• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Football Coaching Thread

One of my boys has stopped training with Spurs - they weren't going to sign him but wanted him to be in the shadow squad. Parents said no. He's having a couple of weeks off, and it's a shame but he would walk into Orient's academy so there's that as an option

One of my boys has stopped training with Spurs - they weren't going to sign him but wanted him to be in the shadow squad. Parents said no. He's having a couple of weeks off, and it's a shame but he would walk into Orient's academy so there's that as an option

What kind of reasons do Spurs give, what does he lack at the moment that they feel he/they couldn't work on. How much individual tutorship was he given to try and get him up to the required levels?

I'm not sure I was just on the phone to his Dad last night - was shocked. He's unbelievably quick , reads the game really well , pretty disciplined for an 8 year old too and technically fine. He'll be a great player in a few years.

The other boy who has been signed is different type, doesn't get around the pitch as well but incredibly intelligent player and tries all the tricks that they teach them which is what they are looking for I guess. Both should have been signed IMO anyway

I'm not sure I was just on the phone to his Dad last night - was shocked. He's unbelievably quick , reads the game really well , pretty disciplined for an 8 year old too and technically fine. He'll be a great player in a few years.

The other boy who has been signed is different type, doesn't get around the pitch as well but incredibly intelligent player and tries all the tricks that they teach them which is what they are looking for I guess. Both should have been signed IMO anyway

What i think is so important when a youngster has this sort of rejection is how his support team, family and friends treat it. They can't make it a big deal, just a learning curve that will open up other opportunities.

U8s won their cup final!!!!! First team lost four nil, and the second team scored five in the second half to win it on aggregate! Absolutely buzzing and a Barnet scout was interested in four of my players

Well done mate, have you done any more qualifications recently? I was considering putting in for my level 2 goal keeper but its on the weekends in august and I am going to be away with the NCS challenge program this summer so don't want to be away during the week and then out all weekend.

Thanks mate. I've done the first two days of the youth module 2 last week, complete it start of June. Enjoyed it so far. Aims for me are to do my futsal level 1 and perhaps goalkeeper level 1 too. What is it like?

Off to Oxford on Thursday for a 2 day games programme with Walsall's elite development teams .Oxford, Wycombe and Histon are the other teams there so should be a good couple of days.

Prozone is in the process of releasing a licensed software to the general public. With this affordable software, smaller colleges, high schools, amateur club teams, and fans will have the ability to analysis soccer games of their liking. Giving the general public access to this type of product can help change the cultural of U.S. soccer that is holding back the current MLS teams who are not taking advantage of performance analysis. Just as the U.S. coaching system is changing by generation to generation with different philosophies, so can the acceptance of using performance analysis and the back room staff.

http://worldsoccertalk.com/2014/05/...utm_content=bufferea9f7&utm_medium=social&utm

Finished the youth Module 2 today. Really good course, more in depth than the youth module 1 which I also really enjoyed. Really challenges you to think about the outcomes to your sessions, and how you can achieve them. Certainly got me thinking and looking forward to putting it all into practice.

Plenty of summer tournaments coming up now too. If I have all my players available then I think my u13s can win all three of the tournaments they are in while the u8s ones will be good fun!

Chuffed that one of my players has just signed for Barnet's academy for next season. When we started out last year, it was really hard work to get him to come out of his shell and express himself. Over the past six months he has improved at a fantastic rate and he's such a talented little footballer. The type of kid you seeing going places whatever he chooses to do with his life. Very proud :)

Had a boy who didn't turn up or sign up this year for my u8s from last season, without any notification at all. Found out last week his Mum's phone had been broken and that he too had signed for Barnet. Another boy is still regularly training with Orient is one of two at the session who are unsigned at the sessions, so they must be keen to keep an eye on him. Very pleasing seeing these boys get the chance they deserve

I've emailed a guy at a club asking about volunteering, saying I was happy to work with any age group. He forwarded to all coaches and had seven responses from people asking me to come and help them! So plenty of option, I've said to the u7s guys that I'd like to because I enjoy working with that age group a lot but also told an u13s I'd like to if I have the time.

My friend who's been there a year says on thre course I'm doing theres loads of course they offer to you, such as youth modules and goalkeeper awards etc so I will use that to my advantage as much as possible too.

I was going to post this earlier, i was speaking to a coach today who was telling me his session with one of the development teams and he was doing a simple passing and receiving session but encouraging his players to keep the ball and not to be afraid of going backwards or sideways if it was needed or the best option. One of the kids put up their hand and said my manager of a Sunday doesn't let me pass backwards.

And we still wonder why our players struggle to develop when they are told things like that.

"To pass the ball sideways, let alone backwards, was to shirk responsibility"

Who said that?

Ha! Sad but not surprising

Back