• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Film Thread

Skyfall - 7/10. Expected more after reading the reviews. A mix of Spooks and Home Alone with the least threatening Bond villain since Jonathan Pryce in Tomorrow Never Dies.

"Use the Force Luke............I've run out of lubricant"

Warp drive is no different to the faster than light system on the millenium falcon in effect.

Comparing star trek and star wars is apples and oranges anyway. One is trying a more serious take on sci-fi and the other is space opera.

I love both, BTW...

Well done, gents. You've managed to out-geek ME. That's quite a feat!

Wait till there is a d and d thread. There my geekery will know no bounds.

You'd be talking to yourself. Send yourself a PM and save the rest of us from it.

One of the most popular games in the world dismissed out of hand. You are all philistines. For shame.

One of the biggest wastes of time ever in the world dismissed out of hand. You are all philistines. For shame.

Fixed.

In other news, on the debate, 2 great books:
physics_of_star_trek_lg.jpg

51ecSx8v08L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

I'm not science nerdy enough to get everything in the lawrence krauss book.

I do love the Is Data Human book though. Partially as I did my dissertation on Artificial Intelligence.

I did enjoy the Star Wars films (middle 3) for the Westerns they were written as and I'm with Paddy and Langers in the opinion that they were ground breaking for film makers (although some would argue that Alien did just as much for Sci-fi) and then Lucas turned to sugary shite. As for Star Trek, nothing but 'America will save the world' bollocks and the series are a bunch of social workers trying to write all the wrongs of human nature. May as well watch Downton Abbey for your ethos. The scene in Bill and Ted's Bogus Journey where they run up the rock in the desert is brilliant parody.

I watched the Iron Man 3 trailer and it looks good, interestingly Shane Black, the director (wrote the Lethal Weapons too) is the first of Arnie's troops to be killed by the Predator in the 1988 classic.

You want to mix western and sci-fi, look no further than Westworld - Yul Brynner is brilliant in it.

Strangely I almost don't think of Alien as sci-fi. Yes, I know that sounds daft but the whole premise and plot that Ridley Scott came up with is actually the ultimate slasher movie that happens to be set on a spaceship and with a somewhat unconventional Jason Vorhees / Michael Myers. I love that film.

You want to mix western and sci-fi, look no further than Westworld - Yul Brynner is brilliant in it.

Strangely I almost don't think of Alien as sci-fi. Yes, I know that sounds daft but the whole premise and plot that Ridley Scott came up with is actually the ultimate slasher movie that happens to be set on a spaceship and with a somewhat unconventional Jason Vorhees / Michael Myers. I love that film.

Great shout Paddy, love Westworld and I never thought of Alien like that but I guess it is pretty good horror. It's a wonder how far they went off beam with the series with that godforsaken tripe that is AVP.

The screenplay to Star Wars Episode VII is being written by the man who wrote Toy Story 3.

Don't know whether this is a good or a bad thing - Vader > Zurg for a start, but Rex > Jar Jar.

Watched The Amazing Spiderman last night. A thumbs up from me .

Back