• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Football News Thread 2023/24

Status
Not open for further replies.
That and put it on the screens, I think there's only Anfield that didn't have them last season, presumably you can add Kenilworth Road to that. Put that on the screen with goal underneath it and the ref knows it's a mistake and asks for clarification
Yes that as well.
Another thing that's stands out is no one seemed in charge of what was going on.
Referee should be directing saying to var is that offside, then confirming it Yes or no
Apparently ref doesn't hear what assistant was saying either.
No wonder they don't want any decision made public, fucking shambles

There is screens at Tottenham so were they not showing the checking process? Even after the game had resumed the error was immediately clear and they had the chance to show common sense and tell the ref to award the goal. Surely hiding behind the rules is no excuse and that the correct decision being made is far more important.

There is screens at Tottenham so were they not showing the checking process? Even after the game had resumed the error was immediately clear and they had the chance to show common sense and tell the ref to award the goal. Surely hiding behind the rules is no excuse and that the correct decision being made is far more important.
That's what I said on Sunday, decided to uphold the law technicality rather than correct the enormous cock up.

You start to wonder if any of the other weird VAR decisions have been because if mis communication rather than the actual decision. The audio would suggest this is a systematic thing and probably more than likely.

Cricket referrals to the Third Umpire always start by stating the on field decision. Amazing how well one sport uses technology whilst another seems to find another issue every other week. I’m sure a lot stems from the fact cricket aims to get the correct decision and overruling the infield is never an issue and there’s no clear and obvious in the conversation.

That's fucking mental to listen to. That geezer saying to delay and he just gets ignored?! Like fuck off, the game's been restarted for about 20 seconds, just blow your fucking whistle and give the goal you bellends
Yep, the AVAR is telling him to stop the game.

The VAR is saying he can't.

I know that's the process, but in the circumstance which would be worse?

They just don't think logically.

They could momentairiy stop the game, the 4th official describes the situation to the managers and then let them decide what they want to do. At least then you can make spurs look the bad guys rather than look like you did absolutely nothing to rectify it for no real reason other than “we can’t go back now”, even though nothing had actually happened and even 20 seconds later when you were still saying you can’t do anything the ball was dead at a throw in for ages.

I do feel sorry for him as it is a genuine mistake and he’s tried to get to the decision as quick as possible to avoid delays. Couple of years ago they’d have been putting another line on Diaz for another minute for no reason. But the system is clearly flawed. I don’t care so much about “Daz” or “mate” but the lack of saying what your actual decision is, is a bit stupid. I’m surprised this hasn’t happened before (maybe it has, just not for factual offside!). Just using “check complete” for everything is just bizarre. Just say “no foul”, “offside” or whatever the situation asks for.

Yep, the AVAR is telling him to stop the game.

The VAR is saying he can't.

I know that's the process, but in the circumstance which would be worse?

They just don't think logically.
The “Replay Operator” is the one saying delay the game. He’s the only one who seems to know what’s going on and he isn’t part of the officiating team.

On the captions I saw he was the AVAR?

Edit: watched it again, you're right.

Klopp wants the game replayed :D As if there wasn't an entire half to go when the incident happened, how can you possibly say what would have happened afterwards.

I assume we get a penalty at old Trafford then as that literally would have been the last kick of the game?

And Neto can have his disallowed goal at Anfield too?

Liverpool gained 9 points through VAR last season. Something like the 2nd or 3rd most.

Klopp wants the game replayed :D As if there wasn't an entire half to go when the incident happened, how can you possibly say what would have happened afterwards.
Can open worms everywhere if that happens.
Klopp will also be first to moan about fixture congestion also.
Think it’s a case of yes you’ve been fucked over but time to move on.

It’ll get more coverage anyway because it’s Liverpool but I do think the manner of this cock up is so monumentally bad that it does deserve it. At least there’s a scrap of subjectivity to some of the other howlers you can cling to but this was black and white, they just literally didn’t pay attention or know how to communicate properly.

I'm convinced (and I know @Elephant Pyjamas is too) that they made a similar error when we played Everton away in 2019/20. Sigurdsson was definitely offside on his goal, they didn't check it properly at all, and conveniently never showed proper replays of it. Went under the radar though as it's Everton vs Wolves.

It’ll get more coverage anyway because it’s Liverpool but I do think the manner of this cock up is so monumentally bad that it does deserve it. At least there’s a scrap of subjectivity to some of the other howlers you can cling to but this was black and white, they just literally didn’t pay attention or know how to communicate properly.
What about the Villa v Sheffield United goal that wasn't given. Another side were relegated because of it and it was equally as clear cut.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back