• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Euro 2024 Thread

That’s the one. Finished 2-1 (was it 1-2?). 9.5 million pound Juan Pablo Angel played for them and was hopeless.

Funnily enough that was the first time I took my kids to a Wolves game as I couldn’t afford to take them to a league match. I bought the Wolves Union Jack flag from the club shop that day and my daughter draped it over her shoulders. It was a proud moment. That was the Wolves flag that was up on the balcony last weekend in La Rascasse at the GP. Got fucking mullered on hospitality and unless someone has removed it it’s still there. Felt like a fitting end,

Great memories.
Yeah think that was pretty similar situation for us, my Dad would take us up to see family and try to tie it in with a pre season friendly.

It's only a friendly but doesn't bode well. Much too slow and the lack of a left-back was seriously hurting the width. Most important thing would have been to sign off with a win and go into the tournament with a positive atmosphere but it was just so laborious, needed to simply take the shot sometimes especially Palmer.

Went into the last Euros on pretty poor form so doesn't necessarily mean much. Germany (when they were good) used to always play rubbish in their pre-tournament friendlies as far as I can remember?
Laborious is definitely the word.

This is Southgate's chance to change it when we're in that situation and I'm not sure he can. He's got the players to do it but not sure he's got the tactics.

Walker and Trippier offering absolutely nothing. Trippier can be excused to some degree at LB, but Walker is a calamity in these situations . He's hopeless in possession and is no threat going beyond your RW. I can accept the logic of his pace in a 1v1 against an Mbappe, but Trent is a million times superior in every other aspect, particularly against teams who'll sit. If you need the extra security, play Gomez at LB to form a three and give Trent some freedom.

Ideally Reece James can stay fit in the future and provide the balance of the two.
Agreed. I'd much rather play TAA in that inverted wing-back role against 90% of teams as he offers much more threat with the ball to help break teams down.

Was out last night so didn't see the game. The goal though:

a) I don't think it's an accident that when Mainoo plays for club and country, it becomes very very easy to play straight through the midfield. Clearly has tons of ability but he is not anchoring any team at the moment

b) It's bloody awful by Ramsdale

If things go as predicted (big statement) it could well be a France v England in the SF.
The closer the tournament gets the less confident I become, Fridays debacle doesn’t help either.

If things go as predicted (big statement) it could well be a France v England in the SF.
The closer the tournament gets the less confident I become, Fridays debacle doesn’t help either.
From a psychological point of view it must have been hard for the players to get "up" for the game against Iceland.

They already knew who was and wasn't in the squad so they would have relaxed knowing they didn't have to really push hard to make the squad.

However it was of course a disappointing performance, and the defence is a huge concern. Stones and Ramsdale massively at fault for the goal, the latter won't play a minute in the Euros, but the former is our best CB!

Didn’t France just draw with Canada themselves
jesse-marsch.jpg

They did putting Friday aside the defence is a real concern, probably going to need to shithouse a result from somewhere along the way.

people getting wound up or worried on the basis of 2 friendlies that aren't at full tilt is like people thinking we're certs for relegation because we lose a pre season friendly against lowe rleague opposition.

people getting wound up or worried on the basis of 2 friendlies that aren't at full tilt is like people thinking we're certs for relegation because we lose a pre season friendly against lowe rleague opposition.
Like when we lost 5-1 to Morecombe? ;)

Euro Prediction League - Round 1 of the Group fixtures and Winner.

Back