• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Football Coaching Thread

Yes we've only just started with our under 8's, also working a lot on receiving and being calm on the ball as a lot of them do rush. We've already gone to 5 vs 5 as that's what the EPPP wants for under 8's. Have 2 new players coming in next week i think, one who is dropping down from the academy which should strengthen us and it will be interesting to see what level is he at compared to those we already have.

Oh nice mate. First of all, they need to enjoy themselves and I make sure that's the first thing I ask them when they come off the pitch. At that age a lot of them are only interested in dribbling and scoring goals. Not that that shouldn't be encouraged but it's good to see them get their head up and, if someone is in a better position, pass the ball.

I don't know what their academy is like but you would expect them to be more experienced and confident. One of my players played a year up last season, is at West Ham and has been at Spurs training centres and you can see the difference.

sounds class mate. I know a lad that does that development age at Rotherham and he sets his lads goals that they pick off a board, have 3 shots. make 10 passes, score a goal, etc etc. So he can work on there development and challenge them without involving in the score. He will sometimes guide them to the higher challenge or tailor it if needed. There are a couple of Rotherham academy lads just started at my school (Y7) and they are lovely lads as well so think they have really worked on the culture side of them. After the first training session for school they came over afterwards and shook mine and the other staff members hands and said "thanks for coaching us sir" and then told the other lads they had to thank us for giving up our time for them! we literally stood there gobsmacked!

Can't believe that they wouldn't help you out when you were short, did they have subs as well?

They seemed to have about a million players! The week before I just used one player in both games but it just didn't happen. Makes it a bit sweeter that we played so well and you wouldn't have known who had more players!

One of my boys does the same mate, always comes and shakes my hand at the end pf a game or training. No surprise that he is the one who listens in training and is improving rapidly!

What I look for mainly during the games is sticking to their positions.
solbakken81.thumb.jpg

Ha.

U13s won 9-1, silly game because opposition had 7 players and I had 3 subs! I tried persuading them to let me give them three of my players and even it up but they weren't having it! Still, scored some nice goals and our other teams did well so a successful day.

Its mental that attitude of not swapping players or allowing the opposition to help you out. The kids are there to play and it would be better to play with fairer sides, better for your own team too.

I know, it's crazy! Two of my players were absolutely fine with it, I had discussed it with the boys before I went over to talk to the ref and the other team.

U8s did really well again, won heavily against a strong, physical side on a massive pitch. Some really good football played at times and the boys are getting confident enough to try tricks during the game

u13s lost 4-2, but it was a fantastic game of football to watch between two teams trying to play the right way. The two goals we scored were both excellent flowing forward moves, but each goal we conceded was a silly mistake, two of them failing to deal with the ball in the air, but we can work on that.

Most impressive was at goal kicks. My keeper will never just kick it long to get it away from goal now. Even when they pressed us high we tried to play out. One bit in particular that sticks with me is that he played it to my centre midfielder who had dropped deep to receive it, but lost it on the edge of the area and they shot over. He still showed for it again and keeper still played it to one of my centre backs.

How are the parents liking it? Do they appreciate what you are trying to do or are they the shouty gerrit-forward types?

It's interesting, they are pretty good about it. But then the thing is the players are doing well at it, if they were rubbish and we conceded loads of goals from it their attitudes would probably be a bit different.

I have more problems with my u8s parents who just shout 'pass it' at the best players. I have to regularly remind them to stop coaching and let them make their own decisions.

1-1 for the u18s then. Extremely good football at times, great one and two touch passing, fullbacks played well and really drove the team forward. Seem to have an issue wanting to pull the trigger though, kept trying to line up the perfect chance. Other team defended like beavers at times! Went 1-0 down in the 70th minute to the other sides first shot on target, they only had 3 shots all day from what I counted. Wednesday I just observed as the u19s manager took the training but am doing a slot myself this week. Training was really impressive though. 40 in total with 18 with the u19/u18s. Got some really talented players, predominantly players that have had some form of academy involvement or at least been scouted/on the fringes.

That's nice mate. What kind of sessions do you have planned? Would love to know and see if I can relate it to my u13s, who I try to push in training.

I am going to plan it tomorrow, going to do a game to emphasis shooting and quick decisions with the final pass I think. I am going to have a look for some coaching software so I can make session plans to share easier. I jot a lot of them down in my pad at the minute but I have terrible hand writing and would rather do everything by ICT. If I can't find anything I will just scan my pad up though. I wrote down the one I saw last week from the other coach too.

yeah, it's a bit easier and more professional looking if you have it all printed off. That is something I need to be better at too, I just jot it down a lot of the time. I need to keep a track of everything, so I can look back and know what I have worked on with the kids.

I have a folder that I put everything I either do or see in. That why I find its easier for me to remember and adapt on the spot if I need. Especially as I know work with 4 different teams that are all different age groups and abilities.

Resources from the Wolves session mentioned on here are up:

http://coachingfamily.com/2013/09/25/wolves-academy-resources/

Not got a great deal to show from yesterday Young Wolf, one of the other coaches run the session and the lads didn't really take to it (I know this because I can read subtle signs, such as when they say "this is bullshit this!" to me) however I think it was a passing drill designed for younger players. So will draw it up and scan it in.

Back