• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Football News Thread 2023/24

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, Scunny are screwed

‘Moving forward’. Fck off!! I hate ‘moving forward’. He’s decided to ‘stop funding the club’. There. English.

Well we now know the answer to the long running question. David Hilton

Chansiri having a normal one again

Standing ticket prices for Philadelphia Union's next two MLS home games:

Nashville - $33
Inter Messi - $225

Absolutely disgusting...still sold out in 8 minutes.

Lol just read a tweet from a season ticket holder. Two 2023 season tickets cost $6,802, which is absolutely outrageous (maybe a corporate seat that price?).

Quote for next season for the same two seats....€30,600. Thirty thousand, six hundred dollars. For two seats.

Just found this from the Athletic

• According to a seat map sent out to potential season ticket holders Thursday, the center sections on the north end line are $884 per seat — up from $485 last season. Seats on the south end line are $867, up from $592 last year.
  • Seats in the northwest midfield area range from $4,420 to $7,650 with access to various clubs, whereas seats in those sections went for between $2,575 and $3,609 (and up) in 2023.
  • Inter Miami will now offer field-level season tickets on the east sideline, which are listed at $13,005 and include club access. Boxes on the west sideline start at $42,840 per season for four seats and include access to the Midfield Club.

Just found this from the Athletic

• According to a seat map sent out to potential season ticket holders Thursday, the center sections on the north end line are $884 per seat — up from $485 last season. Seats on the south end line are $867, up from $592 last year.
  • Seats in the northwest midfield area range from $4,420 to $7,650 with access to various clubs, whereas seats in those sections went for between $2,575 and $3,609 (and up) in 2023.
  • Inter Miami will now offer field-level season tickets on the east sideline, which are listed at $13,005 and include club access. Boxes on the west sideline start at $42,840 per season for four seats and include access to the Midfield Club.
Courtside for basketball which presumably is where they have got this from is very different to football. Anyone who has sat on the front couple of rows will know that although you may be close to the players the view is actually shit as you can't see things like where the lines for the 18yd box are so you lose perspective. Fine if all you want to do is say you were within a few feet of Messi, not if you actually want to appreciate what he's doing

It’s a fun idea but as Tony says, the huge difference in size between a basketball court and a football pitch severely changes the value prop of being that close up.

Ticket prices here were already pretty gross but since Messi arrived, tickets to any match involving Miami have become toxically expensive.

Got to pay his and his bodyguards wages somehow

Got to pay his and his bodyguards wages somehow
Yeah, he's really hurting with all that Apple money. ;)

He may not be getting paid (directly) by the Saudis, but he'll be raking in cash from his contract well after he retires from playing. The ticket prices are gouging, plain and simple.

It's an odd phenomenon you don't get in England, like I've seen Ronaldo, Figo, Modric, Bale, Suarez, Henry, Rooney, Scholes, Ferdinand, Gerrard, Lampard etc etc etc at Molineux but it's not "event" viewing to me or I imagine anyone else.

It's an odd phenomenon you don't get in England, like I've seen Ronaldo, Figo, Modric, Bale, Suarez, Henry, Rooney, Scholes, Ferdinand, Gerrard, Lampard etc etc etc at Molineux but it's not "event" viewing to me or I imagine anyone else.
Normal over there innit. Y'all have a league that basically represents the pinnacle of the sport, one that everyone (give or take) understands simply by cultural osmosis.

We don't have that here, or even close to it (obviously). 90% of Americans probably still can't explain the offside rule properly. Everything MLS has ever done is about trying to apply pressure to the American Sporting Psyche, trying to claw at any shred of credibility that it can. Bringing in someone like Messi, who even the totally un-soccer-initiated can watch and gather some amount of real appreciation from, is a huge part of that process, IMO.

As much as the ticket prices piss me off, the way they've increased when Messi is around shows that there is demand to watch him specifically, and if that gets butts in seats or eyes on the TV for MLS that otherwise wouldn't have, I'm all for it.

Yeah, I suppose it's like if our basketball league (I'd guess something like League Two to the NBA, to use that clunky comparison) signed LeBron James to one of the teams. Whoever he played for would sell out every single game, and Sky would probably show them all as well.

Some of the players here have bristled at the sudden increase in media attention. One of FC Dallas' CBs was interviewed by a Dallas news station; they asked two or three questions in a row about Messi, the shenanigans around him, etc. After the third, the lad had had enough:

All the extras are all the extras. I’m really only being interviewed for the aspect of who Messi is. I’m not being interviewed because you actually care who I am. And that’s fair.

Watching the MLS community grapple with Messi's arrival has been fascinating.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back