• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Football News Thread 2023/24

Status
Not open for further replies.
For me it should be about whether a country has the infrastructure to hold the tournament on it's own. Spain and Italy could, so should bid on that basis imo. Smaller countries to make joint bids where it makes geographic sense to do so.

I'm convinced (and I know @Elephant Pyjamas is too) that they made a similar error when we played Everton away in 2019/20. Sigurdsson was definitely offside on his goal, they didn't check it properly at all, and conveniently never showed proper replays of it. Went under the radar though as it's Everton vs Wolves.
Add me to the convinced pile - Lycan and I were directly in line and shrugged at each other saying "he was offside so this will be var'd out"

If a small host country wants to sub-let some games out to neighbours, then fair enough, but those other countries shouldn't count as hosts in terms of auto qualification.

If a small host country wants to sub-let some games out to neighbours, then fair enough, but those other countries shouldn't count as hosts in terms of auto qualification.

Looks like for Euro 2028 all the host nations are going to have to qualify. Not an issue for England, especially in a 24 team tournament, but could be for the others. Both Irelands are awful at the moment.

Cricket referrals to the Third Umpire always start by stating the on field decision. Amazing how well one sport uses technology whilst another seems to find another issue every other week. I’m sure a lot stems from the fact cricket aims to get the correct decision and overruling the infield is never an issue and there’s no clear and obvious in the conversation.
The same in rugby league. The decision is made by the on field referee who will direct/specify to the video ref on to what he/she should be checking, grounding, in touch, offside, obstruction, etc. If there is no compelling evidence to overturn the onfield decision it stands.

Remembered it slightly wrong, it's Sigurdsson offside but he crosses and Iwobi scores it.

Anyway, offside and it wasn't that close either.

Everton1.png

Batshit decision by Fifa. I find single (or at a push, double) hosts have so much more charm to them. Sad that those days appear to be gone, so many bids for World Cups and Euros are terrible. They've crammed three continents in so they can justify looping back to Asia and then give the Saudis 2034.

Imagine being a fan and having to fly to Paraguay for one game and then all the way back to Spain for the next!

There had been suggestions that the whole of WC 2030 would be held in Uruguay which would have been a great idea for the 100th anniversary but instead its going to be a tournament played over 6 countries and 3 continents, absolute horseshit

Last edited:
There had been suggestions that thee whole of WC 2030 would be held in Uruguay which would have been a great idea for the 100th anniversary but instead its going to be a tournament played over 6 countries and 3 continents, absolute horseshit
One for the environmental safety of the planet

There had been suggestions that thee whole of WC 2030 would be held in Uruguay which would have been a great idea for the 100th anniversary but instead its going to be a tournament played over 6 countries and 3 continents, absolute horseshit

Tbf there is no way Uruguay can host a 48 team tournament.

Tbf there is no way Uruguay can host a 48 team tournament.
Thought that may be the case but don't know about the state of Uruguayan stadia but maybe Brazil and Argentina could assist too

Thought that may be the case but don't know about the state of Uruguayan stadia but maybe Brazil and Argentina could assist too
You'd think that some number of countries on that continent could put together something, but moot as FIFA aren't really interested in being logical, just being rich.

Uruguay is a small country and fairly sparsely populated, if they have more than two stadiums up to standard I'd be amazed.

Lots of disgruntled Man United fans on Twitter.

It appears that tickets returned to the club by season ticket holders unable to attend were repackaged as hospitality and resold specifically to Galatassary supporters for £300 last night and there were pockets of them all over the stadium.

Stadium security were briefed to ignore their presence.

I know we're twenty years removed from the Leeds murders but there was serious opportunity for a repeat by the sound of things.

Looks like for Euro 2028 all the host nations are going to have to qualify. Not an issue for England, especially in a 24 team tournament, but could be for the others. Both Irelands are awful at the moment.
True & with facilities & structures still appalling after the Delaney years, the Government will no doubt use monies earmarked for football development for this vanity project. Only infrastructure that will be improved is a GAA stadium in a different jurisdiction, there will be money thrown at other bits & pieces needed for a successful tournament and the economy will benefit but that will be the hotels, bars, transport etc, all for politicians to preen themselves over 6 matches in a tournament for which we probably won't even qualify.
In the meantime the money that should have been spent on academies, coaches, training facilities & grounds etc, the things needed to bring up the standard of players & your national side will be lost.

You'd think that some number of countries on that continent could put together something, but moot as FIFA aren't really interested in being logical, just being rich.
They were until they realised that they wouldn't outbid a combined UEFA/African bid, so they cut there losses & did a deal for the opening 3 games to mark the 100 years.

The whole thing is about leaving Saudi Arabia a free run in 2034. Has to be Asia or Oceania and Australia won’t bid with the Olympics in Brisbane to pay for. So the only country in the way is probably China which would be equally as bad.

The whole thing is about leaving Saudi Arabia a free run in 2034. Has to be Asia or Oceania and Australia won’t bid with the Olympics in Brisbane to pay for. So the only country in the way is probably China which would be equally as bad.
What do they care about appearances like this, though? Everyone knew from the start that Qatar didn’t “earn” the 2022 WC by playing fair. FIFA barely batted an eyelash over it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back