• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Goggle Box Thread

The courtroom last night was just stupid. So the "best" barrister is being employed by the prosecution and she allows insinuation of an affair between two police officers to be heard by the jury without any challenge? Ridiculous. That would have been objected as there was absolutely fuck all evidence of the alleged affair and struck out.

Yeah that bothered me as well. Also, would prosecutors actually just make stuff like that up?

Yeah that bothered me as well. Also, would prosecutors actually just make stuff like that up?

They are the defence, but the point still stands. You can probably imply that something was going on in that two hour period, but the opposition would just re-examine the witness immediately (assuming the judge was weak enough to let the original bollocks through in the first place) and say "so detective miller - what happened in that room?" and rebut the affair allegation.

Plus trying to introduce something like that without it being in the evidence bundle is exceptionally poor form and looked upon fairly dimly. I was staggered when looking at the titles to see they have engaged a QC as a consultant because that was just completely unrealistic.

If your key witness is being destroyed by cross-examination using "evidence" that is at best flimsy and circumstantial, and also attacks good character that is assumed without proper evidence to prove otherwise, you wouldn't be sitting there shaking your head. You would be stood up objecting, and asking to approach the bench to get the jury out of the room.

It was a stain on what's otherwise been a very good series.

On another note, why isn't Beth making more of an issue of Mark disappearing for hours again? He gets home when she's having a baby upstairs and all she says is 'Where've you been?', that bugged me a lot.

That one might be a little more understandable come the end of the series. There could be a plot reason behind her reaction.

The court room stuff is just very poor though. You can't ignore correct legal process just to create a plot point like that.

The court room stuff is just very poor though. You can't ignore correct legal process just to create a plot point like that.

Totally agree, I'm not sure why it was put in there as it just wouldn't happen or would elicit a much more animated response from the opposition. Piss poor.

The courtroom last night was just stupid. So the "best" barrister is being employed by the prosecution and she allows insinuation of an affair between two police officers to be heard by the jury without any challenge? Ridiculous. That would have been objected as there was absolutely $#@! all evidence of the alleged affair and struck out.

virtually every programme has a certain degree of artistic licence to be fair. this sort of stuff annoys me as well but I just get accused of being pedantic when I point it out. I thought the prosecution did object (am I mistaken?), just not very strongly.

virtually every programme has a certain degree of artistic licence to be fair. this sort of stuff annoys me as well but I just get accused of being pedantic when I point it out. I thought the prosecution did object (am I mistaken?), just not very strongly.

The prosecution didn't object, Ellie asked the defence something about her sex life and the judge reminded her (the defence) that she wasn't in the box. Or something along those lines.

I thought she took a drink of her water, shook her head and didn't do much else, but that may have been after an initial objection. Frankly, you would be asking to approach the bench, rather than objecting.

Arrgggghhhh Boozy that pissed me off too

Judge "the witness is not in the dock"

*allows witness to be destroyed on character without evidence*

Arrgggghhhh Boozy that pissed me off too

Judge "the witness is not in the dock"

*allows witness to be destroyed on character without evidence*

The whole latter part of the scene was just shit, the judge's part has been poorly written all over but that line was fucking awful. And why the fuck did Hardy look as if he'd been rumbled when the affair was mentioned?

unless the Broadchurch paedophile community also includes the judge and the prosecuting barrister I just can't see how they could put that court scene together.

You know, innocent defending barrister gets client off easily, and suddenly finds that EVERYONE was guilty.

As to Hardy's reaction, unless there was some action in that room, he should have been outraged rather than despairing.

Sorry Del!! It has been all over the place today so didn't think we needed the tags.

Doesn't sound like it's worth watching TBH Del :icon_lol:

Back