• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Goggle Box Thread

You see I'm the other way round. Can't stick Friends, load of unfunny terrible actors delivering a supposedly funny punchline every 20 seconds. Then one of them (usually a blonde female) screams. Repeat ad nauseum.

Friends isn't alone in this format of course as the States spewed out Will and Grace, How I met Your Mother and 2 Broke Girls, That 70's show etc.etc.

I quite liked Will and Grace. How I Met Your Mother is awful - a really obvious attempt to replicate the success of Friends, but with a complete absence of jokes.
I remember working on the British version of That 70s Show and my God was it grim. Blokes lying around on car bonnets with no top on in California is justifiable - In 1970s Luton, not so much.

I find certain US shows can be watched ad nauseum without ever getting dull for me - e.g. Cheers, MASH, Friends, Frasier, BBT - that's the sign of a good show for me. Not many British shows can do the same. Just for Langers, I'll say that the InBetweeners never ever gets old and always raises mutliple actual lolz.

I've watched every season of Seinfeld back to back multiple times.

I think Modern Family is the best US comedy around at the moment.

How I met Your Mother and BBT are woeful, Modern Family is fast moving and sharp but theres a nice sentiment to it at the same time

Another one for the shitlist: Malcolm In The Middle. Never understood why that was popular.

I have seen it dubbed into German where it is called "Malcolm In Der Mitte". It was an improvement.

I've hardly seen any of these shows - and I'm aware just how massive some of them are/were. Maybe I should, assuming they're not Friends clones.

I loved Eastbound and Down - Kenny Powers is a great character.

I quite liked Will and Grace. How I Met Your Mother is awful - a really obvious attempt to replicate the success of Friends, but with a complete absence of jokes.
I remember working on the British version of That 70s Show and my God was it grim. Blokes lying around on car bonnets with no top on in California is justifiable - In 1970s Luton, not so much.

I find certain US shows can be watched ad nauseum without ever getting dull for me - e.g. Cheers, MASH, Friends, Frasier, BBT - that's the sign of a good show for me. Not many British shows can do the same. Just for Langers, I'll say that the InBetweeners never ever gets old and always raises mutliple actual lolz.

Wasn't That 70s Show set in Wisconsin rather than California?

Curb Your Enthusiasm is another one that rewards repeated viewings. I much prefer it to Seinfeld which never really clicked for me.

Eastbound & Down was brilliant.

I can't stand Modern Family either. Sofia Vergara is just a horrible actress with a voice like fingernails on a blackboard. I don't like Ty Burrell either.

How I Met Your Mother was great for a few seasons but went downhill. Same with BBT nowadays.

American sitcoms tend (for me at least) to be very generally mass produced rubbish. Not too inoffensive, not taking many chances, passable background stuff. I can have stuff on (BBT for example), but missing it isn't an issue.

The adult cartoons are way above what we can produce though, the simpsons is sometimes the truest depiction of modern life on tv (back in its glory days at least). Family Guy still makes me lol, as does american dad. I also loved futurama.

Whilst not the same genre, I don't really think any show currently holds a candle to QI.

You forgot South Park..

Peak Simpsons is some of the best TV of all time.

Odd one with the Simpsons. There have definitively been far more awful seasons than good seasons now. I don't know a single person who enjoys any episode made after about 2005 and the quality was dropping for years before that. The movie was a pile of absolute horseshit infused with cat semen. Yet the legacy hasn't really been impacted.

Seasons 1-8 are some of the best TV ever made.

Asian Provocateur - reminded me of an Asian version of Karl Pilkington, but still fucking funny. Romesh Ranganathan is basically told by his mother to learn a bit about his Sri Lankan heritage so he travels to Sri Lanka.

Agents of SHIELD is back on and Skye is looking better than ever!

chloe_bennet_at_agents_of_shield_season_3_cast_p.jpg

Yeh, because you'd last how many seconds with her ???

Lol. Like I would care how long I lasted!

Back