• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Goggle Box Thread

Last episode of Happy Valley - as good as the previous ones.

Not many things I have watched recently that I wanted to keep going, but that was.

Yes it was gripping to the end and its been some time since I've watched something that left me desperate to see the next episode. There were enough issues left open for another series to be made and I can only hope that it will be as good as the first one.

Yes it was gripping to the end and its been some time since I've watched something that left me desperate to see the next episode. There were enough issues left open for another series to be made and I can only hope that it will be as good as the first one.

I would agree with most of that, the natural progression is to explore the corruption and drugs links. The only minor nibble I have with it is that all the men in the series were either weak, criminals, inept or mentally insane. That took the shine off it for me (I know it was written by a woman for women as a feminist piece). Fargo is much more balanced as was The Line of Duty and the Fall IMO.

I would agree with most of that, the natural progression is to explore the corruption and drugs links. The only minor nibble I have with it is that all the men in the series were either weak, criminals, inept or mentally insane. That took the shine off it for me (I know it was written by a woman for women as a feminist piece). Fargo is much more balanced as was The Line of Duty and the Fall IMO.

Interesting point. I'm not sure it was a feminist piece, but it is really rare for a woman character to be central to a story on her own terms and not only defined to her relations with the men around her. I think it feels feminist because that's so unusual. I liked that about it. You're right that all the blokes were fairly weak characters in various ways (not sure why *all* the senior police officers had to be complete buffoons) - but in *most* shows you could say that about the women - generally they're wives, mothers or slags. (Or murder victims going nude on the mortuary slab - which really fucking annoys me.) and nearly always defined by their relationships with men.

I knew that feminist criticism module at college would come in handy some time!

I agree with you, women are generally portrayed quite poorly and I hadn't thought about the relationships defined by men. I liked Sarah Lancashire as the central character, I thought she carried it off really well.

Edit: It was the writer and director who said it was written for women as a feminist piece after she was criticised in some of the media for its violence towards women.

Skip to 1:10 - Oh Sophie :Wub2: (Only 18 though......)

Also, :icon_lol: at HODOR at 2:20. He's actually a DJ in real life!! Mind. Blown.

I agree with you, women are generally portrayed quite poorly and I hadn't thought about the relationships defined by men. I liked Sarah Lancashire as the central character, I thought she carried it off really well.

Edit: It was the writer and director who said it was written for women as a feminist piece after she was criticised in some of the media for its violence towards women.

Ah fair enough. Fine by me - I like feminists, they're dead sexy.

Watching the memorials from Normandy at the moment. Real emotion, not with the politicians & other hangers on appearing , but from the faces of the veterans (all in their late 80s or 90s) who were there on the actual day.

My fathers generation. He wasn't in on the actual invasion day, but landed 2 days after as an observation officer for a medium artillery regiment & fought through the rest of the Normandy campaign & up through Belgium and Northern Germany. He never spoke about it & I am saddened that he died in 1980 before I got to an age when I would have felt comfortable trying to talk to him about it.

We didn't find out any of what he experienced until my Mother died 20 yrs later & we found the locked chest with his war diaries & letters that there was any understanding

What an incredible episode of GOT. That continuous 360° shot about 40 mins in was amazing. Can't wait for next week now!

Up until 2 weeks ago I hadn't seen GoT. Just watched the latest episode :)

The missus will be happy. She's found a new attraction to Wareing.

Is it that look of 'If you fuck this beurre blanc up I'm going to fucking kill you' look in his eyes that does it for her?

In the meantime Paddy's probably fapping himself silly.

It's because he has similar cooking ability to me.

I like Wareing and the chef's will be a little be petrified of him which can only be a good thing. A bit like they are on the Great British Menu when he asks 'Did you think the meat was seasoned enough' and the chef in question goes,'umm, err, umm, yes it could have been'. Wareing's answer was to look up and give it the full De Niro. Brilliant stuff.

It's the perfect no-get-out question: answer positively and you'll get torn to pieces; answer negatively and you'll be bent over the stove with Wareing ramming a bulb of garlic up your arse screaming 'I'LL SHOW YOU FUCKING SEASONING YOU RHINO'S FUCKING TWATFLAP!'.

What an incredible episode of GOT. That continuous 360° shot about 40 mins in was amazing. Can't wait for next week now!

That bit was stunning. Excellent episode - next weeks promises much.....

It's the perfect no-get-out question: answer positively and you'll get torn to pieces; answer negatively and you'll be bent over the stove with Wareing ramming a bulb of garlic up your arse screaming 'I'LL SHOW YOU FUCKING SEASONING YOU RHINO'S FUCKING TWATFLAP!'.

Really pleased to hear they have gone for Wareing. Going to be ACE.

Celebrity Masterchef started this week. Not watched the first one yet though.

Back