• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Goggle Box Thread

3 gone. It would/should have been more but they've got the rest of the series to fill.

Didn't you say unemployment was falling under this government?

I happened across the second half Josh on BBC3 last night. Good grief, what an abortion of a "comedy" that was.

Earlier this week I watched the Nazi Megastructures series closer featuring the Bismarck and Tirpitz. Very interesting - I still can't quite get my head around the sheer size of the planned H-series ships which would have made the two featured look like canal boats - but I'm always left wanting for some more information, one hour is not enough IMO.

I caught up with the first episode of The Last Panthers last night. Ep2 on tonight. This could be ok.

I happened across the second half Josh on BBC3 last night. Good grief, what an abortion of a "comedy" that was.

Earlier this week I watched the Nazi Megastructures series closer featuring the Bismarck and Tirpitz. Very interesting - I still can't quite get my head around the sheer size of the planned H-series ships which would have made the two featured look like canal boats - but I'm always left wanting for some more information, one hour is not enough IMO.

Nazi Megastructures is ace - I've not seen that particular one though.

It was on on Sunday. As I said, it is interesting but for me it was lacking a bit of architectural or engineering detail throughout, often touching on some interesting elements but not going far enough to explain or demonstrate apart from saying 'Whoa! Those Nazis built some heavy-duty shit! But, you know, they fucked up in the end.'

Been watching megastructures on Netflix, just reinforces what a complete nutjob Hitler was. Watched the ships one this week and the size of the H ships was just completely bonkers. It's no surprise they were never built.

On a similar theme, have you caught that rent a cop programme. Is that real, or a very poor joke?

I honestly don't know. I've watched one episode and was quite incredulous. I think it's real on account of it out-Officing The Office.

Fucking bollocks. I missed it. I love the Bismarck and Tirpitz class - magnificent ships.

The H-Ships would have been even bigger than the Japanese Yamato and Musashi. Pushing 70,000 tonnes displacement if I remember rightly.

Fucking bollocks. I missed it. I love the Bismarck and Tirpitz class - magnificent ships.

The H-Ships would have been even bigger than the Japanese Yamato and Musashi. Pushing 70,000 tonnes displacement if I remember rightly.

That's correct, after the Bismarck was sunk Hitler cancelled the programme to concentrate on U-boats instead. Just checked and it's available on all4 along with the other episodes in the series.

H4 sounds fucking ridculous though - 131,000 short tonnes as a BATTLESHIP!!! That is over 20,000 tonnes more than the biggest American Nuclear aircraft carriers! What a ship that would have been to see.

Good Lord. That is a substantial building.

The thing is, Germany would have been piling untold millions of marks into the H-Class had the Bismarck escaped, and 1942 would have shown that the aircraft carrier was now the king of the seas. I don't think the Kreigsmarine had even plans for an aircraft carrier. Doenitz seemed to expect the second world war naval stuff to have been Jutland version 2.

The Last Kingdom gets better each week - very true to the books as well.

Followed by the Detectorists (thanks for recommendations for this) - best episode I have seen tonight

Yeah Detectorists was great tonight. Some really funny lines in it too.

It's one of those shows which is almost impossible to dislike and just gives you a big smile.

Yep, Detectorists is great. I do love Simon and Garfunkel.

Another excellent episode of Catastrophe this week. The dialogue just gets filthier and filthier. Sample line from series one on the magic of watching your wife give birth: “You see your little troll tobogganing out of your wife’s snatch on a wave of turds.”

3 gone. It would/should have been more but they've got the rest of the series to fill.

The series usually finishes at Christmas, I don't know how many are left now but one episode a week from now till Christmas, getting rid of three in one go was probably all part of the scheduling.

Back