• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Fitness Thread

I'm in appalling shape at the moment, I'm not running in this heat yet I've got to start getting into shape for the Birmingham Half Marathon in October.

Langers the laggard?

I've got a triathlon on Sunday, that'll be emotional.

Langers the laggard?

I've got a triathlon on Sunday, that'll be emotional.

best of luck Sir.

Such a huge amount of respect for anyone who even attempts to do a triathlon. Pretty sure I would drown so wouldn't have to worry about the cycling or running part.

when I was first given a knacker of a bike I found that within 200 yards I wanted to die, I was so out of shape.
4-8 weeks of cycling to/from work and I was fitter, recovery times improved, and my journey time was reduced.

Stick with it kenny, it won't take too long til you feel the benefits.

As you all know had a Knee replacement in January.
Been building up my fitness, and after 3 cycles on a Saturday of

1 20 miles - Averaging 16MPH
2 * 30 miles averaging 15MPH

I followed the last 30 mile cycle this Saturday with a tough 20 miles cycle 2 days later, OMFG my legs were battered last night the last 3 miles which is a steady climb was a real grind, I only averaged 13.4 MPH.

I'll not be back out now until Saturday when i'll do a harder 30 - 40 miles.

Good luck with Tri's, That was how i eventually screwed my knee though playing football for best apart of 35 years did not help.

Nice work Glasgow. Those numbers are pretty decent, tbf. What sort of elevation gain are you managing? Are you on Strava?

Not been able to get on my bike for 6 and a half weeks and I've probably put on 2 stone! Gonna try out the ankle at the weekend.

Frankly, if Luke Rowe can shatter his leg into a million pieces and be back racing within a year I can't see why you've had any time out of the saddle at all TBH.

Ligaments take longer than bones to heal, apparently.... :whistle:

Certainly take longer to heal in this heat/weather, when there's a world cup on, and beer in the fridge :ico_wink:

Right, done 2 trips since the attempted Murder on Tuesday.

Really is some shocking level of fitness going on here. Done the same on both sessions

1 x 25m on the treadmill. Broke down into basically 9 mins of jogging and the rest walking (Walking the machine is at 5.7km p/h then jogging at 8km p/h and the incline set at 4
1 x 10km on the Bike (Takes around 21 mins). (Bike on the middle difficulty level)
Rest of the time is on the weight machines, mainly doing shoulder and chest exercises as my left shoulder is weak as piss after the op I had a few years back I never really did anything after it.

That is killing me and you would think I had been swimming when I leave the gym.

when your fitness improves, it'll still hurt, but either you'll be used to it, or it just doesn't quite hurt as much.

here to help :)

seriously, fair play. it's a journey (man).

greglemond-quote-640x421.jpg

Couple of weeks in and decided just to do a bike session this morning. Pretty pleased with this to be honest.

37295113_10156640195094443_7693560623673638912_n.jpg

131 watts is pretty decent over an hour, I think mate. I have no proper idea about power output though as there's no affordable way of accurately measuring power output on a bike.

All I know is it has ruined my legs!!

No idea how you and others do the long bikes rides and up hills.

All I know is it has ruined my legs!!

No idea how you and others do the long bikes rides and up hills.
Had this for the first 6-8 weeks of cycling to/from the old place of work (it had some hills!)
Initially, I got home, the legs were like jelly, and I felt very unsteady, especially climbing the stairs. However that passed after the 2 month period.

I have to do a run tomorrow. I love the heatwave but it's awful for running in, so my fitness is plummeting as a result as I've barely been out.

I think it's going to hurt.

Back