• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Euro 2024 Thread

We won't go beyond the quarters irrespective of the draw. The players are scared shitless, paranoid defensive press conferences and always a safety first touch, rather than the first time ball. Seen it so many times before.
Yeah, there’s something missing even compared to previous tournaments under Southgate. I thought we were quite good in the last World Cup and a bit unlucky to lose to a good French team, we look nowhere near as good as that this time round. Maybe just one tournament too many

It doesn't matter whether we play Switzerland or Spain tbh. We'll just set up to nullify the space and attacking talent at both ends of the pitch and it'll just be whoever manages to score from 3-4 decent moves that shared across the whole game for both teams. Might get knocked out in the next round, might win the final 1-0. Might have tense excitement for the last ten minutes of each game but god knows the first 80 ain't gonna be pleasing to watch. Such a waste of probably the most talented group of attacking footballers in Germany

Yeah, there’s something missing even compared to previous tournaments under Southgate. I thought we were quite good in the last World Cup and a bit unlucky to lose to a good French team, we look nowhere near as good as that this time round. Maybe just one tournament too many
I agree to an extent but we’ve had a complete void on the left hand side. An out of form Chilwell must have been a better option.
I’ve not been critical of Southgate until this tournament but our crap performances have been on him rather than the players. If he’s going then at least go down fighting rather than this nonsense.

It wasn’t for the want of trying but we failed to create much at all. Palmer & Gordon in for Saka and Gallagher.
Bellingham has been unable to influence the game in the last two so either put him alongside Rice or on the subs bench. He looks totally spent.
And TAA for Tripper. Agreed

We've gone into the tournament with so many players in form. Saka, Kane, Bellingham, Rice, Foden, Pickford, 6 of the starting 11, not just had good seasons, but the season of their lives. Awful management to turn that into self doubt and anxiousness, the opposite of what has been Southgate's biggest strength.

Croatia out. Need a Georgia or Czechia win to avoid the Dutch.

They keep saying that we just need to be a bit more clinical as if we're in loads of dangerous territory and just missing a final touch or a bit of luck in front of goal, it's bollocks. We're not looking close to creativity. We're not stretching anybody, turning anybody, we're not dragging defenders around or creating space. We're nothing.

I know in football, especially at international level, mid and low ranking sides are better at keeping things tight, but they rarely look as comfortable as we're allowing defences to be

It's all slow stuff in front of a defence who just say 'go on, what are you going to do'.

So poor in terms of tempo and tactics.
Didn’t even want to take pot shots. Rice had two good opportunities to pull the trigger first half and he bottled it.

He could drop almost anyone going forward and they'd have little complaint.

Bellingham, Trippier, Saka should all be under pressure. Kane gets a pass as he was better tonight and levels above the alternatives.

They keep saying that we just need to be a bit more clinical as if we're in loads of dangerous territory and just missing a final touch or a bit of luck in front of goal, it's bollocks. We're not looking close to creativity. We're not stretching anybody, turning anybody, we're not dragging defenders around or creating space. We're nothing.

I know in football, especially at international level, mid and low ranking sides are better at keeping things tight, but they rarely look as comfortable as we're allowing defences to be
Oblak had nothing to do.

Apart from against the Dutch, we were poor until the semis in 1990 and 1996. Hopefully we’ll somehow find a way. Not looking good at the minute and the manager isn’t brave enough to instigate the change required.

Back