• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Film Thread

Watched Guardians Of The Galaxy yesterday. Huge let down and completely bang average. File it along with Thor: The Dark World in terms of scope and enjoyment.

I've just seen the teaser trailer for Star Wars: Episode VII.

Not much to see on it except a few spaceships, the Milennium Falcon and a strange red lightsaber, but that's beside the point. I'm still moist.

CGI looks stunning and that's a full year before release.

I've just seen the teaser trailer for Star Wars: Episode VII.

Not much to see on it except a few spaceships, the Milennium Falcon and a strange red lightsaber, but that's beside the point. I'm still moist.

The lightsabre was world class. Lovely to see the Falcon back too - she may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, kid.

How strange, I absolutely loved guardians of the Galaxy and can't wait to see it again.

Dawn of the Planet of the Apes

What an enjoyable series this is turning out to be - I enjoyed Rise of the Planet of the Apes but I thought this was better. Very well paced, some awesome action scenes and the apes themselves are tremendous.

It's been a fantastic reboot of the classic films, and shits all over that monstrosity Mark Wahlberg was in about 10 years ago. And Caesar is cool. I want one.

I've got Apes on my watch list. Not got round to it yet though.

Lucy - Was looking forward to this but turned out to be a bit too silly and if anything a bit short. 6/10.

Sin City 2 - More of the same but not quite as good at stitching the three stories together as the first one, and the stories aren't as good anyway. Eva Green has her kit off plenty though. 6/10.

Dawn Of The Planet Of The Apes - Wow. The apes CGI is just incredible and so real looking. The film is damn good too. Good story with some top action scenes.

Went to see the final Hobbit installment this afternoon. A fitting and very well played out final part to the trilogy. Hits all the right notes with the characters and throws in some fantastic battle scenes -

Especially Billy Connolly as Dain

It didn't feel 160 mins long and I'm looking forward to the extended version already!

Tauriel really was a fantastic addition to the source material IMO. One of my favourite characters and perfection in casting. Her love triangle with Legolas and Kili was a nice foil to the fighting and fantasy.

It also had probably the coolest fight scene in all the six Middle Earth films ever too:

Galadriel, Saruman and Elrond facing off against the nine Ringwraiths and Sauron! It was bloody awesome if a bit short.

There was some great nods to the LOTR films at the end but also a couple of painfully done hints to characters in the original trilogy, especially:

Thranduil telling Legolas to look for a Dunedain ranger called Strider as they ought to meet.... He may as well have been mugging off into the camera as he spoke, it was that cringeworthy!

Love the sound of that. Personally I don't think Jackson should have added non-hobbit characters like Legolas to the script, but he has done it well so far and I look forward to seeing the film.

As soon as the extended version boxset of the three films is out, it will have pride of place next to the lord of the rings boxset on my DVD shelf, for sure.

I always thought that bad films happened cos whore studio execs needlessly tampered with the genius output of their creative team. The leaked Bond script suggests that might not always be the case.

[h=1]Electric Boogaloo: The Wild, Untold Story of Cannon Films[/h]Just watched this......some fucking hilarious stories and talking ill of the dead...(Micheal Winner doesnt come out too good)
Anyone who grew up watching the utter trash that this company produced will piss themselves silly at this.

Saw Under The Skin on Saturday night - the one where Scarlett Johnsonn is an alien driving round Glasgow in a white van picking up single men to seduce and then (sort of) eat. Excellent film - weird, sexy and creepy. The scenes where SJ is just wandering round Glasgow incognito, amongst the real folk of the town, are very well done.
A lot of people hated it though so I guess it's a marmite job.

Back