• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Goggle Box Thread

I wonder if I'd still have the urge to put my foot through the screen upon sight of Tony Slattery appearing?

My word, I loathed that ubiquitous bellend.

I wonder if I'd still have the urge to put my foot through the screen upon sight of Tony Slattery appearing?

My word, I loathed that ubiquitous bellend.

He was as funny as piles. I only found the US version - so I guess you can substitute Slattery for Drew sodding Carey. Both utterly detestable.

He was as funny as piles. I only found the US version - so I guess you can substitute Slattery for Drew sodding Carey. Both utterly detestable.

But both kept appearing, I just never got why people thought either were funny. I prefer the UK version to the U.S.

I didn't mind Tony Slattery, but I can't abide Drew Carey.

There's a section in the Friday showing of Great British Menu where, between courses, the 4 judges casually sit on the table or stand up etc. Always reminds me of one of the Whose Line Is It Anyway skits.

Anyone else been watching This Is England '90?

Not quite up to the standard of the previous two, though that would be hard, and it's all been a little "I heart the '90s" so far, but the characters and acting are so good that it's still very watchable. And it looks like it's about to get a whole lot darker as they move into Autumn and Winter.

The Young Ones
Bottom
Father Ted
Phoenix Nights

All would be in my Top 10.

The Young Ones
Bottom
Father Ted
Phoenix Nights

All would be in my Top 10.

Father Ted isn't British though.....

The actual top 10 doesn't surprise me - can't really argue with Fawlty Towers. It's genius. I also agree with tredman - Steptoe was shite.

Wiki says it's British. It was produced by C4 anyway.

If it counted, it'd be in my top 10. As would Phoenix Nights. And possibly The Office.

Blackadder or Fawlty Towers would be #1.

I never liked Fawlty Towers. Couldn't stand Steptoe. Loved Only Fools And Horses. And would add Bottom to the list.

The Office
Knowing Me Knowing You
I'm Alan Partridge
Fawlty Towers
Only Fools and Horses
Early Doors
The Royle Family (first two series)
Black Books
Spaced
Phoenix Nights

I'd like to include Peep Show but everything from about season 6 annoys me far too much. It can go on if the Partridge ones aren't split.

The Office and Spaced would go into mine too.

1. Blackadder
2. Fawlty Towers
3. Father Ted
4. Only Fools & Horses
5. Phoenix Nights
6. The Young Ones
7. Red Dwarf
8. Bottom
9. One Foot In The Grave
10. Spaced

Jesus how could I forget Partridge and Early Doors?!

In no particular order:

Fawlty Towers
Blackadder
Partridge (had to combine them really)
Only Fools and Horses
Father Ted
Phoenix Nights
The Office
Early Doors
Men Behaving Badly
Extras

Pains me to leave Nathan Barley off. Years ahead of its time...

I also really liked Porridge, Keeping Up Appearances, Open All Hours, Clarence (old Ronnie Barker one), Men Behaving Badly, Drop The Dead Donkey, Goodnight Sweetheart, The IT Crowd and The Brittas Empire.

My kids have been ploughing through Outnumbered on Netflix recently. The first few series really were very funny.

And whilst we're in early evening sitcom land, One Foot in the Grave also had some excellent moments.

Back