• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Goggle Box Thread

Did anyone see It Was Alright in the 1960's on Channel 4 last night?

Unbelievable - it went from being absolutely hysterically funny, to incredibly shocking just how racist and sexist TV used to be.

My favourite bit was the filming of a sitcom - being transmitted live - and the scene was a guy being pulled through a bookcase, then thrown out of a window (not a proper window, obvs - it was in a studio). Unfortunately, pulling him through a bookcase knocked him unconscious. Yet they didn't realise that had happened and threw him out of the window anyway. Utterly utterly brilliant.

Re-watching The Wire for the thousandth time. Just realised, Dukie from season 4-5 is an absolute ringer for Dom Iorfa.

large_wireep8-dukie.jpg

Did anyone see It Was Alright in the 1960's on Channel 4 last night?

Unbelievable - it went from being absolutely hysterically funny, to incredibly shocking just how racist and sexist TV used to be.

My favourite bit was the filming of a sitcom - being transmitted live - and the scene was a guy being pulled through a bookcase, then thrown out of a window (not a proper window, obvs - it was in a studio). Unfortunately, pulling him through a bookcase knocked him unconscious. Yet they didn't realise that had happened and threw him out of the window anyway. Utterly utterly brilliant.

That was Francis Lee wasn't it? Or was it Charlie Drake. Good programme anyway

Just watched the last episode of The Jinx - Robert Durst. Brilliant TV.

Just reading about casting for the next Game Of Thrones season and we have Richard E Grant, Ian McShane, Max Von Sydow and also Paddy lookalike Kevin Eldon!

Finished Parks and Rec. Loved it. Top entertainment, brilliant characters, a very funny show.

So now I'm trying to give The Big Bang Theory another go, having been persuaded to by various people.

I watched the first 2 episodes last night and I'm struggling massively with it. The premise or the actual plots/scenarios aren't the problem - it's just so fucking annoyingly hammed up. It's borderline unwatchable for me as a result. I will persevere a bit longer and hope I can get used to it, but on what I've seen so far, I'm bemused as to how anyone can actually laugh at it.

We're watching Parks & Rec at the moment on Amazon Prime. Nearly at the end of series 2. Really good, helped massively by some superb acting. Probably does the story/script more justice than it's worth. It really found it's feet early in season 2 when they realised Ron, Tom and Andy were the best characters to give screen time to.

Really enjoying it. Easy to watch and only 25 minutes an episode.

We're watching Parks & Rec at the moment on Amazon Prime. Nearly at the end of series 2. Really good, helped massively by some superb acting. Probably does the story/script more justice than it's worth. It really found it's feet early in season 2 when they realised Ron, Tom and Andy were the best characters to give screen time to.

Really enjoying it. Easy to watch and only 25 minutes an episode.

Yeah it gets really good from the 2nd season onwards. One of my favourites is when they meet their counterparts from Venezuela which I think is in the 2nd season?

Yep, saw that one a few days ago. I think the one where Ron hooks up with his ex has got to be up there with one of the best.

Yeah, there are a few episodes like that - it's a recurring theme. I did enjoy the references to his ex-wife.. :icon_lol:

I've found that any episode that features a lot of Ron tends to be a good one.

Not the first time I've posted this, but I intend to print out The Ron Swanson Pyramid of Greatness and put it somewhere in my house. Haven't worked out where yet.

Still need to get round to watching Parks & Rec.

Give Community a go if you liked Parks & Rec.

Also, 30 Rock. Alec Baldwin is great in that.

Back