• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Film Thread

Saw Were the Millers on the flight back, quite enjoyed it ! My metamorphosis into a woman is now complete :)

Rise of the Planet of the Apes - had no idea where it was going at one point, but ended up as a pretty entertaining couple of hours. Better than the mess Tim Burton directed with Tim Roth and Mark Wahlberg. I'll look out for the sequel.

Pompeii - the most OTT pile of unoriginal dreck I've seen in ages. Starring Kit 'Jon Snow' Harrington as the lead role, with Jack Bauer totally miscast as a camp, devious Roman senator. Nice effects, nice authenticity of the layout/architecture of Pompeii but an appalling 'plot', hammy acting, scenes blatantly ripped off Gladiator/Spartacus and even fucking Titanic really didn't help it. An awful film.

Recently seen:

Captain America: The Winter Soldier - Well most of it, I fell asleep towards the end due to being completely knackered but what I saw looked good. I'll finish it off at some point.

Amazing Spider-Man II - OK if you love effects, and has a bit of a deeper storyline than the original series of films. Typical comic book fayre and kills a couple of hours.

Godzilla - Not really bad but not really good either, the trailers really do tell a lie and the film doesn't deliver anywhere near what it could. Amazing effects and when he shows up Godzilla is quite the sight but it lets you down on so many levels. Worth watching but don't expect to be amazed.

Also watched Cap America Winter Soldier last week. I tried to really like it but it was just average for me. Decent but nothing to write home about. Did you spot the nod to Pulp Fiction near the end?

Edge Of Tomorrow with Tom Cruise however was really good. Very enjoyable and I always like a good time travel plot device. It's kind of like Source Code, Saving Private Ryan and Starship Troopers all rolled into one.

Watched Flightplan last night. Preposterous nonsense!

Got the Final Cut Blade Runner as an anniversary pressie. Looking forward to watching that later. In my top five favourite films of all time.

Did you spot the nod to Pulp Fiction near the end?

I watched the last forty minutes or so with my eyes shut so that's probably a no, and to be honest it's been years since I saw Pulp Fiction so not sure whether I'd spot it anyway. Unless someone shoves a watch up there arse or has a pool ball in their gob.

Just watched High Fidelity again for the billionth time. I think it just about makes my top 5 films of all time. Ironically.

Actually probably just outside the top 5 thinking about it.

I wasn't keen on the film. Not having read the book first.

While we're on it then. People's top 10 films of all time. I'll start off.

1. The Big Lebowski
2. The Matrix
3. The Usual Suspects
4. The Shawshank Rdemption
5. Almost Famous
6. Pulp Fiction
7. High Fidelity
8. Good Will Hunting
9. Toy Story
10. Groundhog Day

Stuff like Dumb & Dumber and Goodfellas are unlucky to just miss out there. Plus mentions to Planet Of The Apes (1968), 12 Angry Men, All About Your Mother, Die Hard, Leon, Trainspotting, The Truman Show, LOTR: FOTR.

That's probably my top 20 there. Bound to be a few I've forgotten too.

Edit - yep. Back To The Future, Fargo, Terminator 2, The Thing, Snatch, Amelie, The Diving Bell & The Butterfly, Ratatouille, A Simple Plan.

I really loved 21 Grams when I watched it too but I've never got round to watching that one again for some reason.

Bear, I thought about this question the other day, and even though I think it would be impossible to limit mine to just 10, im gonna try and give this a go a little later.

Groundhog Day made it in your 10 !! That would be amongst my worst ones :(

Bill Murray is awesome. I love Lost In Translation too. Another one I forgot.

Bear, I thought about this question the other day, and even though I think it would be impossible to limit mine to just 10, im gonna try and give this a go a little later.

I got it down to 20, then ended up with my 10.

Billy Elliot
Gladiator
Schindlers List
Its A Wonderful life
Cinderella Man
Seven Pounds
The Fan
The Last Samurai
A Beautiful Mind
Philadelphia

I could never tire of any of the above, no matter how many times I watch them.

Back