• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Football Coaching Thread

If I lived in Wolverhampton I would definitely go to it!

yeah me too. I often try to look to see if Wolves do open training sessions with the first team as I would also go to that. Would love to see a pro team day to day and see what they do and work on.

So the CPD I was at last night was by Pete Sturgess, really interesting to see him in person having seen a lot of his stuff on various courses and the FA site. Brilliant manner, was focusing on if you can teach kids tactics in the development stage. Did a couple of fundamental movement games with them first to warm up, put them in groups and got them to give themselves numbers (1,2,3,4 depending on group size) he then picked a number and shouted it and that person had to chase the next number (number 1, 1 chases 2, number 3, number 3 chases 1 or 4 depending on group size) then added a ball for them to dribble round.

He then moved on to an invasion game where he set up a sort of pyramid, at the tip was one person that had two gates to defend either side, behind him was 2 people guarding 3 gates, and then the same set up behind them. The attacking team have to get as many people from one end to the other as possible, if you are tagged your out. Teams changed sides and repeated. The 2nd round though the teams were allowed to pick a "secret agent" they told the coach who this was prior to starting and if they got him through it was worth 10 points. The final progression they moved onto to footballs, they had to get as many balls as they could from the starting point to the end, either by dribbling, passing to a team mate, one twos etc. If the defending team won the ball they could dribble it out to gain a point and kill the ball.

Got given a handout so will scan it in and turn it into a PDF and put it up as he did two other drills, will detail them later.

The second one sounds great! Definitely stick them up here mate, would be excellent :)

First game this Sunday in a friendly, got 13 in my squad for u13s and four or five coming down so I can look at them. One of them is a year younger but very good technically, but I want to make sure he's confident enough to play a year up and not harm his development

Will have to do it Monday as had too much stuff to carry home to bring the scanner with me from my office. The final drill they did was called "tick tock" and I thought this was cracking, two goals back to back. Yellows played 4v2 (or whatever you want) on one side, and the reds played 4vs2 on the other side. The game clock starts at 10 minutes and only one side are allowed to play at once, so say Yellows start and if they manage to score they get the ball back to start at the end of there game space and can attack again and can keep attacking until they don't score or get tackled or the keeper makes a save, the clock stops then. And then the game is transferred to the other side with the reds now attacking. Once one team established a lead the coach began to encourage the players to see if they could delay putting the ball out or keep possession or take longer in the build up, half way through the losing side were giving a "transfer window" in which they could move a player from either side. to either go 5-2 or 3-3 etc

Albert Einstein's guide to coaching:
"We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them."

Downloaded it mate.

Just had futsal session with my u13s. Just did a warm up and had them playing 5-a-side stuff. They loved it! All adapted to a different type of football and was interesting to watch them working their way out of tight situations as the weight of the ball prevents them from just clearing it!

yeah great Futsal, I use futsal rules when we play indoors now. Take the walls out of play and it adds a whole other consideration and aspect of intelligence into the game. Had our first game this evening for school and won 4-1 against a side that has beaten us pretty much every year. Our lads have all started to grow now though as historically we have been one of the smallest sides in our area so its nice to be showing we are better than teams that have in the past simply bullied us out of games. Weren't great with the ball mind however they have been moved to the adult pitch now so its a lot harder for them to play the style they like.

If you have the chance try and show them some clips of Falco the Brazil Futsal guy. He does some disgracefully good stuff!

I've got some players who it suited perfectly. The ones who were good at it were constantly moving the ball, while others were still adjusting to the weight of the ball. As the weeks go on I think I'll definitely see it all come to good effect in their games on Sundays.

My team have just moved onto a bigger pitch, and I've noticed it suited them. They are killing teams with their use of the space. I've had a huge, quick striker join me but even before he got on the pitch we wer two up inside about five minutes. We have a particular style, which lets the full backs really do damage going forward. I look forward to seeing when a team we come up against finally realises all of our width comes from the full backs and how we deal with them trying to counter that.

We have our first London cup game in the first week of October, a home tie against a team from Lewisham!

So on Sunday I begin my trail tenure as assistant manager and coach for the Hallam FC u18 team. The manager is a Uefa A coach and manages the first team and the u18s currently and is looking for someone to come in and help him out initially and to take some of the work load off him. Anyway I got invited down on Wednesday to meet the manager at Hallam FC (oldest football ground in the world and 2nd oldest team in the world) so am looking forward to starting sunday and training Wednesday. Not sure how it will pan out but will be a really good experience hopefully.

That's nice mate! What's the quality of the side like? Have you done anything with them yet?

Yeah well Wednesday was the U19 league and a lot of them play for the u18s. Really impressed, very good technical ability and a real interest in getting it down and playing, the pitch is on a hell of a slope though! I had heard about it but never in non league have I seen the like. I didn't realise it but I actually played against a lot of the lads in this side a few weeks ago. Hallam's Reserve side are in the same as my clubs first side and I play for them when they are struggling and we lost 3-2 to the Hallam reserves and two of the lads from the side I will be managing scored in that game and both are technically way above my own level.

Was really pleased though as they contacted me out the blue, one of the coaches I know was chatting to me after that game and on Monday he just rang me and said Chris (the manager) had mentioned this opportunity to him and he recommended me. Hopefully I ain't on here in a few weeks telling the story of how I was sacked following a poor run of results!

Haha, sounds really good mate. A great opportunity. Hopefully they take to you quickly and have the right attitude!

That's brilliant BMB. Let us know how you get on and what you're working on.

u8s were magnificent today. Gradually starting to pass the ball more and showing a better shape even though I am regularly changing their positions.

In the first game I had to play with 6, and couldn't move someone over as the opposition weren't very sympathetic. Still, they dominated and won 4-0. Second game a six nil win. They have a tougher game next week and more of a physical challenge too so be interesting to see how they handle it.

How many a side do they play YW, are they playing 5 v 5? Anything you particularly ask of them in their playing positions?

7-a-side. I play 2-3-1, but after Christmas will play 3-2-1 to just challenge them and play different positions.

We've only just started and had three training sessions. I've done a lot of passing and receiving, talking about controlling on the back foot. What I look for mainly during the games is sticking to their positions. I have a couple of really good defenders but when I change them with someone else suddenly the defence goes missing! Needs to be done though.

Although I'd rather have a couple of goalkeepers, it's good for them to have a half in goal from time to time because thy get to see the game going on in front of them. it's interesting how many of them have no qualms about just giving it to the goalkeeper, there was a brilliant moment in the game when someone did that and the kid in goal at the time for me beat the forward with a skill and pass it back to the player who gave it to him!

Back