• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Fitness Thread

I need to start going to the gym again, spent the last few weeks sidetracked by doing extra shifts at work and having niggling little injuries from football but as long as my legs dont take a beating on Sunday i'll try to get back to it next week.

I've slimmed down a fair bit the last couple of weeks just through playing football a few times a week, despite only losing a small amount of weight, so hopefully some extra work in the gym can build on that.

Last night I went to gym 10 minutes on the bike an hour of weights and then a 1.5k swim.

I then wen tto the pub had 6 pints of Guinness & a bucket of chicken wings.

I'm doing Amsterdam marathon in a month or so. A bit behind schedule due to beeing under the weather for all of august. Have now done 12 workouts in 12 days, about to go out for my 13th now. Feels good to be back on track.

I'm running 4-5 times a week, never more than about 4.5 miles, but I run pretty fast (for me!) and I sprinkle in a few fartlek runs now and again. I've also started using Herbalife sports nutritional products and I've lost about a stone in the last 6 months and when I run I'm down to running 6 minute miles (approximately). I'm now at about the waist size I was when I was in my 20s! My aim is to be fit enough and fast enough to compete for my club on the track next summer, even at my veteran age.

Started again this week after moving down to Nottingham. Put around 4/5lb back on but I've managed to shift that this week.

Joined a new gym and got a program sorted yesterday - I think its going to kill me! Mixture of cardio, kettle bells and then some more weights and cardio to finish it off.

Started again this week after moving down to Nottingham. Put around 4/5lb back on but I've managed to shift that this week.

Joined a new gym and got a program sorted yesterday - I think its going to kill me! Mixture of cardio, kettle bells and then some more weights and cardio to finish it off.

Does your local RA have training nights. In Leicestershire we have a training night every thursday , with ex Premier league referee Paul Danson in charge. It is hard work, but it is ideally suited for referees, given that they run in short sprints, with a lot of twisting and turning.

I've knocked running on the head, having cartilage problems in my left knee after anything over 30 minutes. Running on road helps as opposed to off-camber trails but I find it too dull by comparison.

On the plus side it's leaving a bit more time for cycling and completed my first century last weekend, 126 miles in total but completed my 100 in a not too shabby 5 and a half hours. Pretty happy with that :)

If you have cartilage problems then wouldn't something less impact based than running be better for it? Cycling is ok but swimming would be better.

Going to the gym in 30mins for my induction. Really looking forward to it. First time I've ever been to a gym since high school and first proper exercise (apart from exercise bike) since I quit smoking 2 years ago.

If you have cartilage problems then wouldn't something less impact based than running be better for it? Cycling is ok but swimming would be better.

It's fine for cycling, I can spend a fair few hours in the saddle without a single issue.

I've struggled to fit swimming in, but we are moving offices in a few weeks and will be passing a pool on the way home. I'm hoping to make a habit of dropping in for an hour.

Just done my induction. Feel knackered. Beat my mate on the 2 challenges the instructor gave us. Rowing to 500m on hardest setting I did 12 secs faster. And the other was on some sort of resistance windmill machine.

Feel happy with that,

Which gym have you joined Bandy?

Dolphin Center in Bromsgrove. £29 a month including as much swimming as possible and free to go to all classes. The gym has just had a massive makeover and has all new machinery.

Sounds good. Always good when they've had new equipment.

I've joined Virgin Active in Nottingham but its £42 a month. Looking forward to starting my program though.

He told me to have a play on the machines for 2/3 weeks, do a lot of cardio and then we'll do a program.

Don't know what your goals are but if it's weight loss make sure you involve some interval training in your cardio work.

Yeah for me it's weight loss , stamina building and build my arms up.

Back