if not the best and most comprehensive account of the war.

I'm currently up to Operation Barbarossa.

Albert Speer is quite remarkable in that he was by far the highest ranking Nazi not to be given the death sentence. At one time you could argue he was the second most powerful behind Hitler, he also claimed that his efforts helped prolong the war by another 6 months.

I've got his book somewhere, I never got around to finishing it but it's an excellent historical account in being a first hand account of the Nazi regime. It was argued that because he was from a well off family he was let off the death penalty claiming ignorance as his defence.

I remember a series on BBC 2, I think it was called the Nazis a warning from history, which was very good. A notable historian who has produced a lot of work on WW II contributed heavily to it, although his name escapes me

I have inadvertently just seen some dancing polar bears on the television. The good lady said it was Britains got talent. Little wonder I do not watch much television.
If you'd have waited a bit longer you'd have also seen dancing Storm Troopers. Which Simon Cowell said was the best thing he'd even seen. Tripe.

Really enjoying Turn on Amazon Prime but it's frustrating wanting the redcoats to win.

Albert Speer is quite remarkable in that he was by far the highest ranking Nazi not to be given the death sentence. At one time you could argue he was the second most powerful behind Hitler, he also claimed that his efforts helped prolong the war by another 6 months.

I've got his book somewhere, I never got around to finishing it but it's an excellent historical account in being a first hand account of the Nazi regime. It was argued that because he was from a well off family he was let off the death penalty claiming ignorance as his defence.

I thought Albert Speer's own book was a very clever way of saying, "Me? No, it wasn't me, guv. I'm just an architect." Which was basically bollocks. Gita Sereny's Albert Speer: His Battle With Truth is a brilliant and more balanced analysis of him. He is a fascinating character though.

I remember a series on BBC 2, I think it was called the Nazis a warning from history, which was very good. A notable historian who has produced a lot of work on WW II contributed heavily to it, although his name escapes me
Laurence Rees - I've got that book, and indeed nearly started reading it this week.

I thought Albert Speer's own book was a very clever way of saying, "Me? No, it wasn't me, guv. I'm just an architect." Which was basically bollocks. Gita Sereny's Albert Speer: His Battle With Truth is a brilliant and more balanced analysis of him. He is a fascinating character though.
Sounds interesting. May pop that onto the "to be acquired" list.

Yeah I've seen Nazis: A Warning From History. That was very good. Though I confess to not knowing too much about Albert Speer with the exception of some of his architectural designs as I studied classical architecture at uni - a lot of his designs were influenced by Greek/Roman ideas. He was rather fond of his triumphal arches.

Back