• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Euro 2024 Thread

"You can't go experimenting with youth in the knockout stages, we've got tried and tested players with experience at this level and we trust them to get the job done"
Yawn.

Back in my hotel now. I'm really disappointed by all three of those group games. The tactics in all three were very poor. I can somewhat excuse the Serbia result given the context of it being the first game and getting an early goal, but in the bigger picture everything is pointing to a really poor showing at this tournament. Tonight was reminiscent of the 0-0 draw with Slovakia in 2016. Manager with no clue how to get the players to work and can't break down an average side - thankfully on this occasion we have still managed to win the group, but we were one Danish goal away from playing Germany.

Lack of width is shocking. England are an incredibly predictable team and frankly easy to defend against. We are regressing back to twenty years ago, relying on random moments of individual quality amongst a cascade of poor performances. With 26 players it was worth the gamble on Shaw's fitness but to not have any natural left-back as an option is scandalous. Foden and Bellingham aren't working at all, they occupy the same spaces. Meanwhile Kane is always in the wrong position. Our subs are too late and mostly ineffective. That inability to change the plan mid-game is becoming more glaring than ever.

Been pretty patient with Southgate and I think his record is better than his critics say but this looks to be one tournament too far. I liked where England was going in Qatar and we went toe-to-toe with one of the best international teams out there but we are going backwards now.

Before the tournament began I thought he would leave no matter the outcome, that is for the best. Our run-in is still reasonable but I don't fancy England against any half-decent side. Teams like Switzerland and Austria (and Italy at the last Euros) are showing what a difference a decent manager can make. It's a shame we are one of the worst sides to watch in what has otherwise been a really enjoyable tournament.

Can't remember who said this on twitter:
"England once again lulling themselves into a false sense of insecurity"

Updated odds:

England 4/1
Spain 9/2
Germany 9/2
France 5/1
Portugal 6/1
Netherlands 14/1
Italy 18/1
Belgium 18/1
Austria 25/1
Switzerland 40/1
Denmark 66/1
Turkey 100/1
Romania 125/1
Ukraine 150/1
Slovakia 250/1
Slovenia 250/1
Hungary 250/1
Georgia 1000/1

Updated odds:

England 4/1
Spain 9/2
Germany 9/2
France 5/1
Portugal 6/1
Netherlands 14/1
Italy 18/1
Belgium 18/1
Austria 25/1
Switzerland 40/1
Denmark 66/1
Turkey 100/1
Romania 125/1
Ukraine 150/1
Slovakia 250/1
Slovenia 250/1
Hungary 250/1
Georgia 1000/1
Gambling commission should open up an investigation on this too

I can only imagine that being favourites and our odds are so short as we are in the bottom half of the draw rather than any notion that we deserve to be on merit.
Yeah, pretty much (plus mug punters moving the price, as always)

Tbf France and Italy have looked awful, Netherlands finished 3rd in a 3 horse race and Germany nearly lost in the only proper test they've had so far, it's only Spain and Portugal who've looked good from the favourites (and just good, not outstanding), Austria have been better than most of the big nations.

Yeah, pretty much (plus mug punters moving the price, as always)

Tbf France and Italy have looked awful, Netherlands finished 3rd in a 3 horse race and Germany nearly lost in the only proper test they've had so far, it's only Spain and Portugal who've looked good from the favourites (and just good, not outstanding), Austria have been better than most of the big nations.
Austria are too long at 25s considering they looked half decent in winning their Group and are in the bottom half of the draw.

Is Alaba going to miss the whole tourney? Feels cosmically wrong for Austria to finally have a good run and he can’t participate.

Is Alaba going to miss the whole tourney? Feels cosmically wrong for Austria to finally have a good run and he can’t participate.
Not in the squad, you're on a run of these!

Not in the squad, you're on a run of these!
I definitely saw him on the bench (during a broadcast, not on the subs list tbc). Maybe just as a guest as I at least knew he wasn’t an actual sub option.

Ugh, life is making it too hard to keep up properly anymore.

Still feels a bit strange! Class player IMO (he’s got to be getting old at this point, too, though. Which I don’t want to think about!).

Back