• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Euro 2024 Thread

Norway away is someone getting their brain completely scrambled. They always played this long diagonal to Jostein Flo who started nominally wide right. He got obsessed with stopping that and ended up with an incredibly strange team that had Pallister on the left of a back three (which we'd rarely played since Italia 90) but more often pulling right out to LB, with Lee Sharpe playing sort of as a LWB.

He got a bit unlucky that Shearer got injured halfway through 92/93 so missed a fair few qualifiers, and Des Walker properly dropped off a cliff as a top level player during his time.

Probably Gascoines worst game in an England shirt, Norway had a decent side at the time but absolutely weren’t a better side player for player just well drilled.
I agree on Taylor on human level seems a genuinely good bloke who you’d want to work for.
I think his niche was working at club level with a close knit group that he could mould into his thinking and tactics, England job just as you said scrambled his mind and having players come and go didn’t suit him.
Have to say the press at time were nothing short of a disgrace the way they hounded him.

Just watched it again - was Seaman still organising his wall too? He was stood by the far post?

Was it Wouters than fractured Gascoigne's cheekbone? (Not sure if that was the same period)

Just watched it again - was Seaman still organising his wall too? He was stood by the far post?
Yep.

Brian Moore with the "he's going to chip him, he's going to chip him..." (or something like that)

Des Walker getting burned by Overmars for pace at Wembley and tugging at his shirt for 40 yards...allowing him to fall over inside the box. Either take him out way earlier and take the card (of whatever colour, there was only about 5 minutes left so whatever) or let him go.

I re-watch An Impossible Job at least a couple of times a year, it's still utterly compelling.

Graham Taylor was a lovely, lovely man but he did some very odd things with England. It's like he was systematically trying to get rid of any flair whatsoever.

I mean Euro 92...you want to pick a Man Utd central midfielder, that's fine. Robson is too old now so forget him. In 1992 which one of Paul Ince or Neil Webb would you go for?!
I’m watching it right now!

Loves going on about restarts. And is constantly making decisions based on what the press might think. Never stood chance from what I can tell

Neal and McMenemy seemed like a fat load of help mind!

Loves going on about restarts. And is constantly making decisions based on what the press might think. Never stood chance from what I can tell

The 2 coaches in Mike Bassett England manager are very loosely based on Neal and McMenemy

Yes boss.
Phil Neal was the former player who wanders around the boxes at Anfield the other week.

I was amazed how good his personality and sense of humour was given how I remembered him on The Impossible Job, as a dour yes man!

Can't help but feel sorry for him.

I loved the bits of him at home with his wife, he was a genuinely good man.

Three Lawrie McMenemy things.

1) To this day, he's always at Sports Personality of the Year, without fail. Someone must have given him a lifetime pass in about 1983.

2) Throughout the documentary he's always wearing a blazer, everyone else in training gear.

3) His "I derrrrrrrrn't believe it" (I think from when Leonhardsen scores for Norway) is another one to throw into normal conversation.

Three Lawrie McMenemy things.

1) To this day, he's always at Sports Personality of the Year, without fail. Someone must have given him a lifetime pass in about 1983.

2) Throughout the documentary he's always wearing a blazer, everyone else in training gear.

3) His "I derrrrrrrrn't believe it" (I think from when Leonhardsen scores for Norway) is another one to throw into normal conversation.
At my uni in Southampton he was honestly in the front row of pretty much every football/coaching based guest lecture we had.

I always remember him comparing Gazza to a lead violinist

Last time Channel 4 showed it they bleeped out all the swearing which ruined the show

I always remember him comparing Gazza to a lead violinist

Last time Channel 4 showed it they bleeped out all the swearing which ruined the show
It’s on YouTube!

Back