• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Euro 2024 Thread

It's just awful goalkeeping, it was obvious what was about to happen as a result of Seaman's positioning, even the commentator pre empted it.

Again Taylor is unlucky that such a good keeper is having such a brain fart.
And again - after years of being one of the best #2s in the world waiting for Shilton to call it a day, Chris Woods fell off a cliff when his time actually came around under Taylor.

Chris Woods in both the games v Poland and Norway is just appalling. Comes rushing out for the Poland goal when he could easily have stayed home. Passes it straight to a Poland player but gets away with it.
In Norway first goal takes a big deflection but he goes down way to early the second goal he’s leaning so far back he looks like he’s dodging a bullet in the matrix.
Not sure who the ref was for the Holland game but it’s still one of the most inconsistent, incompetent displays I’ve ever seen. The Koeman foul is an easy decision.

Chris Woods in both the games v Poland and Norway is just appalling. Comes rushing out for the Poland goal when he could easily have stayed home. Passes it straight to a Poland player but gets away with it.
In Norway first goal takes a big deflection but he goes down way to early the second goal he’s leaning so far back he looks like he’s dodging a bullet in the matrix.
Not sure who the ref was for the Holland game but it’s still one of the most inconsistent, incompetent displays I’ve ever seen. The Koeman foul is an easy decision.

Referee: Karl-Josef Assenmacher (Germany)

For all the bad luck and calls that could/should have gone our way - Taylor ditching Waddle and Beardsley when both were still SUPERB players will never make any sense.

Waddle was Marseille's best player when they made the European Cup final and Beardsley scored 20+ PL goals as late as 1993/94.

For all the bad luck and calls that could/should have gone our way - Taylor ditching Waddle and Beardsley when both were still SUPERB players will never make any sense.

Waddle was Marseille's best player when they made the European Cup final and Beardsley scored 20+ PL goals as late as 1993/94.
Yep, like you say he hated flair!

Did similar with Wolves really, other than Froggatt and Daley (!), he replaced our "footballers" (Keen, Marsden, Cook) with workhorses (who weren't very good)

Yep, like you say he hated flair!

Did similar with Wolves really, other than Froggatt and Daley (!), he replaced our "footballers" (Keen, Marsden, Cook) with workhorses (who weren't very good)

Why, just why

Three Lawrie McMenemy things.

1) To this day, he's always at Sports Personality of the Year, without fail. Someone must have given him a lifetime pass in about 1983.

2) Throughout the documentary he's always wearing a blazer, everyone else in training gear.

3) His "I derrrrrrrrn't believe it" (I think from when Leonhardsen scores for Norway) is another one to throw into normal conversation.
About 1996 was on the same flight as Lawrie & he was still wearing a blazer

Just found an old squad from Aug/Sep 2014. What a load of shit! We've come a long way.

Goalkeepers: Fraser Forster (Southampton), Ben Foster (West Bromwich Albion), Joe Hart (Manchester City)

Defenders: Leighton Baines (Everton), Gary Cahill (Chelsea), Calum Chambers (Arsenal), Phil Jagielka (Everton), Phil Jones (Manchester United), Danny Rose (Tottenham Hotspur), John Stones (Everton)

Midfielders: Jack Colback (Newcastle United), Fabian Delph (Aston Villa), Jordan Henderson (Liverpool), James Milner (Manchester City), Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain (Arsenal) Raheem Sterling (Liverpool), Andros Townsend (Tottenham Hotspur), Jack Wilshere (Arsenal)

Forwards: Rickie Lambert (Liverpool), Wayne Rooney (Manchester United), Daniel Sturridge (Liverpool), Danny Welbeck (Manchester United)

Just found an old squad from Aug/Sep 2014. What a load of shit! We've come a long way.

Goalkeepers: Fraser Forster (Southampton), Ben Foster (West Bromwich Albion), Joe Hart (Manchester City)

Defenders: Leighton Baines (Everton), Gary Cahill (Chelsea), Calum Chambers (Arsenal), Phil Jagielka (Everton), Phil Jones (Manchester United), Danny Rose (Tottenham Hotspur), John Stones (Everton)

Midfielders: Jack Colback (Newcastle United), Fabian Delph (Aston Villa), Jordan Henderson (Liverpool), James Milner (Manchester City), Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain (Arsenal) Raheem Sterling (Liverpool), Andros Townsend (Tottenham Hotspur), Jack Wilshere (Arsenal)

Forwards: Rickie Lambert (Liverpool), Wayne Rooney (Manchester United), Daniel Sturridge (Liverpool), Danny Welbeck (Manchester United)
Some stunning central midfield options.

I did like Ox, just could never stay fit though.

Pretty much no-one in there (bar possibly Baines) would play now. Jagielka and Cahill were past their best by that point, that's a very, very young Stones, Wilshere very much in flattering to deceive mode, Sturridge had already had his one good season ever and Rooney well into a Winter Olympics slalom style descent.

James Milner wasn't exactly young back then , offered another year at Brighton apparently for 24/25 . Some man to keep it going .

James Milner wasn't exactly young back then , offered another year at Brighton apparently for 24/25 . Some man to keep it going .
Yeah, it's ridiculous. He made his PL debut for Leeds when I was still at uni, I'm 43 now.

Yeah, it's ridiculous. He made his PL debut for Leeds when I was still at uni, I'm 43 now.
Will always be famous in my head for beating Rooney's record of being the youngest ever PL scorer . Did he beat that record only a few weeks after Rooney scored I think ?

Yep, Rooney's goal vs Arsenal was October 2002, Milner scored for Leeds in December 2002

Really poor half that. Their keeper hasn't had to make a save. Ramsdale had to make one and didn't.

Back