• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Film Thread

Finally off to see The Hobbit tonight - very excited indeed!

I reluctantly watched it on NYE with the family having been out-voted in the selection process and thoroughly enjoyed it.

Just got back from seeing The Hobbit. Tremendous. I loved it - tons of action, gorgeous scenery, a terrific performance from Martin Freeman and just a good, entertaining film - a fine way to spend a Friday evening.

Maybe a few too many CGI characters (a few of the main orcs being the biggest culprits) - I loved the Uruk Hai in LOTR for example because the prosthetics and costumes made them much more believable and more menacing. With the exception of Gollum who was as good as ever, having purely CGI characters does tend to lose something in performance.

I can also see how they're getting 3 films out of this with the extra characters/side plots. I've no issue with the scriptwriters sticking in a ton of action to extend the film at all - but I think others may do. It's certainly a lot more padded than LOTR.

But I'm pleased. Really enjoyed it.

Just got back from seeing The Hobbit. Tremendous. I loved it - tons of action, gorgeous scenery, a terrific performance from Martin Freeman and just a good, entertaining film - a fine way to spend a Friday evening.

Maybe a few too many CGI characters (a few of the main orcs being the biggest culprits) - I loved the Uruk Hai in LOTR for example because the prosthetics and costumes made them much more believable and more menacing. With the exception of Gollum who was as good as ever, having purely CGI characters does tend to lose something in performance.

I can also see how they're getting 3 films out of this with the extra characters/side plots. I've no issue with the scriptwriters sticking in a ton of action to extend the film at all - but I think others may do. It's certainly a lot more padded than LOTR.

But I'm pleased. Really enjoyed it.

Missus is about to read your review. Thank god it is a positive one.

What did you think of Radagast Langers? I thought he was a really good addition. The only complaint is the CGI of him being chased by the wargs was very noticeable.

What did you think of Radagast Langers? I thought he was a really good addition. The only complaint is the CGI of him being chased by the wargs was very noticeable.

Radagast is BRILLIANT.

Not just because he used to be Dr Who either - I liked his character in the LOTR books. I want one of those rabbits.

Off to see Jack Reacher today. I'm sure Langdale will disapprove...

I thoroughly enjoyed the Jack Reacher film. If you're familiar with One Shot, you'll appreciate how faithfully it sticks to the plot. There's a good balance between action scenes and investigation/character scenes. And crucially, and almost unbelievably, Cruise does a pretty good job of portraying Reacher, getting the right balance between calm and menace, humour and aggression. As Lee Child said, you can get an actor who's 100% Reacher's size and 90% Reacher's character or you could have Cruise who is 90% the size and 100% the character. I know which works best and fair play to Cruise, as a person he's not someone I like, but he does a pretty fine acting job in this IMO.

Just got back from The Hobbit.

Was OK.

Did find myself getting annoyed at the constant sure-death situations that the group find themself in and... Ah yes they've been saved or squirmed out again, onto the next bit....

I've not read the book to comment on the story as a whole though - so I am looking forward to watching the 3 films as it's new to me.

I'd recommend it to see for yourself if you like it, lots of computer work in it, didn't seem great in a few places but I'm no expert, just noticed.

Anyone seen Looper? Was it good?

(No spoilers please) :)

Just watched Up for the first time. How have I not seen this before?! Brilliant stuff even by Pixar's standards.

Pitch Perfect made Squeeze laugh all the way to Singapore.

I have to say ,having enjoyed the Hobbit loads, that the Radagast character is bollocks and totally incongrous to the book, and indeed Lord of the Rings. Awful error to put that nonsense in.

Langers, I notice you've not responded to my mini-review of the Reacher film!! To be fair the only action films I've seen in recent weeks are Skyfall and Jack Reacher and IMO the Reacher movie absolutely pisses all over Skyfall in all kinds of ways.

Back