• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Film Thread

Watched quite a few films on my week off, I'll see if I can remember them all.

Nightmare On Elm Street (2011) - 6/10. Not a patch on the original, and I'm not sure why remakes of classics are 'all the rage'. Freddy was a joke, and it deviated enough from the original to make it uninteresting.

The Thing (2011) - 7/10. For a prequel it drew on too many points of the original classic. Having said that it did end well enough so as to run seamlessly into Carpenter's first installment. Plenty of gore and decent enough special effects, if you;re a fan of the first one it's worth a watch.

Limitless - 7/10. Decent premise and well acted throughout, it just seemed to fizzle out towards the end which was disappointing. It sort of drags you in but fails to deliver that killer blow in the final 30 minutes. Still a good film to pass a couple of hours.

Source Code - 7.5/10. Excellent premise, lazily executed. A here/there start rolls into a pretty good storyline, but the last half is so predictable which wasted a good film. It's also pretty short so it seems as if the idea couldn't be expanded enough. Definitely worth a watch.

Predators - 7/10. You can't help but compare to the start of the franchise with films like this, and while it may be a decent standalone movie to newcomers, it doesn't stand up to the original. The 'surprise' character can be sussed after 30 minutes and the ending is painfully obvious. Decent time killer.

Underworld: Awakening - 7.5/10. Good to see Kate Beckinsale back in the role, that's the only reason I watched it. Well, not really as I thought the first two were decent, as was this one. It's standard fare if you've seen the others but well worth a watch.

30 Days Of Night: Dark Days - 5.5/10. Not a patch on the first installment, and I was surprised to see Steve Niles had something to do with this. Started off well enough but descended into the usual predictable drab ramble. If you're a fan of IDW comics or Steve Niles you'll probably be disappointed. Also included the most pointless, terribly shot sex scene I've had the misfortune to witness.

The Woman In Black - 5.5/10. Harry Potter in English ghost story. Sorry, in poor English ghost story. If you expect to be scared, chilled or even slightly uncomfortable - don't.

Didn't realize 30 days of night had a sequel. I loved the first one, but is the second actually worth even watching?

Didn't realize 30 days of night had a sequel. I loved the first one, but is the second actually worth even watching?

The first one was a great film, and seeing as I loved the comics I watched the second one. It follows straight on from the end of the first although it doesn't star Melissa George as Stella which is unfortunate. It's worth watching for me solely because Steve Niles is involved (he wrote the comics) and it does end with a lead to a third in the series. Don't expect too much, certainly not as much as the first offered, and you'll probably enjoy it for what it is.

I thought I recognised Kiele Sanchez - She was in Lost.

just seen a trailer for a film called, abbraham lincoln vampire detective.

Wha t. The. Fuck?????????

is opinion here divided on prometheus then? trying to decide whether to go...

I thought it was ok but nowhere near as good as the hype lead me to believe it was....which I guess means hype won as the cinema had my money!

It's been getting mediocre reviews. Lots of disappointment, a few who really enjoyed it.

To be expected with a big franchise like that, and a disconnected prequel to a 30 year old film that people love though.

Just caught 15 mins of Home Alone 3 on Film4.

Painful.

I never got around to prometheus....
So, who is going to see Ted?

Anyone heard of Centurion? My mate has lent it to me saying it's a British version of Gladiator (even though Gladiator features British actors, was filmed in Britain and has a British director...). Haven't got around to watching it yet though.

I went to see Spiderman last night.

Thoroughly enjoyable and much better than those shit Toby Maguire films.

Anyone heard of Centurion? My mate has lent it to me saying it's a British version of Gladiator (even though Gladiator features British actors, was filmed in Britain and has a British director...). Haven't got around to watching it yet though.

Yep, seen it. Its good but not brilliant :)

Just watched The Whistleblower, how come true stuff is so much more harrowing than fiction ?

Just seen the trailer for the Jack Reacher movie. Tom Cruise in the main role, terrible decision. Putting him in a plaid shirt does not make him Jack Reacher and never will.

Just seen the trailer for the Jack Reacher movie. Tom Cruise in the main role, terrible decision. Putting him in a plaid shirt does not make him Jack Reacher and never will.

It's like casting Kevin Francis as the lead role in a film about Diego Maradona.

I love the Jack Reacher books. I will not watch any film that has the most incredibly awful casting imaginable for a part that should be so important.

I still can't believe they cast him. It makes me so angry to think about it!!!

It's like casting Kevin Francis as the lead role in a film about Diego Maradona.

I love the Jack Reacher books. I will not watch any film that has the most incredibly awful casting imaginable for a part that should be so important.

I still can't believe they cast him. It makes me so angry to think about it!!!

+1 it needed some big fucker who could act.

Back