• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Film Thread

As for Captain America 2, I finally got around to watching that last night and I quite enjoyed it. That said, I like pretty much all of the Marvel films that are out at the moment.

Oh is that Edge Of Tomorrow? I forgot the title had been changed for US/UK.

I thought it was great. Source Code meets Starship Troopers.

I never realised it had two titles ! Why was this, was it just for the DVD ? I think ' Live Die Repeat ' is more apt !

This film confirms that im really not into the repeating/ again and again plot. Same as Groundhog Day and Vantage Point ( I think it was )

You wouldn't like Source Code then.

Also liked it and I may have a soft spot for Emily Blunt... The wife enjoyed the film too, mainly because Tom Cruise dies lots :icon_lol:
Where Miss Blunt is concerned my spot is anything but soft!

The Secret Life Of Walter Mitty.

It was very enjoyable by the end, though I think the film suffered in the first half with not knowing what it wanted to be. The silly comedy bits were very jarring to me, especially the Benjamin Button scene which was just stupid rubbish that didn't belong. It took me out of the film and I think those comedy moments were completely misjudged.

In the second half of the film once he left America, I thought it was great. Wiig and Stiller were both great and the chemistry between them was good. Cool ending too.

Overall I felt it really didn't need to dip into comedy set-pieces, it was working fine without them. It's a shame as there is a really good, thoughtful and poignant film in there crying to get out.

6/10 for me. Enjoyable but disappointing.

The Secret Life Of Walter Mitty.

It was very enjoyable by the end, though I think the film suffered in the first half with not knowing what it wanted to be. The silly comedy bits were very jarring to me, especially the Benjamin Button scene which was just stupid rubbish that didn't belong. It took me out of the film and I think those comedy moments were completely misjudged.

In the second half of the film once he left America, I thought it was great. Wiig and Stiller were both great and the chemistry between them was good. Cool ending too.

Overall I felt it really didn't need to dip into comedy set-pieces, it was working fine without them. It's a shame as there is a really good, thoughtful and poignant film in there crying to get out.

6/10 for me. Enjoyable but disappointing.

Thats what spoilt it for me too Bear, just no need for some of the comedy bits in it. Good ending though and some really enjoyable scenes inbetween , including when hes on his board.

Now , he's a really shite one to avoid, A Million Ways To Die In The West.4/10 for me.

Mandela: Long Walk to Freedom

Not as good as it should have been. I feel that such an epic story can't really be precised into a 3 hour film. It would have been perfect for a mini series IMO. Idris Elba and Naomi Harris are both very good in it, but I didn't really feel the scale of the time he was incarcerated for. It's such a mammoth story with so many side plots before, during and after Mandela's time in prison that I just felt that it wasn't done enough justice. I didn't feel that he was powerful enough when the Rivonia trials began.

By no means a bad film, and it probably doesn't help that I was constantly comparing it to the vastly superior 12 Years a Slave that was released at the same time (hardly a fault of this film, I know!) but it seemed to be an opportunity lost IMO.

Haven't been to the cinema in ages. Was contemplating going to see Interstellar. I enjoyed Inception, so wondering if this is gonna be a good one? Any thoughts?

Also debating going to see a re-run of Frankenstein with Jonny Lee Miller.Benedict Cumberbatch.

I went to see Gone Girl yesterday. Not quite up there with some of David Fincher's other films, but still really good, despite a slightly disappointing ending.

Watched X-Men Days Of Future Past last night. Enjoyed this one a lot more than I thought I would. Thumbs up from me.

I absolutely love the guy who moves really fast/slows down time in that

Godzilla:

Thought I'd hate it, or at the very least think it was a bit crap but saw the humour of it all but I was actually impressed with it. No classic, but it's an entertaining yarn with huge fuck-off monsters and plenty of explosions. Thought the scale of it all was impressive and I loved the way they had Godzilla's scales breach the surface of the water when he was approaching land. That was cool.

The acting is predictably wooden and the characters two dimensional but it's a monster movie with big explosions and shit. So I can't say I was too fussed by it.

I preferred Pacific Rim but Godzilla was an enjoyable way to spend two hours. 7/10

Didn't like the idea of a Dumb and Dumber 2 film but the trailer looks pretty funny!

I love these, and this one is especially funny.

Warning: Spoilers!!

I think we're all going to be sick of superhero movies in 2017!

f2f293e1175232c0af519d450482c322.jpg

Back